SW20 track car, Sydney, Australia

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

B24

SW20 track car, Sydney, Australia

Post by B24 »

After seeing the huge following of MR2 in the Northern Hemisphere I deceided to show what I came up with in Australia.

The build and development of this MR2 over the last two years achieving pretty positive results.

Weight reduction
The goal was for 1100kg dry, but this was goal was smashed when the car was weighed at World Time Attack at Eastern Creek, Australia, with a weight of 1030kg. The cost to see this weight was minimal at close to $10 per kg.
The new goal of under 1000kg is quite achievable with 15kg already found since WTAC at a cost of close to $100 per kg.
950kg is the ultimate weight but will require $100+ per kg to see this figure.

Handing:
EVO and a few others helped a lot regarding the set up for the car which I took on board and added to the car. This included roll centre adjustment plates with camber off set, lowering the rear toe adjustment links then fitting AE86 toe links,lowering the steering tie rods, the caster links have also been lowered. Rear camber adjustment has also been adapted. All links are urethane or rose jointed. Coil overs are Tein with 8kg(Tein) rear and 7.5kg (Eibach) up front. Sway bars are 22mm front and rear.
The standard electric power steering rack has been kept but all the power assist has been removed. The standard steering column has been removed with a Toyota Echo column fitted for improved weight reduction, steering offset improved.
So all the parts are there but the car now needs to be 'set' correctly (roll centre, corner weight, camber,caster etc.) to take advantage of the improvements or it will simply be uncompetitive.

The Chassis:
Seam welded front and rear strut towers, all front and rear inner guards, windscreen frame, door frames, rear window, and other bits and pieces.
Installed a 10 point bonded CDS roll cage which starts at the the front strut tower and finished at the rear strut tower. Additional brace from roll hoop to the engine mounts.
Custom front strut brace. Custom rear strut brace.
Chassis rails filled with high density 'two pac' foam.

Brakes:
The car was built for running in a 300km endurance race which is held every November 180km south of Sydney. So when it came to brakes, I did some research and came up with the option of picking up some high quality second hand calipers, new rotors, then designing rotor hats and brackets to suit. Competition Race Components, Western Australia provided me with the calipers, rotors and much needed advise and formula's to fitting the 'right'braking set up for the car.
The front uses 330x35 rotors with Alcon 'C' spec calipers, the rear use 300x35wilwood rotors with 4 piston Wilwood Superlite calipers.
To make the most of this set up, a full race spec pedal system was the only way to go. A full Tilton set up was sourced starting with Series 600 triple floor mounted pedal box, new separate brake master cylinders for braking, master cylinder for clutch, all with remote reservoirs. Tilton cable operated adjustable brake bias has also been installed. Brake fluid is ELF racing at $50 per 500ml.
Ducting is in the pipe line.
I have to say it was one of the most difficult aspects of the project due the location of the car at the time as well as a hot summer. how can I forget the fitting of the pedal box. Not easy AT ALL, but I wouldn't change it for all the tea in china.
As expected all new braided lines throughout.

Engine:

The engine is unopened and will remain that way for a little while yet. The car did come from Japan with a few mods including a K1 turbo, trust Intercooler and a chipped ECU.
I have since changed a few aspects of the engine bay package mainly for reliability and improved cooling:
Relocated the Intercooler and air intake to take advantage of air scoop situated on engine cover.
Remote oil cooler fitted where inter cooler is traditionally found.
Luggage trunk now used for air flow with the rear fire wall drilled out to provide needed air flow which now exits via holes in the rear of the luggage trunk.
A Tomei fuel regulator
Boost control duties are now provided by a Apexi AVCR
The exhaust is now port/gasket matched from the cylinder head to the exhaust tip including the turbo.
Urethane engine mounts.
Tomei Pod filter

Transaxle
As of the 3/Oct/2010
Gen 2 gearbox rebuilt by Prepped Motorsport.
Kazz 1.5 way, 80% preload. New
Kazz gear oil
Rebuilt axle cages. I have a new set of TSC Motorsport Chrome Moly axle cages which recently arrived but are yet to be fitted.
Brass gear shift bushings
Clutch is custom ÄP 5.5inch full carbon from F3000 with lightened Automatic flywheel. Total weight of clutch and flywheel: 4.5kg.

Paint:
The colour scheme was based on a F430 that runs in ALMS. The color was made up with a photo I provided to the paint supplier. The painting took 8 hrs one Sunday. Most of the sanding prep was done the day before. The car was taken to a local spray booth who was good enough to provide the booth for $250 for the day. It was a long day but came out with the result you see in the photo's. Needless to say, I was totally stunned at the results when the car was removed from the booth. It went from an everyday track car to what it is now. I still have to pinch myself at what I came up with. Very pleased every time I open the garage or look over old pictures at the results.

Misc:
Improved radiator air flow with aluminium radiator ducting exiting via front lid.
Internal door handle is now stainless steel wire cable pull system
Rear wing mounted on steel frame through to the chassis rails
In car camera for rear view
Relocated lights to the front bar
Pumped guards

There is more but most can be found in the pictures provided or at http://s707.photobucket.com/home/b24nsw as well as incar footage on my youtube site http://www.youtube.com/user/SKR1967

The future:

More developments and more time driving and enjoying the car.
Bit more power, less weight, replace the engine cover with something more appropriate.

