[Mk2] [Turbo] Better Battery!! ? ? ?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

RyanRs

[Mk2] [Turbo] Better Battery!! ? ? ?

Post by RyanRs »

I need a new battery and a standard recommended one will not do! I need something that can run an mr2 Plus all this extra..

2 x SPAL 12" fans
2 x SPAL 10" fans
Car-PC
Touchscreen Moniter
High output Alpine headunit
LinkPlus ECU + 1zz cops (dont know if this uses more power than stock?)
Sub + 2 AMPs

Also ill have converted my rear lights to 4 sidelights / 4 brake lights, i know its not going to make much difference but add that too all the above running at the same time and it all ads up!

Anyway, i dont need any 'Special' battery, and i dont want one thats going to burn out the alternator by demanding too much current, i just want something thats not going to gradually go flat over a few months and allows me a little bit of 'Ignition off ICE on time' ... ?

I have halfords trade card btw 8)
T.F.S.

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Better Battery!! ? ? ?

Post by T.F.S. »

i fitted the biggest halfords one i could, ill get the number if you like
Dangerous

Post by Dangerous »

Optima red top works very well for me .... Copes with the extra load demanded by fans etc.
cvega666

Post by cvega666 »

OPtima FTW, used by audio freaks for a reason.
Current: 2007 Porsche Cayman S
Gone: '94 rev3 NA, '92 rev2 Turbo forged, '07 Civic Type-R
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

T.F.S yea man, whats the part number? ill see what sort of discount i can get..

Also, Optima red top.. that isn't the battery that costs something like £150 is it?
cvega666

Post by cvega666 »

red tops are about 100, yellow top is 200+.
Current: 2007 Porsche Cayman S
Gone: '94 rev3 NA, '92 rev2 Turbo forged, '07 Civic Type-R
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

Do you have a link? all the red tops i can find are about £175 ! :shock:
SFLee

Post by SFLee »

2 x SPAL 12" fans
2 x SPAL 10" fans

depend which model :mrgreen: some spec sugguest it can draw upto 32 amp each
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

i might be off the mark here but

If you buy a all singing all dancing £200 battery and you car is pulling more juice than the alternator can put back in then even the £200 battery will dye after time?

I think you need to work out how many amps your car will be using and how many amps the alternator is putting back in.
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

the alt will supply 100a no problem, i doubt anyone would use anywhere near that unless they are running big audio systems...

a normal large capacity battery should be fine for what ryan wants, audio batterys normally have higher discharge rates and very short warrentys lol
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

alanmr2turbo wrote:i might be off the mark here but

If you buy a all singing all dancing £200 battery and you car is pulling more juice than the alternator can put back in then even the £200 battery will dye after time?

I think you need to work out how many amps your car will be using and how many amps the alternator is putting back in.

You're bang on the mark. As far as I'm aware, the battery is for starting purposes only. Once the engine is running and hence the alternator is turning, the battery will be topped back up to full charge by the alternator and the electrical demand of the vehicle will also be supplied by the alternator.

If you're in the habbit of running electrical devices with the engine off then a bigger battery might be an advantage.
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

Well, i do think that just a larger battery would suffice as im currently using a tiny tiny battery intended for a 1L fiesta or what not.. Tbh i got it for £10 to replace my dead toyota battery. I think the main issue with it is doesn't have enough stored charge to cope with the weight of turning over a 3-sgte, so cranking it soon flattens it and with having so many accessory electrical systems running, the amount of charge given back to the battery is not as much as it would be in a standard mr2 thus leaving the 'Already hard-worked' fiesta battery fighting even more for the next cranking session!

Also, I do like to use my carpc with the engine off sometimes and if playing about with the LinkPlus ecu its handy as i don't need to have the engine running.

Would something like a battery with a high AH and output, say a Diesel battery do the job? Perhaps something like this...

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165762
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

yea i have something like that ryan, ill get you the number later on mate

i have all the stuff you have plus a rockford 1K amplifier, i dont often see voltage drop
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Ryan do you have a Halfrauds trade card?

If not have a look at the Bosch batteries that www.buypartsby.co.uk supply as ther're pretty cheap, even with delivery added. (TBH I'm amazed they'll do delivery on a car battery)

This one's got some oomph:

http://www.buypartsby.co.uk/battery-fin ... eng=2.9000
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

HCB096 is the one i have
paul port

Post by paul port »

The stock Toyota supplied batteries are very very good, have correct sized terminals, goo warranty

and in my experience are cheaper than Halfords.

Car Audio batts - Like Optima (Who really designed the battery for use in Electric Vehicles like forklifts) have only one advantage - Deep Discharge capacity
EG you can run them close to flat without damage.

Diesel cars have bigger batts because you may need to run the pre-heaters for some time in winter before you start the engine ~50A Continuous
- and then the battery has to deliver the Cold-Cranking-Amps necessary to turn over a high compression engine!

So long as your fans / stereo are only running when the engine is, the standard Toyota battery will be fine...
And if you go look, the new replacement Toyota Batts will have a much higher CCA rating than the old one you are throwing away.

(Actually - remember to take the old batt to where-ever you buy the new one from as they should recycle it for you)

Paul
hygt2

Post by hygt2 »

Limeymk1 wrote:Ryan do you have a Halfrauds trade card?

If not have a look at the Bosch batteries that www.buypartsby.co.uk supply as ther're pretty cheap, even with delivery added. (TBH I'm amazed they'll do delivery on a car battery)

This one's got some oomph:

http://www.buypartsby.co.uk/battery-fin ... eng=2.9000

+1

I have got the Bosch S4 battery from them.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

You need a bigger alternator and a standard battery, as has been mentioned in this thread up there ^^^^^. This is what I have with some pretty big current draw.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
mark239

Post by mark239 »

TBH, Halfords 'Trade' card = 20% more expensive than your local motor factors (Vs the usual 100% more expensive)

Return to “Modifications”