Dash Rail, is it structural?

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Nige_B

Dash Rail, is it structural?

Post by Nige_B »

My main focus on this project is keeping weight to a minimum. Not to the point of being petty, I'm quite happy to comprimise when cost becomes high or designing new parts too complex.

I've just got to the point of stripping out the dash and heater matrix. The heater isn't going back in (a smaller one will be put in for screen fogging etc). However I don't really want to put the dash and rail back in (I still have plans to remake a lighter, cosmetically similar item in its place), my only concern is the dash rail looks pretty sturdy and structural. If I need to remake something similar then I don't see the point, the weight loss wouldn't really be worth the effort. Anyone know if it plays a big part in the strength of the 'shell?

Only other way around it is to have a custom cage to integrate it into :-k
kaiowas

Re: Dash Rail, is it structural?

Post by kaiowas »

Bear in mind that the steering column hangs of it so you'll need to find an alternative means of mounting that anyway. I left it in when building our sprint car although I did give it a lick of paint to make it look a bit nicer.
Nige_B

Post by Nige_B »

Yeah I have been thinking of an alternate way of mounting the coloumn. Was also considering a way of solid mounting it to allow me to shed the weight of the adjuster mechanism. This would also have to be integrated into a roll cage I think. Only problem is, all this will get very expensive and will need doing before paint. (which is already going to be expensive) :roll:
WeirdNeville

Post by WeirdNeville »

That rail looks structural to me, judging by the end plates, the way it's mounted to the A-Pillars and the general beefyness off it.
Personally I'd leave it there - I'm sure it knits the front end together and it would be a major job to re-mount the steering column.
Nige_B

Post by Nige_B »

That was my initial thought, however the guage of the metal tubing is pretty thin. Although on second thought I suppose it wouldn't have to be too substantial to do its job.

I can't see that re-mounting the column would be all that difficult though, so long as the UJ is free to move :-k
Jim-SR

Post by Jim-SR »

if you were fitting a proper roll cage then you could easily get shot of it. but if not then you wont be able to replace its purpose with anything else that is lighter.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”