Cheers

jimGTS

Re: SW20 track car, Sydney, Australia

Post by jimGTS »

wow....

any threads on the progress from day 1?

like where you lost most of the weight, how, etc etc......
B24

Post by B24 »

Hello Jim,

The car has been on the Aussie MR2 forums for the last 18mths with regular updates but not really a definitive list of the weight reduction as I lost the file I kept on weight reduction some time ago.
I was infact inspired by a MR2 owner from the UK who reduced the weight of his car to 1050kg or the likes. The car competed in a series over in the UK where he was competitive with F360's and the likes. Figured if he could manage that weight I may be able to do the same.
The most important issue is your car would not be roadworthy or comfortable if you wish do get down to that weight.

The major gains in weight reduction are as follows:
A/C
Power steering removal. Wiring and plumbing, 10kg
Power windows
Dedicated ECU
Race only rewire.over 25kg
Replace Targa top with lexan. over 10kg
Lexan windows.over 10kg
Strip doors. I would advise buying the UK available FG doors then filling wit foam. Save 30kg
Steering column conversion. Over 6kg
Strip out dash and all the ducting. 6kg
Brake upgrade. over 8kg
Light weight wheels.
Trim all bolts, remove unused bolts, trim excess brackets off everything including the engine.
Remove secondary firewall.Its spot welded on with sound deadner between the two firewalls. 10kg
I saved over 10kg with new clutch flywheel set up.

There is more but that should help for the moment.

Cheers

Steve
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

oh i dont have plans for crazy weight loss..

just after ideas really, as i still want to keep it in a usable street driven way....

looks great tho, love the do-luck front....
uglee

Post by uglee »

That's quite a weight reduction especially for a targa. What sort of power is the engine producing?
Can i ask why you didn't use a lighter hardtop shell as the base for your project?
loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

Post by loudandproud205 »

and you still retained the heavy pop up lights and motors, which also would give a nice weight lose.

i like the sound of the secondary firewall, i think id like to attempt that.

ive been looking for a non pas steering rack but ive been having no luck soucing one

Got boost?
Kinda!!!
0.3 bar FTL
B24

Post by B24 »

uglee wrote:That's quite a weight reduction especially for a targa. What sort of power is the engine producing?
Can i ask why you didn't use a lighter hardtop shell as the base for your project?

The engine has 175kw at the wheels but the ecu upgrade will improve on that.
As for the hard top option, the basics on this car outweighed the other two cars (St162+MX5)I owned as well as being 40% cheaper than most MR2's on the market at the time. The chassis was perfect with no damage or rust, had numerous upgrades so the weight penalty of a TT was something I had to work around. After fitting the lexan roof where the TT was, I actually prefer the line of the roof compared to factory standard. It changes the look of the car in a positive was(in my humble opinion).
B24

Post by B24 »

loudandproud205 wrote:and you still retained the heavy pop up lights and motors, which also would give a nice weight lose.

i like the sound of the secondary firewall, i think id like to attempt that.

ive been looking for a non pas steering rack but ive been having no luck soucing one

The lights are only the covers. All the internals have been removed and yes they do make a great weight loss! What more amazing is the weight in all the electrics to operate the lights,windows, etc.

You may find a non power rack in the Australian Forums. We had plenty of these lying the country.

Cheers
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

loudandproud205 wrote:

you don't look very hard do you lol, loads on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-MR2-MK2-ST ... 1383wt_913

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-MR2-MK2-ST ... 1383wt_913

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-MR2-MK2-ST ... 1295wt_913

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Toyota-MR2-MK2-St ... 0481388060?
pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item43a20a3a1c#ht_1465wt_913

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Toyota-MR2-MK2-St ... 1357wt_913

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-MR2-2-0-19 ... 1302wt_913
uglee

Post by uglee »

B24 wrote:
uglee wrote:That's quite a weight reduction especially for a targa. What sort of power is the engine producing?

The engine has 175kw at the wheels but the ecu upgrade will improve on that.
As for the hard top option, the basics on this car outweighed the other two cars (St162+MX5)I owned as well as being 40% cheaper than most MR2's on the market at the time. The chassis was perfect with no damage or rust, had numerous upgrades so the weight penalty of a TT was something I had to work around. After fitting the lexan roof where the TT was, I actually prefer the line of the roof compared to factory standard. It changes the look of the car in a positive was(in my humble opinion).

It's interesting the figures you have got as the option for further weight loss exists if you were to start with a hardtop and fitted a lighter engine.

What's the availability of 2GR-FE's over there? 200KW atw untweaked and after fitting mine I can definitly tell you it is considerably lighter than a 3S-GTE!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do next :thumleft:
loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

Post by loudandproud205 »

I posted a wanted thread and well ebay must hate me as I just searched it after I clicked on your link and it says there was 0 results found???

I swear the internet hates me some days lol.

Thanks for the links :thumleft:

Got boost?
Kinda!!!
0.3 bar FTL
ashley

Post by ashley »

NICE 8) 8) 8)

Got a link to any of the Aussie forums- I'd love to see your build threads...
B24

Post by B24 »

Here is some incar footage at Oran Park in NSW
http://www.youtube.com/user/SKR1967?fea ... RW_Z7Zss6Y

As for the build thread

http://mrtwo.mine.nu/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14080

Cheers

Return to “Member Profiles”