[Mk2] [Turbo] Failed MOT - Handbrake unsatisfactory

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

dervbas

[Mk2] [Turbo] Failed MOT - Handbrake unsatisfactory

Post by dervbas »

My G reg turbo failed on just ONE thing! The rear nearside wheel does not hold when parking brake is applied.

Could there be any simple/principle things I should assume not working?

The MOT garage spent 2 hours trying to adjust the lever position (directly under the handbrake lever), and tried winding in the piston and back out. They believe the caliper needs replacing yet this is the newest caliper on the vehicle: purchased from SBITS and fitted only January 2007!!!

Any ideas? :shock:
toxo
IMOC Committee

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Failed MOT - Handbrake unsatisfactory

Post by toxo »

There's a nack to winding the pistons... you have to wind it all the way in, then out 180 degrees. If it still isn't auto adjusting properly, wind it back in, then another 20 degrees, then 180 back out again.
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Could it be the cables? It's normally them that need replacing when the h/brake starts to lose it's bite. They get attacked by water apparently. I had to get both sides replaced in two consecutive years 'cos it failed the MOT for that reason.

R.
dervbas

Post by dervbas »

You guys are great - thank you I'll look into it. :)

(The MOT garage are not MR2 specific and maybe don't know what to do?)
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Good point Rob, do you know of a good place to pick them up as my driver's side needs replacing? I seem to remember Toyota are very expensive and JeffD doesn't have any left anymore :(
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Think Rogue and Fensport both do 'em.

R.
ci_newman

Post by ci_newman »

Brakes International used to supply them too :)
dervbas

Post by dervbas »

Sorry guys I'm a bit of a n00b when it comes to calipers. Check out my pics:

Pic 1 shows the caliper and "piston" yes? The piston has those two indentations on it where I can use a tool on it to wind it in or out?
How do I know when its wound all the way in? Should the black rubber around it get all caught whilst I'm turning it?
Should the handbrake be on or off for this procedure?

Pic 2 shows various other springs and nuts: do I need to "play" with these?

Pic 3 shows where the handbrake cable seems to attach to the caliper. Is that the "pin" that attaches the end of the cable to the spring mechanism on the caliper?

](*,) ](*,)

Now, when I pull the handbrake the spring mechanism in Pic 2 & 3 moves freefly (as I'm sure it should). But the piston does not move. :-k
JOHNM400

Post by JOHNM400 »

dervbas wrote: Pic 1 shows the caliper and "piston" yes? The piston has those two indentations on it where I can use a tool on it to wind it in or out?
How do I know when its wound all the way in? Should the black rubber around it get all caught whilst I'm turning it?
Should the handbrake be on or off for this procedure?

Keep turning the piston until it wont go in anymore. There is no stop point as such and it will turn forever but you will reach a point were the piston is not retracting any further. The handbrake must be completely off. Id advise to disconnect the handbrake cable from the operating arms on the caliper by removing the steel pin. If you dont disconnect the cable then you must slacken the adjustment right off under the centre of the car before starting.

dervbas wrote:Pic 2 shows various other springs and nuts: do I need to "play" with these?
NO,the only thing you touch is the piston. You may want to give the spraing and handbrake lever a good blast with wd40 to ensure its free. [/quote]

dervbas wrote:Pic 3 shows where the handbrake cable seems to attach to the caliper. Is that the "pin" that attaches the end of the cable to the spring mechanism on the caliper?

Yes remove that pin and disconnect the handbrake cable from the operating arm before starting

dervbas wrote:Now, when I pull the handbrake the spring mechanism in Pic 2 & 3 moves freefly (as I'm sure it should). But the piston does not move. :-k

Thats why your handbrake is crap. The piston has not been adjusted.

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... ht=#828049

Here is the exact procedure for the adjustment. Follow Paul Woods instructions in that thread and your handbrake will work!
dervbas

Post by dervbas »

I'm gutted! :evil:

I've spent about 5 hours of my birthday under the car and I did everything yourself and Paul Woods had said and when trying to turn the hubs around (with the wheels off) both sides were solid. I thought I'd done it!

But then I re-fitted the wheels and tested it again and one side was still solid but the side that has failed the MOT could be just about turned by hand. :cry: :cry:

I adjusted the handbrake lever to 2-3 clicks too. The piston obviously just isn't moving enough!

