Adjustable power steering

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Chunky Monkey

Re: Adjustable power steering

Post by Chunky Monkey »

aaah right, so can a stereo still be fitted properly or does it need to be moved up/down to the other slot?
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

The stereo will still fit no problem, the motor body just intrudes into the stereo frame at the back corner.
flippin'eck

Post by flippin'eck »

Out of interest Paul what is the current status of this, are kits available? Can you do this mod for folks as an all-in job and if so what would the likely cost be.

I have an extra stalk switch on mine - on the left hand side of the column, in the mirror image of the indicator switch position. It's a starlet wiper stalk used to provide the buttons for cruise control, since it looks like they never made a right hand drive cruise stalk. It takes up a similar sort of space to the indicator switch, just, on the other (left hand) side.

Would that intrude on the space required for the PAS?

I used to have unlimited time to sit and play with my '2 but having a 2 year old has put paid to that, hence why I'm asking about pro fitment.

What's the likely impact on insurance?

Drop me a PM with more info if you have some, thanks, Neil
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Hi Neil, i can only fit this system to cars that come to me now i'm afraid. To produce a home fitting kit would take a lot of effort on my part to make it, and please excuse me for this "idiot proof".

I'm sure you can appreciate where i'm coming from there, last thing i need is someone messing around with steering components and not doing it properly, i'd be in the firing line liability wise big time! Although it's highly unlikely it's not a chance i'd be happy to take, so sadly after a lot of thought kits won't be made for this mod.

I would gladly fit the system for you though, i'll PM you tomorrow with expected costs.

Now, your extra stalk, i'm intrigued by that, i've been looking to add a left stalk for ages now, as a one touch wiper activator instead of reaching for the dash knob, i hate taking my hand off the wheel to flick the wipers on for one wipe. I've been looking at old Corolla stalks etc for an OEM solution, i seem to remember an old 80's Corolla i bought years ago for its 4age engine (FWD) having both stalks.

So i'd love to see pics and hear more details about your Starlet stalk conversion, sounds exactly what i am after.
PeteP

Post by PeteP »

BUMP!

The one thing that I struggle with in my MK1 is the steering at low speed and some PAS would be a huge bonus for me. Before I get accused of being a wimp, let me point out that my left elbow was broken in 5 places (6 if you include the break the surgeon added) and I only have about 50% strength in that arm. I also struggle a bit with the car height due to knee & back problems, but once I'm in I'm fine.

I understand why you wouldn't do a kit for this, but is there any chance of a directions for a DIY project? Of course, I'd understand your position if its a business decision to keep it to yourself - gotta make a return from your efforts!
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

I'm afraid something like this can only be done in situ on each car, i have already given the info out on how it can be done, but the finer measurements and dummy fitting need to be done on the car.

I do have the spare parts to make this happen if you want them, a Corsa power column and an adjustable resistor kit to vary the amount of PS.
PeteP

Post by PeteP »

Cheers Paul. I'll have a look for the info.

Whether I get to do the mod myself is another story but it would be so much help for me that I have to look at it.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”