Horn failure can anyone assist...

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Frustrated Pilot

Horn failure can anyone assist...

Post by Frustrated Pilot »

Hi all,

The horn appears not to be working on the car...

I cant hear the relay clicking either..

How can i test the horn electrics have continuiety?

also... where does the horn wiring go to?
Sol

Re: Horn failure can anyone assist...

Post by Sol »

I did suffer from this as well. I only done a few things to solve it as well :thumleft: :thumleft:

1.) on the steering wheel the horn sigh is the right a bove the switch so just push their a few times with the tip of your finger. assuming you have the standard steering wheel still

2.) the Horns are located at the front of the bumper, their are two low and high pitch, give the connections a good clean as they become covered in stuff.

Hope this helps
Frustrated Pilot

ok.. My car is still not Horney..... ;)

I found out the relays ARE clicking but still there is no sound...

Any thoughs?
__Nick__

Post by __Nick__ »

I've had this problem before (i've had a fair few) - This one was my easiest fix. Bashed the horn that was visible from the front lip a few times, dust and muck fell off. Worked again!

Not the most scientific test, but worked for me! :thumleft:
Frustrated Pilot

will get me hammer BRB
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

I've had that before on a different car where the horn had filled with water due to being mounted the wrong way up :)

Horns as said are behind the bumper. They share a ground wire which (on my car) was attached to one of the bumper bolts. That had come off when mine failed its MOT for the horn.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

if you got airbags, maybe worth checking the airbag ecu for error codes....

i had an airbag light on my dash and horn didnt work.
i replaced the faulty spiral cable (error codes and bgb told me it was this spiral cable, depends on your error code)...either way i replaced it and magically the horn worked again.
Frustrated Pilot

Nope.. no joy.... used a bigger 'Nammer and still a clicking relay but no other noise :(

No airbags either...

Looks like I will have to start removing the front bumper.

:( not good....
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Before you do, ahve a look in the gap between the two foglights and see if you can see any dangling wires. When my horn earth lead was floating I could see it hanging there.

http://theshado.ws/images/imoc/st205cc/ ... vement.jpg

If you look at this photo, the horns are normally bolted to the 2 bolts at the top of the radiator (left one just under the blue line, right one just to the left of the green oval). They're not highlighted in this diagram, but they are the ones that are vertically up from the mounts that are visible at the bottom of the radiator (if that makes sense!). The horns don't earth through the brackets they're attached with (not sure why cause that would work) they instead have this single wire which connects the two horns together and attaches to the chassis in the middle.

Hope that helps... I'm not the best at descriptions!

Edit: You can just about see the horns in this pic, behind the crash bar (removed in my photo) http://osmanu.com/mr2/bumperremoval/11.jpg
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
Frustrated Pilot

it appears that the horns are plugged in.. I cant see any obvious dangling wires..

:roll:

This is just one of a multitude of problems that I have been lumped with after the car came back from repair...

:roll:

right, so just to confirm.. If I can hear the relay switching (clicking) the fuse and the relay are fine?

Therfore it must be an earthing issue from the horn side... not the steering wheel side?
msherry21

Post by msherry21 »

Hi, This is a thread revival!!! Can someone please answer the questions in the previous post?

I'm having problems with my horn, I've moved the standard one into the frunk for easy access but its still not working, I can attach a wire from the hooter itself to the battery itself but when I try and use the steering wheel horn, the relay just clicks, anyone know where my problem lies?

Cheers for an help.

Michael.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Horn fuse? The switch in the steering wheel just supplies low current to the relay to turn it on, which is obviously working as you hear it click. But by the sound of it you don't get 12v at the horn, which suggests the high current side of the relay has no power to it. There's a horn fuse in the frunk fusebox. From memory the hazard warning lights go through that too - do they work?
msherry21

Post by msherry21 »

Hi, the front fuse is fine..and hazards work.

So its not the relay if I can hear it clicking? just to confirm and save me a trip to the scrappy.

Any other ideas?

I'm stumped.

Michael.
DAN_REV1_TURBO

Post by DAN_REV1_TURBO »

Is this in an aftermarket wheel or original jdm? Have you tried putting in a different hornpush button in the steering wheel? I had one that just would not earth had to replace it (BLZ on here sold me one), and I also had it where someone had shoved a load of black electrical tape inside where the actual horn push sat in the centre of the steering wheel and it was stopping the metal touching/earthing.
DAN_REV1_TURBO

Post by DAN_REV1_TURBO »

Also that the horn push little white plug is actually still pushed in correctly as if that has slipped out I guess its going to stop too. Maybe you already checked these things though probably first thing you did.
msherry21

Post by msherry21 »

Hi, Its a mk3 MR2 wheel that i've fitted to my mk2. I'm thinking it could be the circular metal plate inbetween the wheel and the rack? Could this be causing it? as said when I push the button, I can hear the relay clicking in the frunk.

Confused and need this sorting for an MOT asap.

So far:

The hooter works,
The fuse is fine,
There is 12 volts going to the circular metal plate...

I can't think what else to check...

Cheers,

Michael.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

If you hear the relay clicking when you push the horn button in the steering wheel then everything steering wheel related is fine. The problem lies in the connection between the relay and the horn itself.

Is the horn 2-pin or 1-pin?

Check for an earth

If it's 2 pin - check you have continuity between 1 of the pins in the horn plug and a bare bit of metal on the chassis.

If it's 1 pin - check you have no corrosion where the horn bolts to the chassis as this is how it will find its earth.

Check for power to the fuse

Take the HORN/HAZ fuse out. Check you have 12v at 1 of the pins for the HORN/HAZ fuse. Likely this is OK as you say your hazard lights work OK.

Check for power from the fuse to the relay

Check you have continuity between the OTHER pin of the HORN/HAZ fuse, and one of the pins on the relay. Put the fuse back in, and make sure that pin now has 12v. Likely this is OK as you say you hear it click.

Check for continuity from the relay to the horn

Check you have continuity between one of the other 3 pins on the relay and the pin on the horn connector that wasn't connected to earth.

Check you have power at the horn

Get someone to hold the horn button down, and make sure you have 12v between the two points on the horn (be it 2 pins, or 1 pin and the bolt that holds it on, depending whether it is a 2 pin or 1 pin horn).

If you do have 12v there but your horn still doesn't sound, your horn is duff. If you don't get 12v there, take the horn relay out and connect the two pins together that had continuity from the fuse to the relay, and from the relay to the horn. If the horn now sounds all the time, then your relay is knackered.

I can't think of anything else to test. That should cover everything.
msherry21

Post by msherry21 »

I hope this makes sense. I've re-routed a wire straight from hooter to steering wheel and I still can't get it to work. The wiring seems to be a mess behind there because someone had an aftermarket wheel on at somepoint.

Can anyone see where each wire should go? I must be putting them in the wrong place or something.

Cheers or any help, Michael.

Return to “Mechanical”