What should i expect?

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

oracle

What should i expect?

Post by oracle »

im looking for an mr2 and it will be my first RWD car and i am a bit worried about losing the back end in the wet.

What are you supposed to do to recover it?

What is driving the car like?
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Re: What should i expect?

Post by Lauren »

oracle wrote:im looking for an mr2 and it will be my first RWD car and i am a bit worried about losing the back end in the wet.

What are you supposed to do to recover it?

What is driving the car like?

Its a bit like riding a bike ie you can only learn by doing. Be smooth is the way really.

Best bet is to the IMOC Trackday if you can at Elvington airfield on Sat 3rd September, see the sticky in the general section as that is the perfect place to explore the limits of your car.

If the back end does go, ease off the throttle and balance the car, do not touch the brakes and drive out of it. Don't floor it or lift off abruptly. Look where you want to go to ignore everything else and steer into it.

The main reason while people lose the back end is because they steer too much into a skid and then are too slow to take the steering lock off so they end up going the other way ie fishtailing up the road, which normally means the accident happens further up the road.

It is a learned skill to know exactly how much steering lock to put on and when to take it off. Like i said come on the airfield day at elvington and you can experiment in a safe environment.

They are tricky cars to handle on the limit for sure. They are not really any more difficult handling wise in the wet, its more that the limit of grip will be lower than it is in the dry and most people don't go beyond the limit of mechanical grip in the dry. The Mk2s have power steering and don't provide a mega amount of feel tbh. If you are getting a turbo then the problem is worse because the power delivery isn't linear and the difference between on and off boost means that the rear end will step out quite quickly in the wet. An NA is a bit more predictable as you don't have that sudden wallop of torque you get with the turbo.

HTH
Last edited by Lauren on Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
scotiamr2t

Post by scotiamr2t »

lots an lots of this [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o<

:lol:

first of all time to get used to the car i.e take your time be real carefull for the 1st while
nikaso

Post by nikaso »

I have had the back end twitch in the dry and you do have to be damm quick getting lock off, mind you the sometimes its quite fun the have your ar$e hanging out!

:lol:
GeoffC320

Post by GeoffC320 »

Lauren wrote:If you are getting a turbo then the problem is worse because the power delivery isn't linear and the difference between on and off boost means that the rear end will step out quite quickly in the wet. An NA is a bit more predictable as you don't have that sudden wallop of torque you get with the turbo.HTH

Been thinking about this...between 2,500 rpm and 4,000 rpm my turbo goes from 150 lb/ft to 250 lb/ft :shock: (according to my last dyno chart). I can see how this could be considered a bit 'lively'. Of course that's under full throttle in 4th gear so the effect would not be as dramatic in real-world conditions.

However out of the 6 or so turbos I've now driven I've noticed a common theme; the cars with CT26 and fairly standard spec (no EMS other than stock) definitely have a poorer power delivery in terms of 'nothing, nothing, OMG!'. With a few mods such as lighter flywheel, decat & decent mapping the cars are not only more powerful but actually easier and safer to drive IMO.

Be interested to see what other turbo owners think.

Return to “Driving Experiences”