Breakdown Cover

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

dantheman

Breakdown Cover

Post by dantheman »

What do you guys do should your car breakdown at the circuit? when my BMW broke down i got towed away from the circuit by a mate and then rang RAC who im covered with, which is all well and good but i dont have any breakdown cover for my MR2 at the moment.

has anyone seen any trackday breakdown cover either as a stand alone policy or as an add on to another policy?
Quigonjay

Re: Breakdown Cover

Post by Quigonjay »

i'm with the rac and have heard that they dont mind picking you up from a circuit breakdown, have yet to test the theory though
jnoiles

Post by jnoiles »

A few track days ago a guy in a brand new BMW M5 locked his keys in the boot and the AA man happily drove right into pit lane to pop it open and get them out. I don't imagine they can reasonably refuse you if you break down. Pit lane is no different to breaking down in your mates driveway and needing a tow home.
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

i guess you are right. it just seems to me they might have a problem with you doing an activity that will dramatically increases the chance of breaking down without them having factored it into the premium. kinda like the way track day insurance cover is not included in a policy.
System-G

Post by System-G »

About 3 years ago I did the big ends on my MK1 whilst working for a trackday organiser at Bedford. We trailered the car to Snett where we were working the following day and after work we drove the car a very short distance to nearby services - causing massive damage to the crank.

When RAC showed up, they were convinced the car had been on track that day. They said we could have called them from the paddock and they would have attended there. They recovered the car to my home in Leicester still not beleiving it hadn't been on track that day at Snett :lol:

We see a number of cars being recovered from circuit side by both AA & RAC. So it's not a problem.

I know they have issues collecting from drag strips though. Although again, I've seen the AA helping out someone in the car park when they either couldn't get in or start the car.
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

Just done some searching as i need the cover to start by the 6th of feb - 48 hour no claim period, so 4th of feb. ive copied below the approriate part of each companies terms and conditions:

General Exclusions:

first call: Vehicles being used (or that have been modified for use) in motor racing, rallies, speed or endurance tests

ETA: Any incident brought about by an avoidable, wilful or deliberate act. Breakdowns occurring while the vehicleis being used or has been modified for motor racing, rallies, speed or endurance test

Green Insurance: Vehicles being used in motor racing, rallies, speed or endurance tests

Greenflag:
Vehicles used for and/or involved in motor racing, off road use
(away from public roads and over rough terrain), rallies, track
days
, speed or duration tests or practising for such events.

RAC: any vehicle used for motor racing, rallies or
other competitive events, or persons taking
part in these activities.

AA: Assistance for vehicles broken down as a result of taking part in any “Motor Sport Event”, including, without limitation, racing, rallying, trials or time-trials or auto test. However, for the avoidance of doubt, the AA does not consider “Concours d’elegance” events, track test days for road-legal vehicles or rallies held exclusively on open public highways where
participants are required to comply with the normal rules of the road, to be Motor Sports Events.

bearing in mind the vehicle in question is a track day car which is stripped out, with bucket seats in it, therefore has been modified for motor racing use, the only small loophole i can see is in the RAC T&C as it says motor racing or competitive events, which non competitive non timed trackdays arent. and it doesnt say "but not limited to".

however for all of them it really doesnt look good. unlike the BMW i couldnt even get towed away because some of them have modified for motorsport in the clause.

are they likely to be leanient on that kind of thing like system G says? i dont see it personally....
Redrummo

Post by Redrummo »

Ive seen mixed answers to this dilemma.

Had the misfortune of breakdown at snetterton few years back and had no trouble when AA came out. Picked me from pits no questions asked. Car was standard though, complete with interior etc and of course i didnt meantion it was trackday. However another person same day would not be taken away (RAC)!

Ive had other callouts with other cars and always asked the question: will you pick me up from trackday? 2 said yes and 2 said no!! ? the two who said yes said they would not be allowed but would help me as long as I dont admit to being on the track.... ie "just visiting mates, or spectating race event/motorsport". They actually suggested that if i towed myself off the track onto to local road and blagged it i should be fine cause they cant prove i was racing! :?

I now have stripped interior, roll cage, buckets, harness etc so based on my experience and what you write above im not confident i'll get picked up at all!!

What other options are there if im stuck?? :-k
Will they still take me home but charge by the mile? :-k too afraid to ask my breakdown in case they mark me down as trackday user!
MartG

Post by MartG »

Redrummo wrote:What other options are there if im stuck?? :-k

I think that when you get to the point that the car has been extensively modified for track use, then it's time to consider trailering it to the circuit - takes away any worries about a breakdown or crash damage stranding you at the circuit

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”