Taught a lesson by a people carrier!

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

matt_mr2t

Re: Taught a lesson by a people carrier!

Post by matt_mr2t »

I'm in full motion to address it. You dont "need" £30k to move out. You need a min of 10% but it would be better to have 15-20%

There's plenty of flats in my locality that are sub £100k

The only debt I'll ever get myself in to again is a mortgage. But like I said, all those people that are paying for things through finance and credit cards etc, are still paying. It's not like they got a mortgage for their house, finance for their car and a credit card for their TV & new kitchen then never paid a penny. They'll all be paying a fortune for the monthly bills so one.

All I'm saying is that pointing at a man who has a Zafira VXR and suggesting he's a failure is completely over looking the facts, he has probably done more with his life than most of us.
willfinch36

Post by willfinch36 »

hmm who knows, he may have been left money or something.... or won the lottery..... lol
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

willfinch36 wrote:Image

hmm who knows, he may have been left money or something.... or won the lottery..... lol

Hahahaha, love the pic :lol:
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

matt_mr2t wrote:

I said you (not you actually, I was speaking to Dale at the time)) shouldnt suggest a happy man, with a car worth a fair wack, a house, wife, children is a "failure" because he hasnt got a sports car.

who said anything about being a "failure" because they havent got a sports car? :?
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

matt_mr2t wrote:
michael wrote:I had 7 people in my Zafira in comfort at the weekend, can't say I ever managed that in my MR2...

Ahh, you must be a failure too :thumleft:

chances are he wont have the VXR, so cant be classed as a failure.. if he has then... well, unlucky!

You should be a politician Matthew, very good at twisting things, causing issues and chatting xxxx :thumleft:
sw20GTS

Post by sw20GTS »

Don't mind a Zafira VXR myself but imo it looks pretty bland. I wished it had the more ballsy styling of the new VXRs (Corsa looks hawt!)

For me, I have an Espace for the family and put a little bit aside for something fun ;)
My personal website : http://www.jonathanchye.co.uk
dazzz

Post by dazzz »

matt_mr2t wrote:I personally would say a man with a lovely wife, a few kids, a nice house and a brand new car, no matter what it is, has made an exceptional success of his life. Compared to say a man of the same age, driving a 20 year old car worth peanuts and living in his parents house.

And for the record, I fit the latter of that quote, but would eventually like to change it to the former.

Matt

I'm 29, single, and live at home with my parents. Am i a failure?

I've been in the Armed Forces, i've been shot at and dodged, i've been all over the world, i have had big debts and now no debts, i'm the facilities and maint manager for one of the worlds largest freight companies at Mcr Airport, i've been made redundant 5 times in total in the past 14 years or so, i choose to drive a 16 year old hairdressers car at the weekends as i have a company vehicle for normal everyday use. I could own any car i wanted within reason. I earn more than 35k per year plus callout fees which i'm very proud of at my age, without having been to university.

I've lived out of home with a real girl and know how much it all costs in real life.

I come and go as i please, i do no washing or have no housework to do. I don't need to cook, ( i do, because i enjoy it ). I make sure i take care of my good old mum. I know where the grass is green for now.

I don't think you can call me a failure.

I think a failure is someone who has no life experience at all and hates themselves for wasting the only life they will have. Even if someone is married with kids they can still hate them self, they'll still be the same person with a wife and kids.

Happiness will result in success and happiness is all about how you feel about yourself.
loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

Post by loudandproud205 »

i fit in the failer group, i had a zafira oh and plus i have a 21 year old sports car,

3 kids, a house are darn site more important to me than what anyone else thinks!

Got boost?
Kinda!!!
0.3 bar FTL
fizz

Post by fizz »

sw20GTS wrote:
For me, I have an Espace for the family and put a little bit aside for something fun ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mORZNa8A ... re=related

0-126mph in 6.9 sec... :whistle:
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Before any one gets touchy - I was just sticking up for the guy being accused of being a failure because he has a people carrier.

Dazzz, I too am 29 and live with my parents. I wasn't putting any one down for being in that position, I was simply camparing 2 different situations in life that people may find themselves.

