[Mk2] [Turbo] My Aerodynamic rework: Giving the MR2 downforce

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

dantheman

[Mk2] [Turbo] My Aerodynamic rework: Giving the MR2 downforce

Post by dantheman »

So ive been saying for a long time that I was going to do some aero mods on my car. Why? Because ive done virtually every mod I wanted to up to doing expensive engine work, and £500 spent on aerodynamics will be far more influential than £500 spent on engine power.

In april I got it up on axle stands and started designing how my car would look, sculpting the new air flow paths.

The MR2 as standard has some key flaws when it comes to downforce. firstly the turbulent air that passes through the radiator is sent under the car, which generates lift underneath. Secondly the rear window step causes the flow to detach, creates a low pressure zone above the car and generates more lift there. It also doesnt create cooling for the engine so its a bit pointless. The spoiler does nothing for downforce, and the engine being exposed ruins the rear under car airflow. Basically its awful for downforce.

So what have I done to change it? I purchased £500 of 1.5mm sheet aluminium to use for the mods. First off i cut a hole in the frunk behind the rad fans.

The i cut a hole in the bonnet and crafted a tunnel to connect the two holes. This was quite challenging because the bonnet swings past 90 degrees with the frunk wall, which created closing issues. I also put a plate beneath the frunk wall to block the previous flow path. My solution isnt pretty, but it works.

Then i focused on the floor. A good aero car has a flat floor to reduce drag and give the low pressure a uniform surface to act upon. So...flat floor required. Front downforce is generated by a front lip, giving the high pressure stagnant air on the front bumper a surface to act and also by accerating the air under the car lowering the pressure. It only makes sense to have the front lip as an integral part of the floor to make for a smooth transition underneath the car.

The floor panels are bolted into the existing undertray holes, but there are not nearly enough of these holes. Some holes were drilled through the floor pan and tapped, with a nut placed on the cabin floor. Where this was not possible the panel edges are bolted together using overlapping tabs.

You can just make out the under engine bay panel in this pic (and the one afterwards). A cut out was made at the front of the panel with the front edge rounded upwards, much like the standard undertray. This allowes air into the engine bay. Other cut outs were made below the gearbox because it protrudes through the floor plane, one under the sump for oil drainage and three under the rear subframe, 2 for axle stands and 1 for a jack face. Whilst this is not ideal its necessary.

So nice low pressure uniform airflow travels beneath the car and reaches the rear, where a diffuser is required. Diffuser angles should not exceed 7 degrees or should feature a smooth gradual curve to allow the airflow to stay attached. Having separating fences helps restrict turbulent motions and improves diffuser efficiency.

Focusing above the car now, The above engine bay area needs sorting. This is primarily because i intended to have a rear wing and the area in front is it is vital. Instead of having the recirculating air that detaches off the roof, a better way is to have a saloon style back. I made an attempt at copying the GT style engine cover. Its hinged on the roof edge for engine bay access and bolts to the actual engine bay cover. The engine bay cover was replaced with one fitted with fans. These were wired in with a switch to the cabin so that i can use them when i want and have them running even when the engine isnt, for post track session cool down. It also provides more cooling than standard. Quite awesomely (and by design) the engine lid directs the cooling airflow down along its exterior surface, which will energise the over roof airflow and keep it attached. It also provides uniform flow to the wing, which is vital.

And lastly the rear wing. Most carbon fibre wings cost £500-£1000 and frankly have no aerodynamic testing. It wasnt feasable for me to do that, and i couldnt be bothered to CFD model my own one. I did have the fortune of being next to a radical SR3, which is an aero car and has clearly been tested in a tunnel. So i basically copied the chord dimensions and wing design from that. an SR3 rear wing costs £1500, mine cost £80. All made of sheet aluminium, purchased steel brackets and some steel cable to reinforce the drag component force. The sheet aluminium was bent using my knees, wood, a black and decker work mate and a ratched strap and was a pain in the ar$e. I think the finished product looks awesome though. Its mounted above roof level for best airflow.

I was going to add side skirts but i cant be bothered and they are highly impractical. But because not doing this canards are vital . Canards generate vortices along the side of the car which restrict freestream air being sucked into the low pressure region under the car.

So there you have it, my finished race car. Now heres hoping it passes an MOT. :pray:

All comments and questions welcome
matt-mr2

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] My Aerodynamic rework: Giving the MR2 downforce

Post by matt-mr2 »

great work love the flat floor and spoiler looks great :thumleft:
Rory

Post by Rory »

How did you measure the downforce before and after so you know you have made any difference?
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Rory wrote:How did you measure the downforce before and after so you know you have made any difference?

