[Mk2] [Turbo] Car won't start - distributor seems to have intermitant spark

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

James MR2 Turbo

[Mk2] [Turbo] Car won't start - distributor seems to have intermitant spark

Post by James MR2 Turbo »

Hope someone can help me with this problem.

My mr2 cut out last night, initially thought it was out of fuel as it was getting low :oops: (shell garages are few and far between here) got some fuel and it started after some time. I drove a few hundred yards and it died again and wouldn't start.
In the end I called the breakdown out, he checked fuel was getting to the engine and it was. He then checked spark at the plug and the engine wasn't getting one. He took the distributor cap off and no spark there either. After a few goes at turning it over there was a spark at the distributor but then it wouldn't spark again after that.
He suggested it might be the voltage amplifier or the distributor but I have no idea.

Does any one have any ideas? What do I need to check to diagnose the issue?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks

James
afennell
IMOC Organiser

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Car won't start - distributor seems to have intermitant spark

Post by afennell »

check for error codes,

http://www.ayrpark.plus.com/errorcodes.html

probably the coil
James MR2 Turbo

Thanks for the link. I will have a proper look and try to check the error codes tonight. That page mentions rev3, mine is rev2 (I should've said) will that information still apply?

Thanks
g.lewarne

Post by g.lewarne »

ok this is a werid one folks - stumped me.

went up to give james a hand, first thing we checked was if spark going through king lead - nope. Stuck it on multimeter, infinite resistance.

- Swapped the king lead from my car over to his. checked all the ht leads -all good, still no start.

- Checked fuel pump relay engaging - fine

- Checked wiring plugs to ignitor + coil - fine

- Checked coil/ignitor mounting to earth - fine

- Checked all engine earths - fine

Now, at this point i know you all immediately thinking its the coil or ignitor, as indeed I was. So I thought would double check for error codes before finally diagnosing coil as the likely culprit.

Bridged TE1 and E1 - igniton on 2 - the CEL lamp was not flashing, just constantly on. Tried again, making sure wire bridge was making good contct - again CEL light not flashing in any way, just constantly on. Thought to check ECU plugs, they were all fine as were all the fuses and the IGN relay (swapped from my car to check).

1) likely coil is still the ignition culprit?
2) whats causing the CEL not to flash under any circumstances? and is it related to above ?
Slarty wrote:
it's just that we subscrible to the theory of hitting it harder until it works. Or something falls off, in which case you've hit it too hard.
James MR2 Turbo

Thanks for explaing all that, I really don't have a clue with this stuff! I would've made no sense if I'd tried to explain what you tried.

I have ordered a new coil pack and ht leads from here;

http://japanesecarimports.net/

I've also been quoted a good price for the igniter from here;

http://www.tcbparts.co.uk

Hopefully it's one of these components which is the culprit and I'll have it back on road soon.
James MR2 Turbo

Ok so I have now replaced the coil pack, the igniter and HT leads and it still won't start.

Cam belt is fine as rotor arm is turning.

I am really stuck, didn't show any error codes but didn't seem to be recognising the diagnostic ports ports were bridged, could this be a sign of what the problem might be?

I'm 99% sure its not the alarm system either as when the car is imobilised the engine doesn't turn over which it is doing.

Any thoughts from anyone on this are greatly appreciated!
g.lewarne

Post by g.lewarne »

james had a minor thought on somethng else to check.

look head on at the dizzy cap, at about 5-o-clock position quite far back into the distriburot itself is a wiring plug. check the connections arent dirty or corroded and make sure its plugged in tight.

i didnt think to check this when i was up there with you, its quite important though as its the distributor position signal pickup for the ecu.

I now think though that the fact the CEL light isnt flashing or doing anything at all when the disgnostic port is bridged is to do with this....

you got any other members near you which you could do a ECU test swap with? would not work with mine so didnt suggest it as obv. mine isnt a turbo
Slarty wrote:
it's just that we subscrible to the theory of hitting it harder until it works. Or something falls off, in which case you've hit it too hard.
James MR2 Turbo

Thanks Gavin,

I will check that today.

Don't know any tubby owners near me but if some one wants to step forward and help me out it would be very welcome! :pray:
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

i have one here you can try if you pay the postage
James MR2 Turbo

Ok so still not got my Mr2 going :(

My GF found this which I have tried working through but there are a few bits I don't understand and hoped someone might be able to make more sense of it.

I got as far as "check resistance of ignition coil" but I'm not sure what it means by primary and secondary, does anyone know?

I'm also unclear on the following step "check resistance of signal generator (pick up coil)" what is this referring too?

I also don't know where I would "check igt signal from ecu" hope someone can help with some of this.

Thanks

James
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

I'm confused... :?

James MR2 Turbo wrote:Ok so I have now replaced the coil pack, the igniter and HT leads and it still won't start.

So why

James MR2 Turbo wrote:
I got as far as "check resistance of ignition coil" but I'm not sure what it means by primary and secondary, does anyone know?

Did you replace coil and ignitor with known good units? If so, the replacements are unlikely to be the culprits...

You keep saying it won't start. Just to confirm, have you got a spark at the plugs or not?
James MR2 Turbo

Yes coil and ignitor have been replaced. I was just working through the flow diagram as I have very little knowledge of how an ignition system works and thought it best to start at the start if that makes sense.

I am reading 12v at the coil but no spark from the king lead so no spark at plugs.
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

So we know you have good coil and ignitor, and good volts to each of those components.

In most cases, i'd be looking to try a different distributor, but being mindful of your comments regarding the CEL, i'd be trying another ECU next.
James MR2 Turbo

Thanks for the help!

We removed the distributor cap and visually inspected the pick ups and all looked ok. From what I've checked I was suspecting ECU as well, I will look into sourcing a replacement today.

Thanks again for all the advice.

James
g.lewarne

Post by g.lewarne »

James MR2 Turbo wrote:Thanks for the help!

We removed the distributor cap and visually inspected the pick ups and all looked ok. From what I've checked I was suspecting ECU as well, I will look into sourcing a replacement today.

Thanks again for all the advice.

James

James, deffo think its the ECU if its still not working.....

And peter was referring to the mechanical part of the distributor itself, not just the cap.

send me a text if you need a hand :thumleft:
James MR2 Turbo

Thanks mate.

Just got a quote of £80 for a second hand ECU with a warranty! Not bad I thought.

Going to order it this weekend, I will update the thread (hopefully with some good news) once it's arrived and I've tried it.
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

James MR2 Turbo wrote:Thanks mate.

Just got a quote of £80 for a second hand ECU with a warranty! Not bad I thought.

Going to order it this weekend, I will update the thread (hopefully with some good news) once it's arrived and I've tried it.

PM me the part number, and if i have one (which i'm certain i have), i'll send it to you for the postage cost. If you don't need it, just send it back.
James MR2 Turbo

So the saga continues. I replaced the ECU and the car started! Left it ticking over until it was warm, all seemed fine, the idle was smooth and it warmed up to normal temp in the usual amount of time.

I took it out for a test drive and approximately a mile down the road it cut out (after pulling away and putting my foot down a bit in 2nd). I tried to start it and it turned over but wouldn't go. I turned the ignition off then tried again and it went. After about 200 yards same thing again.

I got another 200 yards to the garage to put air in my tires, turned it off and when I came to start it again it wouldn't go.

I am now getting a spark which I wasn't before I changed the ECU so this now seems to be a new problem. I am getting fuel at the fuel rail also. Does anyone have any thoughts what the problem could be?

Thanks

James

Return to “Electrical”