MK1 Supercharge

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

cmr2payne

MK1 Supercharge

Post by cmr2payne »

Looking to come back to mr2 owners ship. had 1 MK1 and 2 Mk2's before, but fancy and mk1 supercharge now.

was looking at this one, what are peoples thoughts on it.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... TQ:GB:1123

Whats the main thing to look at when buy a super charger, apart from the obvious

cheers

Chris
MR2 MK2 Rev 1 Turbo
Skyline
TVR Chimarea
Zirax

Re: MK1 Supercharge

Post by Zirax »

There is a buyers guide below. I'm still a relative n00b to mk1s compared to a lot on here but I will give it a go.

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/kb.php?mode=article&k=47

I've had my eye on this, but each time it comes up the price goes up! :shock:

Auction 1
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0424537503

Auction 2
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... RL:GB:1123

I actually watched the vid on this a moment ago. There are some supercharger owners on here that will do better than I at spotting bits.

Missing bits
- Plastic trim that covers fuses, brake res etc
- Rear boot lining (all)

Interesting bits
- For a t-bar it has an aftermarket strut brace on the front. Nothing wrong with that, just most don't bother.
- Isn't the aerial on these electric? Hence it being part way out indicates its knackered?
- Back left wheel arch has started to rust with paint missing. Could be stopped now before it spreads.
- Rust showing on the back right sill area, I would whip those side skirts off to take a look. Especially the back right corner piece.
- I've looked at it a few times now and wondered. Is the bonnet the original? The rest of the car seems very polished and yet the bonnet is really dull. :-k

Youtube vid below
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlCZ-xsqzBc
WeirdNeville

Post by WeirdNeville »

With that one I'd want some clarification on what he means by "never used on british roads". If it has been standing for 3 years it could have a number of problems relating to that.

OTher than that, chassis integrity, Supercharger boosting correctly and has had its oil changed in living memory would be a good start. AS I suspect most of the service history, if it has any, will be japanese it might be hard to pin down whether it's been looked after or not.
The front and rear bumper are missing their pin stripes so check that the slam panels are in tact. Could just be the result of a re-spray, or it could be crash damage.

Basically, make sure you view it and drive it before you lay out £3k on a 20 year old MR2!
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

you can do a conversion if you know what your doing, mechanics wise. my mate bought his sc engine from paul woods i think, or it was someone on here. its running sweet as!

ive always fancied an original supercharger tho to be honest, like the SE that lauren has just sold for £3250 i think.

I would love to get a hold of one, then I think ill move on from mk1s and get a different marque.
MartG

Post by MartG »

It's also missing the intercooler cover, so the 'cooler won't be sealing to the engine lid properly.

Aircon needing regassing - the aircon used the now-banned R12 refrigerant, so will need special refrigerant to replace it rather than the common R134a, so will cost more to regas

IMHO a bit overpriced - I'd say £2 - 2.5K and budget for some work to bring it up to scratch
Zirax

Post by Zirax »

Sorry op I'm doing this as a bit of a challenge now :)

Toyota jack missing
Spare is a steel running Linglongs
Both rear suspension top covers are missing and now rusted. Back right worse than back left.

Finally (and imo most telling.... ) why does the car come with a yellow tab on the key ring? The type that a garage would use to identify a set of keys in a pile? ;)

edit:- I agree about £2k is fair, although I would give him a kick at £1500 cash as he's been selling a while (I'm a sod like that).
MartG

Post by MartG »

Zirax wrote:Spare is a steel running Linglongs.

Normal - SCs came with a steel spacesaver
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Zirax wrote:Sorry op I'm doing this as a bit of a challenge now :)

Toyota jack missing
Spare is a steel running Linglongs
Both rear suspension top covers are missing and now rusted. Back right worse than back left.

Finally (and imo most telling.... ) why does the car come with a yellow tab on the key ring? The type that a garage would use to identify a set of keys in a pile? ;)

edit:- I agree about £2k is fair, although I would give him a kick at £1500 cash as he's been selling a while (I'm a sod like that).

You missed the spare wheel cover that is missing. Also has an extra coin holder which is most likely added. :tongue:

Super Red, we did get the asking price of £3250 for the SE.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Lauren that was a steal for whoever had it! If only you had waited til I sold my REX!!

Those Coin Holders from the SCs, are they worth anything? The SC I bought from Toni Gladding had one. Been thinking of eBaying it....
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

SuperRedMR2 wrote:Lauren that was a steal for whoever had it! If only you had waited til I sold my REX!!

Those Coin Holders from the SCs, are they worth anything? The SC I bought from Toni Gladding had one. Been thinking of eBaying it....

The coin holders can be found in any Mk1. Nothing special at all.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

oh balls. i was thinking they were uber rare! you've just pi$$ed on my chips! lol
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

you've just pi$$ed on my chips

A common theme running throughout lauren's posts, don't worry about it, perfectly normal.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

PW@Woodsport wrote:

A common theme running throughout lauren's posts, don't worry about it, perfectly normal.

LOL!

/harsh!
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

PW@Woodsport wrote:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”