It's very difficult to do. It cost £25K to put a Noble into the MIRA wind tunnel with an aero technician for 2 days.

Improvements were made and measured. No aero really works at less than 120mph, and even then gains were in single percentage figures. Also need to consider with most bolt on aero mods, any increase in downforce also results in an increase in drag.

Cheapest way to make it quick is to lose weight.
Johnr32

Post by Johnr32 »

you should try adding a spoiler on the front bumper like this:

Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

Johnr32 wrote:you should try adding a spoiler on the front bumper like this:

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k3/jo ... 673mv1.jpg

No good for road use from a safety point of view and questionable as to any benefit on the track.
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

I'm assuming that the bonnet would make a difference? It also makes me wonder why more people with Border bonnets don't do this sort of thing (the cutting out behind the rad).
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

Tsia wrote:I'm assuming that the bonnet would make a difference? It also makes me wonder why more people with Border bonnets don't do this sort of thing (the cutting out behind the rad).

Bonnet spoiler is pointless. Bonnet is already a high pressure area so anything added will just create drag. Have never seen a professional race car with anything stuck to the bonnet. :?
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:
Rory wrote:How did you measure the downforce before and after so you know you have made any difference?

It's very difficult to do. It cost £25K to put a Noble into the MIRA wind tunnel with an aero technician for 2 days.

Improvements were made and measured. No aero really works at less than 120mph, and even then gains were in single percentage figures. Also need to consider with most bolt on aero mods, any increase in downforce also results in an increase in drag.

Cheapest way to make it quick is to lose weight.

I havent measured anything, i dont have the money, resources or will power to do that. But its guaranteed to make a difference. We arent talking F1 levels of downforce, but i would estimate something like 100-150kg at upper track speeds. Peter I have to disagree, 70 mph is the bottom limit on aero. You have to bear in mind though that the MR2 generates lift. Faster you go the less grip you get. I should be generating downforce now. Fast your go, more grip you get. Regardless of severity, thats a big positive.

That bonnet spoiler doesnt do anything at all. There is little space for the air to flow beneath it to create the pressure differential. But also the low pressure zone created acts on the bonnet which equals out the high pressure zone above the wing. net difference = 0
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

dantheman wrote:but i would estimate something like 100-150kg at upper track speeds. Peter I have to disagree, 70 mph is the bottom limit on aero. You have to bear in mind though that the MR2 generates lift. Faster you go the less grip you get. I should be generating downforce now. Fast your go, more grip you get. Regardless of severity, thats a big positive.

70mph is about where wind resitance can have an affect. I don't disagree.

But even on a 1000Kg Noble, no real effects were noticed until 120mph, and a car 30% heavier the effects are going to be less.

Virtually all production cars will produce lift. Most of it at the front caused by engine bay cavity underneath (you've sorted that, and well done), and wheel arches filling up with air caused by the high speed rotation of the wheels. Which is why all race cars have some sort of venting of the wheel arches. In fact, until the rules were changed, Audi, AM and most other LMPs tuned their aero by varying the wheelarch vent sizes.

Even with 48 hours of develepment at MIRA, the improvements to the Noble were less tan 7% without a large increase in drag, and at speeds well into 3 figures.

I'm not criticising your efforts, you asked for all opinions, and i'm offering based on real results. Check out some back copies of Race Car Engineering magazine. You might find some helpful articles re. aero mods of various production-based race cars.
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

Tsia wrote:I'm assuming that the bonnet would make a difference? It also makes me wonder why more people with Border bonnets don't do this sort of thing (the cutting out behind the rad).

Bonnet spoiler is pointless. Bonnet is already a high pressure area so anything added will just create drag. Have never seen a professional race car with anything stuck to the bonnet. :?

Noooo, I didn't mean this! :P

I meant the 'hole' in Dan's bonnet and/or border bonnets where it redirects the air?
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

my finished race car

#-o
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

Skywalker wrote:
my finished race car

#-o

Lol :lol:

To the OP:

I love the enthusiasm, I really do :thumleft:

Please don't take this the wrong way but I can't help but think this entire venture has been somewhat counter-productive... The theory behind the aerodynamics is brilliant although it's only going to be of any real use at ridiculous speeds that I doubt an mr2 could achieve :-k

Plus all the added weight of that metal, combined with no weight saving... Personally I'd hazard a guess that this is going to be slower than a standard mr2 with the same amount of grip....

If your that focused on things like the aerodynamics surely things like the uneven and wavey engine lid is also going to be counterproductive as the air flow will be all over the place. Also the undtrays would need to be fully flush with eachother for any decent effect. What about the mirrors and other parts that hamper perfect aerodynamics?

