[Mk2] [Turbo] How much fuel do you use?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Steve-O 2007

[Mk2] [Turbo] How much fuel do you use?

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

Was just wondering how much fuel others are using as mine seems to be just drinking it!!

I put £20 in the other day and it took it to half a tank from near empty and after 40 miles I have used over 1/4 of a tank.

Is it because im addicted to hearing the turbo spooling up most of the time? Or could it just be because Im stopping and starting all the time in traffic in town?

I have a Rev2 Turbo with a XS Dump valve fitted but I dont think this is the problem (I dont realy hit enough boost to make it dump much / any air out)

Thanks
Morth666

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] How much fuel do you use?

Post by Morth666 »

Unfortunately they do drink the petrol especially when you use the turbo. Practicaly see it drop on boost :shock:

Town driving doesnt help either
2Crooky

Post by 2Crooky »

I get 300 miles to a tank with mixed driving....

Short journeys kill your fuel life though :(

If i run to the light and put £10 in, sometimes i have used that in 2 10 mile trips!!!!

Always seems to be the last 1/4 tank that just hoovers!!
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

you will learn how your fuel gauge works over time...it may go down hardly any with the use of £10 petrol then go down a quarter on the next fiver....

motorway....32 mpg
cold starts....15-17 mpg
gunning it...10 mpg
town driving....15-20 mpg
mixed...your guess will be as good as mine, over time you will form your own opinion :-k
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

ah phew, so my fuel usage seems right then.

gonna have a go driving without hitting boost on my next fill up. (but its gonna be hard )

How much is a full tank in one of these? Put £40 in it the other day and took it to nearly full on the guage but it was gone within 100miles (about 70 miles of country road use up and down hills and having to slow right down to 2nd / 3rd for corners etc and the rest used in town)

Im not too bothered about the fuel useage, was more worried incase something was wrong making it use this much.
robbie_742003

Post by robbie_742003 »

Steve-O 2007 wrote:

How much is a full tank in one of these?

Well, i can get £50 in of the V power stuff at around £1.10 per litre, i'm sure there is probably still a fiver or so in there as the light comes on quite early. :thumleft:
dawolf

Post by dawolf »

I drive mine fairly hard when warmed up. I get around 45 miles to a tenner which works out to roughly 200 miles to a full tank (never filled it though).
irish_dan

Post by irish_dan »

I get 450-480km to a tank which isn't that bad really.....for a 2 litre turbo.....
TUBBY-DEUCE

Post by TUBBY-DEUCE »

id say 200-250 miles to a tank, thats what i get anyway

lets face it its hard not to let to turbo spool up from time to time
-:[KM]:-

Post by -:[KM]:- »

Just got over 280 miles on the last fill-up... with PLENTY boosting and numerous cold starts.

Yay for the Link G3!!! Mapping from Ryan 2Bar.. :thumleft:
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

2bornot2b wrote:id say 200-250 miles to a tank, thats what i get anyway

lets face it its hard not to let to turbo spool up from time to time

I know. You want to go slow but you just cant!! Like today I said Im not going to use any boost (within reason) but when I got home and checked the Apexi SAFC it said I hit a max of 6753rpm so that plan didnt go very well :mrgreen:

Just got some NGK Iridium Plugs, New Dis. Cap and New Rotor arm so will fit these on the weekend and see what happens.

When you say cold starts do you mean that extreme lag that you get for the first few mins of running?
SW20Paul

Post by SW20Paul »

Put the standard BOV back on that will make it better :thumleft:
jont

Post by jont »

Steve-O 2007 wrote:How much is a full tank in one of these?
IIRC a full tank is 55 litres. My fuel light comes on with about 10l left.

As for MPG I'd agree with mrtee. I've had nearly 35 on a m'way run, typically get around 27 day-to-day. Low 20s on a blast, and under 10 is often reported on track. I try and avoid town driving as much as possible. But again the rev 1/2s often seem to get much worse figures than the rev 3.
-:[KM]:-

Post by -:[KM]:- »

Steve-O 2007 wrote:When you say cold starts do you mean that extreme lag that you get for the first few mins of running?

No... I mean the first start-up of the day when the engine is cold. It uses more petrol as the 5th injector is active.
L0rdMike

Post by L0rdMike »

I get about 250miles from 45L
Whippett

Post by Whippett »

I probably do more miles in an MR2 than anyone on here! 25,000+ per year (...yes, I am crazy!)

Totally stock Rev2, I'm doing 550 miles a week. I fill up 2-3 per week, to fill the tank cost between £53 and £57 each time. (£57 being the most i've ever spent to fill the tank)

I get between 230 and 270 miles per tank. I do 100+ miles a day, mostly motorway, and TBH I do not drive economically.

Lose the dump valve, it may run fine but they do not work well with an air-flow meter and will cause ti to over fuel. Plus, if you're not really boosting it enough to vent, why have it?

When my other MR2 had the Rev3 conversion, the fuel economy showed an instant improvement. (First tank was an easy 300 miles+) When I get it back it will have a link G3 so I'm looking forward to the even further improved economy.

It's a 2 litre turbo, and super-unleaded is costing well over £1 per litre, if you're concerned about your MPG, you're in the wrong car dude! :mrgreen:
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

Whippett wrote:
Totally stock Rev2, I'm doing 550 miles a week. I fill up 2-3 per week, to fill the tank cost between £53 and £57 each time

:shock: :shock: :shock:

that = £6K + a year on fuel. Been a reliable car for you though :D

But, yeah - put the stock BOV back on.
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

ok going to get hold of a stock dv to put on and see what happens untill I do the rev3 conversion to remove the AFM (then it shouldnt affect fuel usage if I fit the aftermarket one again should it?)

Im not bothered about the fuel usage was just interested in how many miles others get
Whippett

Post by Whippett »

Once you do the Rev3 Conversion you'll be using a MAP sensor so a vent-to-astmosphere BOV will be fine, you'll also see a better return on your MPG. :mrgreen:
dawolf

Post by dawolf »

Hmm, I find it hard to believe even rev 3's can get 300 miles to a tank. You'd have to pretty much not boost at all. Like I say I get 200-220 miles with mixed driving (boosting on clear roads).

Whippet, I do about 300 miles a week which I thought was a lot but that's nothing compared to you. Lol. Buy some shares in Shell mate.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”