Dale, I havent twisted anything, your words are there to see "I cant help but think he's a failure"

Why else would you say he's a failure? The guy needs extra space and he had the money to buy something with extra poke to satisfy his need to have some fun at the same time. :-k
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Dale_V wrote:Cant help but think its a failure of life if you have to resort to buying one of those :pale:

I didn't make it up, nor did I twist anything - you said it.
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

matt_mr2t wrote:
Dale_V wrote:Cant help but think its a failure of life if you have to resort to buying one of those :pale:

I did in the context of the VXR as per the opening post, the whole concept I was getting at is lost on you so I wont bother explaining, i'll let other people feed you the entertainment to get through your IMOC working week :thumleft:
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Dale_V wrote:
matt_mr2t wrote:

I did in the context of the VXR as per the opening post, the whole concept I was getting at is lost on you so I wont bother explaining, i'll let other people feed you the entertainment to get through your IMOC working week :thumleft:

I think you said something, I called you on it, and now you're trying to get out of it. What is a failure about owning that car?

I'm sure other people would be curious to hear the explanation?

I'm not looking for an argument or anything, if you can explain to me, with a perfectly good reason why you said driving that makes him a failure in life I'll leave it alone.
alan wheeldon

Post by alan wheeldon »

Im bored with the little argument now....... the wheels on the bus go round and round, round and round.... :lol:
MR2UK

Post by MR2UK »

have to say matt is right with this

i think some people need to realise that just because YOUR interested in cars and spend your disposable on them doesn't mean everyone else does

someone could drive a daewoo matiz or nissan micra because driving is just a way to get around for them and pile the rest into sky diving, sailing the world, flying a home made plane, lego, airsoft, world of warcraft or whatever you can think of :lol:

no one can say what a success or failure is, you can have an opinion of course :whistle:

for me it would be travelling the world, meeting people, seeing different sights, memories to look back on

a house doesn't even come close in my book of sucess, its a material object people waste their lives slaving and paying for, its a pile of bricks and motar, how is that successful? Although of course you need one to stay in and for a family etc

but remeber now, your house isn't going to come cheer you up when your 85, bed bound, in a nursing home :wink:

i think working in one for 7 years since 15 has warped my mind a little :pray:
Olly P

Post by Olly P »

Guys! Seriously! I nearly got beaten by a people carrier. Can we put your problems in to perspective now please!

:eye:
easty-5

Post by easty-5 »

Failure and sucess in life is all a matter of opinion. Everybody has different aspirations in life and strive to reach different goals. A failure in your eyes will be a success in somebody elses.

In my opinion, Ollie is a failure in life. He almost got beat by a people carrier FFS. What is wrong with you people? Lets look at the bigger picture huh.

:lol:
Ren0W

Post by Ren0W »

ryan

Post by ryan »

Two things come to mind when reading the latter part of this thread
Harry Enfields 'Considerably richer than you'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHo2pXO_XAI

and Frank Spencer 'I'm a failure'!
GeoffC320

Post by GeoffC320 »

MR2UK wrote:have to say matt is right with this

i think some people need to realise that just because YOUR interested in cars and spend your disposable on them doesn't mean everyone else does

someone could drive a daewoo matiz or nissan micra because driving is just a way to get around for them and pile the rest into sky diving, sailing the world, flying a home made plane, lego, airsoft, world of warcraft or whatever you can think of :lol:

no one can say what a success or failure is, you can have an opinion of course :whistle:

for me it would be travelling the world, meeting people, seeing different sights, memories to look back on

a house doesn't even come close in my book of sucess, its a material object people waste their lives slaving and paying for, its a pile of bricks and motar, how is that successful? Although of course you need one to stay in and for a family etc

but remeber now, your house isn't going to come cheer you up when your 85, bed bound, in a nursing home :wink:

i think working in one for 7 years since 15 has warped my mind a little :pray:

I agree with most of that, personally I try to do a bit of everything. I spent the best part of 20 years mucking around with cars and modding them, culminating with 4 fantastic years with my Rev3 tubby which ended up around 300bhp.

However during that time I also did a bit of cycle racing, various travels and completely did up my flat (which entailed a 5 year break from car ownership due to lack of funds:? ). Now I'm back on the house refurb tip but doing far more travelling due to my wife's love of it (7 countries last year!). The car modding thing is pretty much in the past for now, but might be resurrected in years to come, you never know.

For me personally I prefer something tangible like a house or a car as I find my memories of holidays etc tend to fade quite quickly. But I'm happiest with a good mix of both, funds and time allowing.

Returning to the original issue, personally I think it's great that cars like that exist. We've just gone down from 2 cars to one, which meant trading in the SLK as I frequently need 4 seats + plenty of carrying space. Now we have a Merc C-Class hatch, practical with loads of space...but with the 3.2V6 up front and RWD. Great for now, but if I did have a couple of kids I'd probably consider something like the Zafira mentioned. With a decent bit of power under the bonnet I'd find it a lot easier to rationalise!

Return to “Driving Experiences”