[Mk2] [Generic] fitting a Tom's style bodykit

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mattymr2

[Mk2] [Generic] fitting a Tom's style bodykit

Post by mattymr2 »

i have recently bought a toms body kit off ebay, consisiting of front and rear bumpers and side skirts

the seller of course gauranteed perfect fit e.t.c as theyalways do. :mad:

after some test fitting it was apparent the front bumper and skirts were miles out 8-[ with the only consilation being the rear bumper seemed ok.

lesson 1. generally the less you spend on a bodykit, the more time or money will be required to make it fit correctly! ](*,)

im gonna regularly update the thread with my progress to try and help others who may attempt this themselves and show them just how much work is involved. :thumleft:

i did a fair amount of research before deciding to take the project on myself and its important more than any thing the process of fitting and spraying a bodykit cannot be rushed, as with all good bodywork.

i will take as much time as needed to make this as perfect as i can, and this may take a considerable amount of time especially as its the first time ive done bodywork :-s

first job was stripping the front and rear bumpers and side vents:

test fitting the rear bumper:

surprisingly not bad compared to the front and sides :-k
Last edited by mattymr2 on Thu May 22, 2008 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scotty_b

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] fitting a Tom's style bodykit

Post by Scotty_b »

looking good!! can i ask who you got the kit off? was it a Ebay company or just a one off? wanting a toms rear?

Scotty

Oh and chuck up some more pics once she is done!! :thumleft:
h3_5xy_j

Post by h3_5xy_j »

tempted to go down the bodykit route myself, and would be fitting myself too, so keep the report and pics coming mate, i'll be following everystep and I'm sure it will help not only me but a few others too
Harry

Post by Harry »

Matt,Toms Is the finest looking kit In my opinion It's going to look tremendous 8)
C50

Post by C50 »

Harry wrote:Matt,Toms Is the finest looking kit In my opinion It's going to look tremendous 8)

ditto :thumleft:
mattymr2

Post by mattymr2 »

im gonna get a tom's spoiler too! :thumleft:

i'd have it now if i hadn't just had to buy a new clutch! :cry:

not decided about the passenger side air intake yet though?
Spittinflames

Post by Spittinflames »

mattymr2 wrote:im gonna get a tom's spoiler too! :thumleft:

i'd have it now if i hadn't just had to buy a new clutch! :cry:

not decided about the passenger side air intake yet though?

Will look good mate, but dont bother with the scoops personally i think they look terrible, although if you must go with a scoop or two the bomex style look better.

Who did you get your kit off?

For anyone else looking for kits, I had a border front from styling fx (ebay) and it was a super fit.
marcnoonan

Post by marcnoonan »

Harry wrote:Matt,Toms Is the finest looking kit In my opinion It's going to look tremendous 8)

Apart from the front which looks pretty standard, but the sides and rear are sweet. :thumleft:

Aren't the Do-luck scoops the most "blended"?

Marc
Everyone looks at me when I drive down the road now....... wish I could read minds.
no1djpj

Post by no1djpj »

I hope you have bought alot of fibre glass filler. The front will never fit without filling the sides onto the wing. and the mould if that was bought from IBK is short of the left hand side so the only way to get it on is by cutting the bumper and taking out a section i can send you photos if you want.
I bet the side skirts leave a 1" gap down the in side of the door.
GOOD LUCK BUDDY they look great when finished
mattymr2

Post by mattymr2 »

Right.

it is from IBK but i wasnt gonna mention them as the fit is soooooooo bad!
and the front bumpers short of the front wings by a good few inches both sides!!!

first visit to the paint shop today where i have bought fibre glass hardners and resin and of course fibre glass matting.

i got some etch primer and thinners as my paint match is gonna take till tuesday as theres 3 different tones of toyota 040 superwhite 2 apparently? :-k
ive left one of my side vents with them any way.
ive chosen to use cellulose paint as its alot cheaper and what the car would have originally been painted with and it will/can produce equal results with a bit more work to 2 pack paint.

im currently in the process of building up the fibre glass in layers to fill the gaps and rebuild incorrect fitting parts of the side skirts.

i plan to fit the side skirts first, rear bumper then front bumper, then i should hopefully get a rear spoiler....

its gonna take forever.... ](*,)

any pro's out there wana come help? \:D/
no1djpj

Post by no1djpj »

Matt you should have called only just realeased it was you. Would have come down over the bank holiday to help would have got me out of do the family thing. :-$
mattymr2

Post by mattymr2 »

ahhhhhhhhhh nnoooooooooooo!!!!!!! ](*,)

would of loved a hand!!! :thumleft:

i just keep thinkin "surely their's a better way of doing this!" :eye:

if i had the money she'd be straight to the body shop!!! [-( :mrgreen:
no1djpj

Post by no1djpj »

Just take your time with it. Its not easy. Call me over the weekend if you need help. All i can say to help is the side skirts will need alot of trimming down the edges that fit under the doors and cut off the top fixing lugs that will help. Try not to rivit along th edges on the door sills use sticking poo and fix onto the rear arch the front will hold on onto the front arch cover.
you will need to thin the kit down alot under the doors. try not to grind the bottom of the doors you will end up with rust problems later on.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Hi Matt-here Is the Toms MR 2 Imported direct from Japan eight years ago.Hats off to you for taking It on think the Toms aero wing will be sweet look forward to seeing It once done-all the best with the project.Harry. 8)
mattymr2

Post by mattymr2 »

thanks harry 8)

im sure it will be worth it..... :cry:

i just cant beleive how difficult it is, ive spent £70 on materials now!

i feel like im going backwards with the side skirts, iv rushed without realising... ](*,) and im back to square one

its emotional stuff and im tempted to give up if im honest. :shock:
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

mattymr2 wrote:thanks harry 8)

im sure it will be worth it..... :cry:

i just cant beleive how difficult it is, ive spent £70 on materials now!

i feel like im going backwards with the side skirts, iv rushed without realising... ](*,) and im back to square one

its emotional stuff and im tempted to give up if im honest. :shock:

don't give up mate, just accept it may take 200 - 300 hours and just stick in there, be worth it in the end, especially knowing you will save yourself shitloads of dosh and how good your car will look afterwords...

chin up :thumleft: ...
Harry

Post by Harry »

Yes as Martin says be positive It will be great and look out of this world have an Idea PM sent. :D
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

Keep at it - end resulr will be worth it! :-)

nuttasie

Post by nuttasie »

keep at it bud.Don't look at the problems as one,or it will get to you.Try to do 1 at a time and sort 1 at a time.It will be worth the hassle when you've finished,and you can say,i did that :thumleft: .

if you was a bit closer you could have popped over(dudley)and i could have had a look,to see if i could offer any advice.

Keep at it :thumleft:
Harry

Post by Harry »

Yes you are right Marc,the front bumper does follow the oem lines but goes a little lower and has such stunning subtle lines of design giving a more factory look than say bolt on.Here Is the Toms one which ended up with carbon bonnet and mirrors... 8)
marcnoonan wrote:Apart from the front which looks pretty standard...Marc

Return to “Modifications”