Which brake Discs?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

grant_day

Which brake Discs?

Post by grant_day »

As above for my mk2 rev1 Turbo,
Ive already got some EBC Yellow stuff pads, but dont yet have the discs (front) Just wondered what anyone would suggest would be a good pair? im currently looking at these on fleabay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MR2-MK2-REV-1-90- ... 5ad2401de7 , , , what would you reccomend, also thinking of braided hoses
:?
malcster

Re: Which brake Discs?

Post by malcster »

What brand are those discs?
If you get some cheapies you coudl end up in warped disc city!

I previously had a set of EBC Turbo discs (grooved and dimpled) they were alright for the money, but nothing too special.

I then went for some black diamond discs that were very good indeed.

I need a new set now though, so will be watching this thread...!
1992 MR2 Turbo GT-S
1/4 Mile Best: 14.30s
grant_day

Post by grant_day »

I doesnt say a brand or anything, just hoped somebody had more info or if anybody had used them, as ive not recieved a response from the seller, I think they are their own brand.
I will probably go for Camberly Aut0 factors, possibly EBC :-k
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

in my experience they are all pretty much the same (not carbon obviously) for fast road/track i would not get anything other than plain ones as even the porker boys swap their cross drilled to plain for serious track sessions. That said i just bought a set of cheap grooved fronts - but then i doubt my car will ever see a track
grant_day

Post by grant_day »

so you reckon non drilled / grooved? just plain?
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

yes, i have broken a few cars and spoke to a few racers in the MR2 championship and they all run standard rev3 setup with good pads, i would doubt they run anything other than plain disks. The others are for show (i think they look much better than plain though, which is why i bought some - and ill be going from rev1 to a rev3 setup anyway so will be much better still)
grant_day

Post by grant_day »

cool, I will do as you suggest and see how it goes :thumleft: thanks \:D/
Xmun7

Post by Xmun7 »

I have also converted my brakes from Rev1 NA to Rev3+ Turbo, and put on black diamond grooved discs and black diamond pads, braking is quite good :) One thing i did not change was the brake master cylinder as i was told it was the same part. Can someone confirm this please?
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Xmun7 wrote:I have also converted my brakes from Rev1 NA to Rev3+ Turbo, and put on black diamond grooved discs and black diamond pads, braking is quite good :) One thing i did not change was the brake master cylinder as i was told it was the same part. Can someone confirm this please?

It's not, the rev2+ master cylinder is bigger. 15/16" I think.

IME a well looked after (i.e. no sticky sliders, etc) standard rev2+ brake setup is excelent.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
Xmun7

Post by Xmun7 »

tnks m8 will look to change this then

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”