Cambelt Time

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SuperRedMR2

Cambelt Time

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Hi,

My car clocked 120k a few weeks ago. The last time the belt was changed was at 60k, so it’s due for a change now. Finances are a little tight and so is the time to do it in before my mate goes on holiday. I do 200-250 miles per week, would it be a bad idea to let it go for a few thousand more than recommended? I will be going to JAE as well so that would be around a 300-350 mile round trip on top of what I do. The speedometer currently reads 120,600 miles, so from now until the week after JAE I reckon I’d be up to 122k.

Should I get it done ASAP or obviously depending on the condition of the belt can I wait a few thousand miles?
lion_yo

Re: Cambelt Time

Post by lion_yo »

My advice is get it done mate you better of being safe than sorry hearing that you going to do 300 miles you dont want to be stranded on the motorway anyway their is one going cheap on ebay at the momment here is the link http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Toyota-Genuine-MR ... 286.c0.m14 :thumleft:
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

Generally in most cars if a cambelt fails it's a very bad thing. Valves collide with pistons and the engine is reduced to scrap. For this reason the manufacturers specify cambelt replacement intervals that err massively on the cautious side to ensure the likelyhood of failure in service in absolutely minimal. Belts are generally replaced as a precaution against them failing rather than because they have reached the end of their useful life.

On a mk1 the engine is what's known as a 'non-interference' design. In this case should the belt fail then the pistons and valves will not come into contact, no harm will be done and you'll just find yourself stranded at the side of the road, it'd be inconvenient but no big deal assuming you have RAC/AA cover to get you home.

Combine these 2 factors and you've got a situation where the belt is very unlikely to fail in the next few thousand miles plus if it does fail it's not exactly going to be the end of the world. Based on that I'd take the risk and get it done when it's convenient rather than worrying about being bang on schedule.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Yeah I know its a non-interference engine :D

Just needed a second opinion on leaving it. I get paid soon, its not the obtaining the parts its just the fitting really.

Regarding the ebay auction, I want the tensioner too. I'd rather buy a Toyota belt for £20 in all honesty if I were just buying the belt.
System-G

Post by System-G »

Replacing the cambelt really is a POP.

But if you're unsure and need to save a few pennies, why not remove the top cambelt cover, jack the rear up a bit and turn the crank by hand inspecting both sides of the cam belt as it travels in between the two cam pulleys.
If you spot any signs of stress or wear, replace ASAP, if not leave until you can afford to do it.

Paul Woods and Crazylegs Kev both do cambelt swaps for not much money at all - in fact Paul is so cheap it's almost worth my own while driving from Leics to Durham and let him do it just to save me the hassle of jacking the car up :clown: :mrgreen:
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
Jim-SR

Post by Jim-SR »

theres a danger in visual inspection of a cambelt though (even more so without removing it). it can look mint, and snap the next day.

it wont do any damage, in theory (non interference engine and all that). but it will still leave you stranded somewhere. id get it done as soon as time and funds permit. if they dont then leave it for now, youll be unlucky if it snaps early, and even more unlucky if it snaps on exactly 60k
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

Mine did this exactly today and when the engine was changed less than a month ago the cambelt only having covered about 20k in 3 years It looked perfect with no visible wear i thought that fine for another year or so but today it has gone it is definetly non interference though thank God.

Are you definetly going to bid on that cambelt as i dont want to enter a bidding war against a fellow IMOCer and push the price up unnecessarily.

BTW Crazylegs i think charges £85 inc belt for a belt change :thumleft:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

I do these for £50 all in with me supplying the belt and it takes 35-45 mins (my personal record stands at 34 mins), you even get a free coffee while you wait, :D i'd use kev though if it came down to geography.
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

Dont tease me Paul :P
System-G

Post by System-G »

See...? Not even worth me jacking the car up for that :thumleft: :lol:
Kooga

Post by Kooga »

Oh whilst you're all on the subject, does anyone know how the tensioner pulley bolts on, I took it off, cos doing lots of engine work, but can't remember what i did...have a hole with no home!! A pic would be awesome...
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

Not got pics to hand so I'll have to try a description...

There should be a largish hole in the bracket on the tensioner which locates over an insert on the block. The tensioner can then pivot about this point until you tighten up the funny star shaped bolt (it's a 12 pointed 10mm head) which goes through the middle of the tensioner and bolts into the block. There's also a smaller hole in the bracket which the tensioning spring hooks though, the other end of which goes around a peg on the block.
Kooga

Post by Kooga »

Thanks K - there's 3 holes though? I can see where the star shaped bolt goes and the spring, but an left with another hole!!
Kooga

Post by Kooga »

Doh!! obvious really, there's a dowl at the bottom it hooks over...silly me...
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

I bought my new belt and tensioner from Camskill for £54 :D Massive saving against Toyota! Getting it fitted on Friday :D
Swiss Toni

Post by Swiss Toni »

Mine was changed at 25900 miles in July 2005 - when should I be looking at changing again? (The car now has 27000 miles... :? )
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

yep Toni definetly within the next 6 months
scrimmager

Post by scrimmager »

Is there anyone good for doing a cambelt change in the Nottingham area?
System-G

Post by System-G »

Geoff Bloor in Nottingham has a good reputation for work on MK1's. But he is an established garage, so will charge accordingly.

Blue Streak in Northampton has also done work on my cars when I haven't had the time to do it myself. Cheaper than Geoff, but he takes his time.

I would love to offer to do it myself, but I just don't have any spare time for the next 7 weeks or so :(
*drew*

cam belt

Post by *drew* »

i.m now only 500miles off 200k. cambelt nearly done 60k paul might have to come and c u to book mine in.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”