[Mk2] [Turbo] Taller final drive modification to Mk2 Turbo Gearbox - Results

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Scott Barton
IMOC Committee

[Mk2] [Turbo] Taller final drive modification to Mk2 Turbo Gearbox - Results

Post by Scott Barton »

Following the exceptional service i received from Century Motorsport and my newly fitted modified gearbox i thought i would post up the findings.

Now this test was not an exact science and simply involved a Tom Tom sat nav to record the speed as best i could, and my car rev counter. The important bit is that the exact same method of measurement was used, and the same strip of M26 motorway (Albeit in opposite directions)

The following results were taken:

Existing Rev 3 LSD Gearbox
60mph - 2750rpm
70mph - 3000rpm

Modified Rev 3 LSD Gearbox with taller final drive
60mph - 2500rpm
70mph - 2750rpm

Clearly see a considerable rev count reduction throughout the speed ranges. :thumleft:
Another observation made on the fuel consumption on my drive up there compared to the journey back. I used just over 3/4 tank there, and just over 1/2 back. The speed and journey times were variable though so not sure how much i can read into that.

On the whole, very satisfied! :clap:

More info here:
http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=135158

And trader feedback thread here:
http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=135423
Last edited by Scott Barton on Mon May 17, 2010 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
IMOC - winners of JAE best overall club stand 2010, 2013, 2014 & 2017!
1994 GT-S T-Bar 397bhp with NOS *sold*
2016 Porsche Cayman 981GTS 347bhp Flat Six
RyanRs

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Taller final drive modification to Mk2 Turbo Gearbox - Results

Post by RyanRs »

Scott, i know this is a hard one to explain, but how differently does it pull now? I would imagine with the whole gear ratio now being slightly lower, the car will require more power to move, which would 'technically' cause a reduction in initial acceleration, however the increased initial load on the engine would cause an increase in exhaust velocity and therefore a decrease in turbo spool time and as a result; Increase the initial acceleration.... ?

So put simply, Does it accelerate faster! lol
ashley

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Taller final drive modification to Mk2 Turbo Gearbox - Results

Post by ashley »

Looks like a really worthwhile mod- very very tempted: cheers for sharing Scott :thumleft:
Marf

Post by Marf »

How much are the bits to do this?
Century Motorsport

Post by Century Motorsport »

Just to clear up the confusion, Scott had the longer final drive fitted - all the gears are std.

The final drive mod consists of a Crown wheel, pinion & oil pump gear. This will effectively lengthen each gear - Ryan's terms of the crank gear being on a push bike being the final drive and the gears on the rear wheel being the gears is a good way to think about it :)
Builders of the the UK's first 9second MR2 - 9.722 @ 148 MPH ----- 07947883103 ---- www.centurymotorsport.com
Scott Barton
IMOC Committee

Post by Scott Barton »

Thanks mate..... 8-[
mr2toby

Post by mr2toby »

Hi Scott

Glad the kit went to good use. If you like i can work out your maximum speed in each gear before and after the final drive mod.

Just need your rpm limit, wheel size, rear tire width and sidewall profile.
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

If I were to make what I considered a perfect gear ratio I would want a considerably taller than stock 1st and 5th gear.

Has anyone come up with a way to make just the 1st and 5th gears taller but leave all the other gears as they are?
Johnny G

Post by Johnny G »

I think the cars gearing is great for <350bhp. For more than that you need longer gears to make the engine sing a bit IMO.
3.4ltr V6 Turbo. Built by Woodsport. Controlled by Syvecs, mapped by Ryan. 420bhp @ 0.7bar from 2400rpm
Scott Barton
IMOC Committee

Post by Scott Barton »

mr2toby wrote:Hi Scott

Glad the kit went to good use. If you like i can work out your maximum speed in each gear before and after the final drive mod.

Just need your rpm limit, wheel size, rear tire width and sidewall profile.

Hi mate, yep the parts were certainly put to good use. :thumleft:
Car drives like new now!

Return to “Modifications”