I think you'd have better usable track results with weight loss, and/or bhp and torque gain.

If your looking at racing it properly have you considered perspex windows, light weight bucket seats, roll cage and then proper weight saving (ie carpets, all frunk trim, etc...)

If your that concerned about sticking to a track why not just spend a fraction of what you spent on that metal and get wider wheels/ tyres or spacers for a better stance???

The theory is good, although I think there are far better ways of achieving your goals. I think that you will find following your current path is somewhat fruitless unless your throwing out veryron style bhp/torque...

I have to be honest the only thing I dislike more than your engine lid is your diffuser. Sorry but surely it's going to be massively counter-productive and it looks gash.

Please dont take me post as a negative, im just trying to be realistic, it's just my 2p :thumleft:

By all means feel free to ignore me ... Most people do! Lol
Last edited by KarlBristol on Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Selling up my highly modified and restored Rev 1 V6 3.0 1MZ-FE VVTi

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=176156
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

I honestly thought this was a joke until I read it properly.

10/10 for effort but your fabrication skills are about as good as mine :-k
dazzz wrote:I'm no expert but
ryan

Post by ryan »

Christ on a bike :shock:
rev3turbo

Post by rev3turbo »

Is this a wind up?
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

rev3turbo wrote:Is this a wind up?

I couldn't decide. The underfloor panels look to have ben done well, but i admit the rest looks as though it was done in a nursery school.

It's not April 1st is it?? :lol:
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

But even on a 1000Kg Noble, no real effects were noticed until 120mph, and a car 30% heavier the effects are going to be less.

....wheel arches filling up with air caused by the high speed rotation of the wheels. Which is why all race cars have some sort of venting of the wheel arches.

Even with 48 hours of develepment at MIRA, the improvements to the Noble were less tan 7% without a large increase in drag, and at speeds well into 3 figures.

I'm not criticising your efforts, you asked for all opinions, and i'm offering based on real results.

And thanks for the comments Peter. You are right, the effect is never going to be significant, but i think 500 quid on aero will do for more lap time than 500 quid on engine mods. RE the wheel arches, i am aware of that and its something i might do in future. However that is arguablt the most complex and least understood area of road car aero and as i dont know much about it i havent modified it yet.

That 7% figure is understandable, but i would be willing to bet that the noble is already pretty good? rad air goes over bonnet, flat floor, low to ground, rear wing? All ive done is add those features, n

Not try to improve them.

KarlBristol wrote:

only going to be of any real use at ridiculous speeds that I doubt an mr2 could achieve :-k

Plus all the added weight of that metal, combined with no weight saving...

If your that focused on things like the aerodynamics surely things like the uneven and wavey engine lid is also going to be counterproductive as the air flow will be all over the place. Also the undtrays would need to be fully flush with eachother for any decent effect. What about the mirrors and other parts that hamper perfect aerodynamics?

If your that concerned about sticking to a track why not just spend a fraction of what you spent on that metal and get wider wheels/ tyres or spacers for a better stance???

The theory is good, although I think there are far better ways of achieving your goals. I think that you will find following your current path is somewhat fruitless unless your throwing out veryron style bhp/torque...

I have to be honest the only thing I dislike more than your engine lid is your diffuser. Sorry but surely it's going to be massively counter-productive and it looks gash.

Again thanks for the comments, i appreciate them. They should have an affect in the 70-120 mph range, so things like mid and high speed corners and braking stability after a long straight. But only time and experience will tell.

Yes ive probably added 30-50kg or so but ive shed 70kg from standard in weight saving. im hopeful it will outweigh the weight gain.

The wavey engine lid is not ideal i agree but is significantly better than an unstable recirculation zone. The rear wing is high enough and far enough away that is should not be affected by this. Undertrays are pretty much flush. But a 1cm step causes air to reattach 5-7cm down the line, so any 5mm-1cm step changes arent going to cause much issue.

Im waiting for my current tyres to wear out before i get new stickier ones. Plus i wanted to do this for my own entertainment and interest. Buying tyres isnt very interesting.

How is the diffuser counter productive? Ive rounded the trailing edge to maintain departure angle and none if this is for cosmetic purposes so i dont care what people think about its looks. If they like it, its a plus.

Yes i know my fabrication sucks but its pretty difficult doing it all on your driveway with no workshop. And bending perspex is very difficult to do in that situation. In hindsight i should have made a jig but oh well.
psummers

Post by psummers »

Good on you for having a go. It may work or it may not, but at least you've learnt a few new skills and enjoyed doing it.
Harv23

Post by Harv23 »

Sod be run over by it or should I say feet amputated by it

Bit duck tape over gaps on floor and make the front out of fiber glass

Return to “Modifications”