[Mk2] [Generic] What is THIS bit made of? HELP ME!!!

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Nev

[Mk2] [Generic] What is THIS bit made of? HELP ME!!!

Post by Nev »

Hey

This might sound like a stupid set of questions...

I have a mk2 N/A, I think it's a rev 2 (It's a J reg, anyway)

1. What are the pistons made out of? Aluminium?

2. What are the piston chambers made out of? Hopefully aluminium again?

3. Is the standard manifold made of steel, s/steel or iron? It seems shiny enough to be s/steel but I can't take the risk!

I know how stupid this sounds, but I really REALLY need to know!

Nev
Nev

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] What is THIS bit made of? HELP ME!!!

Post by Nev »

Oh, I forgot the valves ](*,)

What are they made of?
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

1. Cast aluminium
2. Cast iron
3. Intake = aluminium Exhaust = cast iron
4. (valves) Stainless steel.
Nev

Post by Nev »

Jolly good show, cheers fella!

Now, does anybody know where I can get the piston chambers ceramic coated so they won't rust? Or are they coated in something already?
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

eh? :shock:

the cylinder bores shouldnt be rusting anyway :? , no 'water' other than condensation should be entering the bores, and that will get burnt off very easily ....

the cylinder walls/bores are constantly coated in oil from the underside of the piston.....

rust?? #-o :sick:
Nev

Post by Nev »

aha, there will be mostly water, very little petrol. Me and my dad converted his Toyota HiLux to run on water and I want to do the same to my 2, he's running about 25% more power since the conversion!

Long story!! The short version is:

Petrol companies are b@$tards
So is the government

I don't want to pay the predicted £1.50 per litre at the end of the year!!

Once I've done it to the 2, I'm gonna do a How-to guide somewhere on here
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

okay 8-[
Nev

Post by Nev »

I've just read through all this & seen how weird it looks, but trust me I'm going somewhere with this!! :mrgreen:

If this system cuts running costs on every car as much as it has for my old man, (dirt cheap tax and insurance as they both take emissions into account) and yet the parts to put it all together only cost around £200 just think of the possibilities!!

For example, you could run a V6 with as big a turbo/supercharger as you like and still pay bugg£r all running costs :twisted:

Doesn't that excuse what seems like temporary insanity?
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

It does sound insane. :shock:

One thing though - MR2 engines do get rust in the bores if they are left not running for an extended period. So I'm assuming no they are not coated.
T
Century Motorsport

Post by Century Motorsport »

Nev wrote:Hey

This might sound like a stupid set of questions...

I have a mk2 N/A, I think it's a rev 2 (It's a J reg, anyway)

1. What are the pistons made out of? Aluminium?

2. What are the piston chambers made out of? Hopefully aluminium again?

3. Is the standard manifold made of steel, s/steel or iron? It seems shiny enough to be s/steel but I can't take the risk!

I know how stupid this sounds, but I really REALLY need to know!

Nev

Pistons chambers?.... Bores?
Builders of the the UK's first 9second MR2 - 9.722 @ 148 MPH ----- 07947883103 ---- www.centurymotorsport.com
MR!! wren

Post by MR!! wren »

do you mean you fitted water injection to his hilux? it doesn't mean the car now runs on water, or have you really gone mad? water doesn't burn
SySanguinary
IMOC Committee

Post by SySanguinary »

MR!! wren wrote:do you mean you fitted water injection to his hilux? it doesn't mean the car now runs on water, or have you really gone mad? water doesn't burn

Not in it's normal state but Hydrogen burns really well mixed with Oxygen. :bang:
fearless

Post by fearless »

sounds good then thay will start charging us for water though, ive read about a young lad that sells old cooking oil he charges chippys to take it away then purifies it and sells it to people who have converted cars. made the machine that does it himself thats clever and his only young :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
Nev

Post by Nev »

No, not water injection, that is old tech, it was used in Spitfires in WWII (So was NOS, incidentally)

This system works by splitting the molecules in water down to hydrogen and oxygen. There are two types of hydrogen present in water, orthohydrogen and parahydrogen. By varying the different levels of these three parts, you can alter the burn rate/temp - the same as having 98 or 95 rated petrol!

No electrolyte needs to be added, it is already present as they put artificial minerals and chlorine in tap water during the cleaning/recycling process and these work perfectly well as an electrolyte!

More details to come as and when I test them in the 2
PFrazier

Post by PFrazier »

Interested.
fearless

Post by fearless »

just thought its a bit earlier for an april fools isnt it :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
RST

Post by RST »

Hydrogen powered vehicles were proved in the late 60's / 70's.

..what on earth are you talking about? In any case, and NO OFFENCE BUT YOU WOULD MORE STUIPID THAN A STUPID MAN WITHOUT ATTENDING THE "HOW TO BE STUPID" LESSONS TO POST ANYTHING OF REAL VALUE ON THIS HERE IF IT WORKS AND IT'S ORIGINAL. Without going to the patent office first and paying your initial £300 if it possibly works.

.....If it's a anything other than making your own fuel from chip fat (which tax still aplies but is MUCH cheaper), or water injection to retard the flame front and cooling / shaping the charge (which as you say) dates back from WW2 to account for the shortfall against the excellent German superchargers at the time, then feel free.
just thought its a bit earlier for an april fools isnt it
converted his Toyota HiLux
...please be very careful the difference between essentially a compression engine and a petrol engine, never mind an MR2. No doubt you already know this.

...lets hear it please, got my interest anyway! And may your engine be corrosion free.
TheRoadWarrior

Post by TheRoadWarrior »

I understand how you could use hydrogen to power your car.. but water? You need to get the hydrogen out of the water.. i.e. electrolysis. Are you proposing to do this on board the car or simply making it before hand??
Nev

Post by Nev »

There are 2 basic elements to the circuit, a pair of electrodes and a toroid coil. one makes the orthohydrogen and oxygen, the other parahydrogen and oxygen. The entire unit runs from a normal 12Vdc car source, and is closely monitored by a pressure gauge (for the actual generator/converter) and a CHT gauge (to make sure the engine doesn't overheat - mainly used in the initial setup stage)

They've been used as a additive to petrol for many years (Rommel used them, again in WWII) but it's only with the advent of the new generation super-efficient microchips that you can produce enough to power an engine on a mere 12v. The base of the control module is a 2nd generation 555 timer chip and a 741 op amp!

Water tank in the boot, generator in the engine bay. The system also has a fail-safe switch so you can revert back to petrol at any time should you need to!

I don't want to patent it, if it is usable to anyone I'm only too glad to send it to anyone who wants a copy of the file I first looked at! The original idea isn't mine, I have only tried to improve on an existing system. Transportation is a right, not a privilege. Why limit this system to only those who could afford it? I don't believe that it's my right to do so, nor anyone else's.

OK, rant over :-#
greglebon

Post by greglebon »

Jesus...talk about conspiracy theory..!! :roll:

Nev...I did post a long reply this morning, did I not..?

I'm not dreaming, am I..?

I also sent a PM, which you prob did not get?
I'll send another.....

Then I saw this: http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=92081

Coincidence, that as soon as anyone talks about water powered vehicles, strange things start happening..!! :lol:

Return to “Modifications”