Air Scoop for MK1

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

PJ3074

Air Scoop for MK1

Post by PJ3074 »

Is it really any good...personnally I think its pig ugly on the MK1 (looks 8) on the MK2 - See the Black Beast)...personnaly prefer the engine bay trumpet system out to the side air vent.......comments from all on this :?:
SuperRedMR2

Re: Air Scoop for MK1

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Ive looked into getting one many times, because I think it looks good. But it wouldnt do anything for my car, as my air filter is in the boot. But it brings additional air into the engine bay apparently. Too expensive me thinks.
coverco

Post by coverco »

You mean like this (shameless photo opportunity) :lol:

It has grown on me and I quite like it now, as to whether it helps, well do a search and you will find loads of discussions about this, my opinion is it can't do any harm :thumleft:

As to cost. about £100 sprayed.
PJ3074

Post by PJ3074 »

coverco wrote:As to cost. about £100 sprayed.

:-k Well seeing it in red does look better than a mica blue one I saw...mind you I would expect that it would increase drag?

You can do a nice air trumpet system for about £30-£45 with a polished inlet head (in colours) to the induction kit and the ducting can be routed to the air vent or scoop air from underneath the car, keeping it all contained in the engine bay....each to their own I suppose :neutral:
010on1986

Post by 010on1986 »

Why not use one of these.

PJ3074

Post by PJ3074 »

I just love the comedy you get in this place...its good to see clever humour thrown into the mix. :clap: :clap:
MartG

Post by MartG »

If you don't add any ducting to get the air where you want it ( e.g. to an air filter on the throttle body ) all it does is spray rainwater over the fusebox [-X

Mine used to be on my SC, with air ducted to the intercooler, but its now on my track car ducted to the airfilter
coverco

Post by coverco »

PJ3074 wrote:
coverco wrote:As to cost. about £100 sprayed.

:-k Well seeing it in red does look better than a mica blue one I saw...mind you I would expect that it would increase drag?

You can do a nice air trumpet system for about £30-£45 with a polished inlet head (in colours) to the induction kit and the ducting can be routed to the air vent or scoop air from underneath the car, keeping it all contained in the engine bay....each to their own I suppose :neutral:

So ducting the air from under the car won't cause the same drag?

Drag is caused if the air is taken into a closed space (try using a parachute with a hole in it), the engine bay is not closed and the K&N is actually sucking air into the engine, so unless the engine cover vents are blocked or the scoop takes in more air than the engine and vents remove there will be no more drag than in a normal set up :thumleft:
coverco

Post by coverco »

MartG wrote:If you don't add any ducting to get the air where you want it ( e.g. to an air filter on the throttle body ) all it does is spray rainwater over the fusebox [-X

I have an easy solution to this, I don't drive mine in the rain :thumleft:
PJ3074

Post by PJ3074 »

I get your point :-k
coverco

Post by coverco »

PJ3074 wrote:I get your point :-k

Hopefully not with the parachute :lol:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

pointless scoop,a mk1 doesnt need one.... have you ever seen how much airflow there is coming up through a mk1 engine bay? its quite a lot!! much more than that scoop will provide,in fact id go as far to say the air travelling upward will negate any air being fed into the bay.... check out this video of a mk1 engine lid not latched so you can see the airflow for yourself.... both cars in this vid have floating lids

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKNKU0mtoTU

so a pretty pointless scoop really!
coverco

Post by coverco »

PW@Woodsport wrote:pointless scoop,a mk1 doesnt need one.... have you ever seen how much airflow there is coming up through a mk1 engine bay? its quite a lot!! much more than that scoop will provide,in fact id go as far to say the air travelling upward will negate any air being fed into the bay.... check out this video of a mk1 engine lid not latched so you can see the airflow for yourself.... both cars in this vid have floating lids

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKNKU0mtoTU

so a pretty pointless scoop really!

So what you are saying is it will not affect the airflow, that means it is a personal choice issue. A bit like putting wide arches on, or 17" alloys both of which are pointless in my opinion but each to their own :-k
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

what im saying is its a waste of time in terms of gaining airflow and a cosmetic add on only,theres many times more air flowing up through the engine bay from the road than will ever be delivered by that scoop

A bit like putting wide arches on, or 17" alloys both of which are pointless in my opinion but each to their own

on a standard car yes,but not so pointless when you have a supercharged 3 ltr v6 in the back no.
coverco

Post by coverco »

PW@Woodsport wrote:what im saying is its a waste of time in terms of gaining airflow and a cosmetic add on only,theres many times more air flowing up through the engine bay from the road than will ever be delivered by that scoop

A bit like putting wide arches on, or 17" alloys both of which are pointless in my opinion but each to their own

on a standard car yes,but not so pointless when you have a supercharged 3 ltr v6 in the back no.

So how many MK1 MR2's have supercharged 3ltr V6's in the back? As this is the MK1 forum I think it is relevant :thumleft:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

strictly speaking to keep it relevant you need to stay on topic , the scoop

So how many MK1 MR2's have supercharged 3ltr V6's in the back?

well mine for a start,and customers ones.... they all need a big footprint on the rear to get the power down,hence the big wheels and hence the wide arches to cover those wheels.... but this thread is about the scoop,which doesnt work on a mk1 be it modified or not,theres too much airflow coming in the opposite direction ie from underneath.
coverco

Post by coverco »

PW@Woodsport wrote:strictly speaking to keep it relevant you need to stay on topic , the scoop

So how many MK1 MR2's have supercharged 3ltr V6's in the back?

well mine for a start,and customers ones.... they all need a big footprint on the rear to get the power down,hence the big wheels and hence the wide arches to cover those wheels.... but this thread is about the scoop,which doesnt work on a mk1 be it modified or not,theres too much airflow coming in the opposite direction ie from underneath.

So you have a MK1 supercharged V6 on the road?

As you say back on topic (even though I never left the topic as we are talking aesthetics), I know the scoop has no actual airflow function but if you like the look why not, it will not do any harm :thumleft:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

no its not on the road yet,but the engine is in,95% hooked up and almost ready to fire...

I know the scoop has no actual airflow function but if you like the look why not, it will not do any harm

agreed,its purely a cosmetic add on in my opinion.... if it wasnt for the massive airflow coming upwards it would be at least doing something.
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

That looks awesome paul. How much bhp and more importantly how many torques?
coverco

Post by coverco »

PW@Woodsport wrote:no its not on the road yet,but the engine is in,95% hooked up and almost ready to fire...

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://url.photobucket.com/albums/v624/ ... inein2.jpg

I know the scoop has no actual airflow function but if you like the look why not, it will not do any harm

agreed,its purely a cosmetic add on in my opinion.... if it wasnt for the massive airflow coming upwards it would be at least doing something.

So the answer is there are no MK1 V6 superchargers on the road in the UK :thumleft:

[Pedantic Mode Off]

Will it be ready for Brutal Ball,it does look great \:D/

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”