Paid to drive MR2, good news?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

bazippy

Paid to drive MR2, good news?

Post by bazippy »

Ive just got as new job basically involves visiting people throughout the day.
Im going to be getting a car allowance and a mileage allowance. In some ways im excited paid to drive my mr2 turbo. in other im not so happy about the bouncing around, heavy clutch and if the mileage they pay me actually covers my fuel costs!
Is this a dream or a nightmare?would you like to or not?
ancient mariner

Re: Paid to drive MR2, good news?

Post by ancient mariner »

hi,i'm afraid for the plus points imo,their are more minuses,i.e you will be putting more miles on your car,if it is all stop starting you wont be doing it any favours,they arn't the best fuel consumption wise for that sort of running,wear on clutch and other parts might not make it as viable as it first appears.if i was in the same situation,i would look at getting a cheap reliable runabout that i could end up in pocket with regard to the expense side,and plough said profit into something worthwhile,my tubby :roll: .
only my opinion of course.paul.
GTSAARON

Post by GTSAARON »

I agree, i cover a lot miles tripping round the country but luckily I get a company car. Id get a cheap diesel and run it for work then you don't have to worry so much about fuel economy, increased wear and tear and also you can insure the MR2 for limited mileage and social use only :)
splashnatz

Post by splashnatz »

... and make sure your insurance covers business use. (not just commuting).
Martian_333

Post by Martian_333 »

I agree with the above, used mine for work and soon started to tire of the harsh ride and fuel economy, got myself a cheap run around and always cant wait to get back in the tubby at the weekends, really enjoy it alot now as I think it is meant to be enjoyed.

The biggest plus is the mileage, I hardly put any miles on the car now too which I'm really happy about (because hopefully it will last alot longer).
bazippy

Post by bazippy »

I was thinking of getting a cheap car but i wont be able to justify keeping the mr2. im not looking forward to using it for the job. its all steephills,small roads,parking often etcetcetc it will be a nightmare. im going to see how it goes but look to probably selling up and getting a boring diesel type car :( .

Such a shame i love my 2
Dan88

Post by Dan88 »

what exactly is stopping you from getting a cheap car AND keeping the mr2?

i do exactly the same, i have a small fiesta that cost me £400 with a years tax and test, drive that to work and drive the 2 at weekends.

a small engined car will cost you very little on insurance, and you may even be able to get joint cover to go with your mr2?
ancient mariner

Post by ancient mariner »

you could allways put the mr2 on classic insurance,with limited mileage.do as suggested and buy a cheap runabout for work use.and enjoy the mr for weekends and holidays.you will probabley find yourself quids in pocket.paul.
marc GT Turbo

Post by marc GT Turbo »

use the bus service #-o
1993 GT TURBO
DAN_REV1_TURBO

Post by DAN_REV1_TURBO »

Mate from experience, MR2`s and lots of high mileage for work are not a good combination... I went through radiators, clutch, ball joints, brake calipers, discs and pads, too many tyres,alternator packed up..And too many other things to mention when using my last MR2 for work. But then I wouldnt advise going out and buying a cheap banger if you will be covering a lot of miles either, you dont want to be breaking down everywhere. Maybe you could get a decent new car on finance if the mileage pays enough to break even on it for a start and then once its paid for you might be making a profit on the mileage money? Or maybe they might provide you with a company vehicle,worth asking them?
bazippy

Post by bazippy »

The cheap banger isnt the best option as i will need my car everyhour of every working day. keeping the mr2 is a option but its a tough call as at £80 a month on insurance for a car i will very rarely drive is hard to call viable. as for the bus thats a no go i will have to carry lots of equipment. also there are no company cars its just a a allowance!
Might put the 2 into storage for a bit. its such a original mint mr2 i dont want to part with it. i see it as a future classic and would regret selling it in years to come!
Dan88

Post by Dan88 »

your getting off lightly, im paying £141 a month for the mr2 as a weekend car :shock:
GhostWKD

Post by GhostWKD »

bazippy wrote:The cheap banger isnt the best option as i will need my car everyhour of every working day. keeping the mr2 is a option but its a tough call as at £80 a month on insurance for a car i will very rarely drive is hard to call viable. as for the bus thats a no go i will have to carry lots of equipment. also there are no company cars its just a a allowance!
Might put the 2 into storage for a bit. its such a original mint mr2 i dont want to part with it. i see it as a future classic and would regret selling it in years to come!

Keep it out for the summer, store it in the winter? :oldtongue:

I pay £1,100 insurance on a Bora TDI and my RX7, my RX7 does about 20mpg if i dont touch boost, otherwise looking in the very low teens :( Bora pays for itself in no time doing about 50mpg all the way to/from work all day long :)

Only downside is i couldnt help but modify the bora a bit and fitted wheels/suspension to it, determined to leave it alone and spend cash on the RX7 now though
Ex Rev3 n/a x1
Ex Rev1 Turbo's x3 (buy cheap = buy 3x...)
Current VW Bora TDI
Current RX7
bazippy

Post by bazippy »

So far with all your guys comments i think depend on figures etcetc i might get something like a Yaris for work and keep the mr2 using a two car policy. if thats not a option the mr2 is going off the road and running a yaris all the same! im trying to keep the mr2 if i can!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”