[Mk2] [Turbo] alternator!! could about cry....((sorted atm buy why the smoke?))

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mr2 import

[Mk2] [Turbo] alternator!! could about cry....((sorted atm buy why the smoke?))

Post by mr2 import »

looks like the post i just put was taken off cheers [-( ](*,)

right the problem i have is that when i was driving along i had a huge plume of smoke come out of my engine bay!! first thought it was more oil burning on the exhaust as i have the unknow oil leak that i cant find atm not that bad atm!

but got home and pressure washed the oil off the engine! but when i parked up i didnt notice any lights on the dash!! but after washing it i started it up 2 dry off the engine came back and it was running like a bag of nails with the bat and cat light on the dash!

has any1 else on here had an alternator pack in in a cloud of smoke????

would much appreciate if any one in central scoltand to down as far as cumbria had an alternator with a round plug they could sell me?? could do with one this weekend or b4 wed as im ment 2 be heading over 2 Newcastle and Middlesbrough nex wednesday and thursday...

just find it strange 2 go up in a cloud of smoke!!!!!!

thanks again guys

adam
just started my own welding business! fingers crossed it works out :pray:
going4the1

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] alternator!! could about cry....((sorted atm buy why the smoke?))

Post by going4the1 »

It sounds like the alternator bearings have seized. The engine will continue to push the belt around but if the alternator pulley is locked the belt will burn/melt due to friction on the altenator pulley wheel. Hence the smoke and noisy running.

The best place to get alternators is here:

http://www.tcbparts.co.uk/

They sell ones with round plugs. Ring them they are very helpful.
mr2 import

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] alternator!! could about cry....((sorted atm buy why the smoke?))

Post by mr2 import »

i go an alterator and fitted it on the sat!! no noisy running and the bearings are still spot on :thumleft: wasnt the smell of rubber or oit but more an electrical smell! did have a feeling it was on its way out ](*,) third time of changing the alternator on it no ](*,) starting 2 get the hang of it without dropping the exhaust or subfame :thumleft: :thumleft: iv just never had one pack in in a cloud of snoke

Return to “Mechanical”