What I can tell you is when I was turning the pistons to do the adjusting the one on the offending side was much easier to turn in and out, while the side that didn't fail the MOT took a lot more effort to adjust.

What annoys me is this is the newest caliper out of the others bought from SBiTs only January 2007 - could it be broken already?
JOHNM400

Post by JOHNM400 »

I take it the discs and pads are in good/ok condition? The other thing to check is that with the cable removed from the caliper arm you should be able to move it freely in and out by hand on both sides.

It sounds as if you have done something wrong. Did you touch the handbrake operating arm by accident on the caliper at all during the adjustment process? I take it you wound the piston inwards enough? You need to take it all the way in so it goes no further and then turn a few more times to make sure its completely retracted.

When you unwind the piston out if you go too far and the caliper will not go over the pads then you must wind it all the way back in and start again. You cannot just turn it back slightly so the caliper goes over the pads. As soon as you wind the piston inwards it loses its adjustment and must be reset.
dervbas

Post by dervbas »

The adjusting mechanism is not working. SBiTS are exchanging the whole caliper in warranty so problem will be solved. Thanks Peter.

Cheers everyone for your posts. :)
dervbas

Post by dervbas »

New caliper was put on, brakes bled correctly, and piston adjusted properly as per the Paul Woods article (albeit I didn't adjust the other side that's working fine) and took it for the MOT re-test.
Failed again on the same handbrake problem!

I can only think that maybe the handbrake cable on the offending side is stretching and not pulling the handbrake caliper lever back enough?!

What is that 12mm nut for on the end of the handbrake cable at the caliper handbrake lever? (edit: see picture below)
Last edited by dervbas on Wed May 14, 2008 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

The one that the spring sits around? From memory it just holds the parking brake crank on (the bit that's actually sprung and moves around), which has a pin on the other side of it which goes into the cylinder.
dervbas

Post by dervbas »

toxo wrote:The one that the spring sits around? From memory it just holds the parking brake crank on (the bit that's actually sprung and moves around), which has a pin on the other side of it which goes into the cylinder.

This one:
JOHNM400

Post by JOHNM400 »

If you are 100% certain you set the piston up properly as per Pauls write up then it could well be the cable stretching. That was the problem on mine when mine kept failing.

With the cable disconnected from the caliper you should be able to move it in and out freely by hand,if not its seized. If you can then its possible that your cable is streching. Might be worth putting a new cable on both sides if youve got the money as when i replaced one side it then showed the opposite side up on the rollers but just about passed.
Spittinflames

Post by Spittinflames »

I guarantee it's your cables, I did everything on mine to try and get my handbrake to work properly and nothing worked, It wasnt until a cable snapped and i replaced it that i found out it's the cables that make your handbrake naff.

I got mine from a local motor factors for 30 quid a side
philh

Post by philh »

simple try this easier trick save time by winding pistons back etc
TRY loosening both 10mm nuts at handbrake lever cable end untill handbrake is slack
Start engine for servo assistance pump brake pedal hard as you can for at least ten pumps then re-adjust cable by 10mm nut so h/brake lever comes up 7-10 clicks OR handbrake lever is nearley vertical, you should then have a perfect handbrake operation, if so lock-up second locknut.
JOB DONE N.B if only one side is faulty suspect h/cable seized very common. This is the procedure I have used in over 20 yrs working as master tech in Toyota/lexus dealers same proedure for AW11 AE86 Corolla etc
Spittinflames

Post by Spittinflames »

philh wrote:simple try this easier trick save time by winding pistons back etc
TRY loosening both 10mm nuts at handbrake lever cable end untill handbrake is slack
Start engine for servo assistance pump brake pedal hard as you can for at least ten pumps then re-adjust cable by 10mm nut so h/brake lever comes up 7-10 clicks OR handbrake lever is nearley vertical, you should then have a perfect handbrake operation, if so lock-up second locknut.
JOB DONE N.B if only one side is faulty suspect h/cable seized very common. This is the procedure I have used in over 20 yrs working as master tech in Toyota/lexus dealers same proedure for AW11 AE86 Corolla etc

Yeah then give it a month or so until the handbrake cable snaps
philh

Post by philh »

reply to spittingflames if cables snap that proves cables are past there best and the rubber corrogatted sleeve at end has been damaged allowing water into inner cable, generally cused by people playing winding back pistons ,levering arms tc

Return to “Mechanical”