Is Ebay dead?

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

alfiembra

Is Ebay dead?

Post by alfiembra »

Was on Ebay this evening and did a search for MR2 MK1 and up popped 1908 items click the tab for "auctions only" and the number of available items dropped to just 43.

What is the point of an auction site if everything on it is "Buy it now" at inflated prices.

Alan
kaiowas

Re: Is Ebay dead?

Post by kaiowas »

I think selling on eBay has become too expensive and too much hassle for the occasional seller now, most of the stuff on there is listed by 'professional' sellers. Shame really, the only hope is that they might continue to screw up so much that a viable competitor emerges.
Jiveman

Post by Jiveman »

If you are not VAT registered you will loose about 20% of your Sale. Only Businesses use this service now. Once you have been bitten by the VAT rip off to Switzerland I think you won't sell anything again.

I sold a Camera for £500 but only received £400 after fees. Seller beware.

It's a great shame but Ebay is just a shop window now.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Agreed, the listing prices seem to have got very expensive.
ulysess1966

eBat

Post by ulysess1966 »

It's still a great place to get cheap electronics direct from China :)
Bender Unit

Post by Bender Unit »

Still bargains to be had - 13 Record G clamps of various sizes for £28!

A Fobco Star, bench grinder and Worco vice for £67

And if you buy new - Deep dished suede steering wheel 9identical to sparco's etc) for £35 or 5 magnetic welding clamps for £10.

Thing is buying new off there often means you stuble across a company or products you wouldnt have normally even known exist. Its not all bad.

Couldnt be ar$ed to sell nything on it tho!
ulysess1966

Not what

Post by ulysess1966 »

I just got a full steering rack for my Skoda on eBay with all the pipes, steering sensor and all for £80 delivered. Phoning local scrapyards I couldn't get them to beat that.

Back in the day I bid £10 on a pair of Mk1 T-bar glasses on Boxing Day and won. Even at £10 postage it was a steal.

eBay has it's moments, but it can be time-consuming.
SySanguinary
IMOC Committee

Post by SySanguinary »

I tend to use ebay to buy sundry stuff nowadays: oil filters, cables and other bits and bats.

I've tried selling stuff and found that by the time ebay and paypal (ebay again) fees are paid, it's hardly worth the bother in the first place.

Ebay is pricing itself out of it's own market. Sadly, there is not a huge amount of competition around at the moment...
johnnyarctic

Post by johnnyarctic »

the fee's are just too high really now. hardly see any what i would descibe as "proper" auctions. at least not for the things im looking at
kevin..in

Post by kevin..in »

well I've got a 4AGE 20V 4 branch manifold on its way from that US of A for £80 all in (even if customs sting me its a bargain) good old ebay, try finding one of them at you local car boot :whistle:
alfiembra

Post by alfiembra »

I maybe should have titled this thread is "Ebay UK dead"

I certainly find myself looking further afield now, the US and Germany etc. Always looking for a bargain me :D

Alan

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”