[Mk2] [Turbo] GTS and GT whats the difference???

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

InFaMou$

[Mk2] [Turbo] GTS and GT whats the difference???

Post by InFaMou$ »

Just wondering what was the difference between a mk2 turbo gt model and a turbo gts model, thought it might have something to do with interior am i right?

Craig
simmo490

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] GTS and GT whats the difference???

Post by simmo490 »

there are a few things, the GT came with a higher STANDARD spec which is also heavier where as if u wanted extras on the GTS you had to pay

i had a gt and it had things like traction control, fold in mirrors, half leather, and other bits and bobs which i cant remember
InFaMou$

Post by InFaMou$ »

so out of the 2 the gt is the one to have?
robbie_742003

Post by robbie_742003 »

It is if you want all the fancy bits!
simmo490

Post by simmo490 »

yes mate if u dont mind a slightly heavier car, i recon allot harder to get hold of too
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

GT has climate control as well doesnt it?

Either way I didnt worry to much, the car I liked was a GTS so just went with it. GT has more stuff which = more stuff to go wrong :mrgreen: lol
simmo490

Post by simmo490 »

yeh it did have climate control i had an extra button called e con i think lol
Marf

Post by Marf »

simmo490 wrote:yeh it did have climate control i had an extra button called e con i think lol

My GT-S has auto climate control with econ mode.

I wanted a GT to begin with as I wanted the half leather and foldy mirrors but I cant say that I am unhappy having bought a GT-S whatsoever.
Rhiannan

Post by Rhiannan »

Yup my GT-S has air-con and e-con whatever that is, neither work any way so I don't care :lol:

Yeah, GT's came with foldy mirrors and leather seats as standard. Generally more luxury. The GT-S is considered the sport model so was a bit more basic.

Not much difference really 8)
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

The ONLY guaranteed differences are:

GT has half leather, steering fogs and electric folding wing mirrors.

The GT isn't more luxury apart from the above. And I don't think they're heavier. T-bar cars are heavier than tin-tops, though.

All cars have the same air-con/climate control.

Not even all GTs have the premium sound system. IMO, there's no point setting your sights on a GT at the expense of letting a decent GTS go by. The main choice for most people seems to be colour and T-bar/tin-top.

:thumleft: :D
Marf

Post by Marf »

mattcambs wrote:IMO, there's no point setting your sights on a GT at the expense of letting a decent GTS go by.

:thumleft:
dawolf

Post by dawolf »

I always say the GT-S is the one made for racing due to it's lightweight and less sound deadening, whereas the GT is more of a luxury model but at the expense of slightly more weight. I'm not that bothered about the aircon generally, however I have used it a few times this week.
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

ahhh so thats what the Econ is (Climate control). I thought it was an Economy Air Con mode that didnt use as much fuel lol :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
SimonPearse

Post by SimonPearse »

I have had 2 rev 2 GTS models, and looked at perhaps a dozen cars each time I ought one. As faw as I could tell the only feature that GT's had, and which was absent from every GTS I saw, was the electricly folding mirrors.
Both my GTS cars have had steerable fog lights, 1st one has reccaro seats/ alcantara door cards, 2nd was 1/2 leather. Both had climate control, 2nd one has traction control/ABS.
I dont believe there is a weight difference, it's just marketing b0ll0x.
Spittinflames

Post by Spittinflames »

Dont you think we should have a sticky regarding the differences between the GT and GT-S.

This question gets asked rather alot.
InFaMou$

Post by InFaMou$ »

Spittinflames wrote:Dont you think we should have a sticky regarding the differences between the GT and GT-S.

This question gets asked rather alot.

:thumleft: I sure as hell do but, there are a few different opinions so whats the right one??? :lol:

Thanks for your info anyways guys :thumleft:
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

mattcambs wrote:The ONLY guaranteed differences are:

GT has half leather, steering fogs and electric folding wing mirrors.

The GT isn't more luxury apart from the above. And I don't think they're heavier. T-bar cars are heavier than tin-tops, though.

All cars have the same air-con/climate control.

Not even all GTs have the premium sound system. IMO, there's no point setting your sights on a GT at the expense of letting a decent GTS go by. The main choice for most people seems to be colour and T-bar/tin-top.

:thumleft: :D

+1

there is literally no point going for a GT imo over a GTS...they all basically came with the same equipment.
when i wanted a bit of luxury, i got uk FULL leather seats and door cards....no GT comes with those :thumleft:

there are weight difference, it makes perfect sense that a car with abs will may a tad more than one without.....
all imports had aircon/econ...be it utrbo or glimted.
woody

Post by woody »

I started out looking for a gt, but the importer showed me a couple of mint gts and i couldnt resist.. fabric seats, no steering fogs or folding mirrors.. :cry: :D
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

Steve-O 2007 wrote:ahhh so thats what the Econ is (Climate control). I thought it was an Economy Air Con mode that didnt use as much fuel lol :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

"Auto" is climate control!

"Economy" like you say, mate, is also automatic, but doesn't try and cool the temp down as much by not using the air-con quite as much, i.e more economical :thumleft:
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

jimGTS wrote:
+1

there is literally no point going for a GT imo over a GTS...they all basically came with the same equipment.
when i wanted a bit of luxury, i got uk FULL leather seats and door cards....no GT comes with those :thumleft:

That is a great idea :thumleft: One I've thought of beofre. I would love to find a mint UK full leather interior to swap into mine. I bet a good one cost a bit, though?

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”