[Mk2] [Turbo] tips when reinstalling turbo/mainfold/timing belt/inlet manifold and head???

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jimGTS

[Mk2] [Turbo] tips when reinstalling turbo/mainfold/timing belt/inlet manifold and head???

Post by jimGTS »

i remember luke aka skywalker mentioning before i start the car to disconnect the coil lead on the dissy, so the turbo sees some oil pressure before starting properly after its been taken off.....

are there any other tips.....????

i know ive got to time it up, check for oil and coolent leaks all at the same time somehow once its started....

can i time up the car on a cold engine on the power FC?? or should i put the rev3 ecu back on, let it warm up, then bridge the terminals and set the timing...???

any tips for completely emptying the car of coolent before i fill it back up with new stuff?
how do i get the old crap out of the coolent expansion tank??

cheers
jimGTS

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] tips when reinstalling turbo/mainfold/timing belt/inlet manifold and head???

Post by jimGTS »

bump
nisnos

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] tips when reinstalling turbo/mainfold/timing belt/inlet manifold and head???

Post by nisnos »

jim
hope your well

never time your cams according to the ecu!!!

cams MUST only be dialled mechanically.

set your crank tdc and then find the cam tdc.

then adjust the cams as per manufacturers spec.

this takes some time and the use of proper dial gauges.

be patient jim and take your time.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

nisnos wrote:jim
hope your well

never time your cams according to the ecu!!!

cams MUST only be dialled mechanically.

set your crank tdc and then find the cam tdc.

then adjust the cams as per manufacturers spec.

this takes some time and the use of proper dial gauges.

be patient jim and take your time.

ay??? first time ive ever heard of having to do this!!
when the head was taken off, crank was tdc (but i have moved this around to clean the pistons), the head exhaust cam and inlet cam are exactly where there were when the head came off....cams were removed, full clean up of the head was done by nathan at century motorsport....
isnt it just a case of popping it back on?
noones mentioned this before, and its not even mentioned in the bgb when taking off the head!
Ed

Post by Ed »

If you are using standard cams and cam gears then you will not need to worry about dialling in the cams because this is not possible with the standard items. In which case just put the head back on the block and make sure the timing belt marks all line up correctly when putting the timing belt back on and Bob's your uncle.

If however you have aftermarket cams then you should have also bought adjustable cam gears and should dial in the cams before starting the engine.

HTH Ed
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Ed wrote:If you are using standard cams and cam gears then you will not need to worry about dialling in the cams because this is not possible with the standard items. In which case just put the head back on the block and make sure the timing belt marks all line up correctly when putting the timing belt back on and Bob's your uncle.

If however you have aftermarket cams then you should have also bought adjustable cam gears and should dial in the cams before starting the engine.

HTH Ed

well a rev3 inlet cam went on, but thats still a stock cam....
a new cambelt is going on btw.....
3sgte

Post by 3sgte »

Jim, Don't get too confused about cam timing ,i think dave misread your original post.i believe you were more concerened about ignition timing

Cam timing is hard to get wrong with stock cams and oem cam gears .
when the exhaust cam is in and has the mark on the pulley upright ,the no1 cam lobe will be pointing toward the exhaust manifold side and . Just check that the inlet no1 cam points in the opposite direction at the same pointing toward the inlet manifold when the pulley mark is pointing upwards.if you had the dowel in wrong then it would be very apparantly wrong.

As for ignition timing i would go with your std ecu, warm it up ,and then set timing to 10degrees :thumleft:
Last edited by 3sgte on Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3sgte

Post by 3sgte »

just trawled your removal post found this picture
as long as the cams look like this when the marks are poining up you should be fine on oem cam gears

jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

what marks should be pointing up??
you mean the standard marks on the cams?? am sure nathan knows what hes doing with all of this...
i just thought i shouldnt be touching those hense my confusion above...

thing is ill be starting the beast up on my own, as luke will only be round to help with a new timing belt, put the head and turbo back in, rest is up to me...

ps, inlet cam is very slightly to the right..like this...so long as both the camshafts and cams look like this im fine im sure?

just a bit concerned about checking for oil leaks, correct amount of coolent before i go warming up the car properly to do the ig. timing...as id hate for it to be miles out before it warms up....if the car bloody starts that is! gulp!
just wondered whether there should be anything else i should be doing, not doing when putting this lot back together.
not free to give us a hand are you

:mrgreen:
3sgte

Post by 3sgte »

that pic shows one of the cams is not at tdc position .you can see where the marks are there is a dab of white paint on the tooth which should be pointing upwards .luke will suss that out when he puts the belt on.

When is the ETA for starting it up :?: .Bleeding the coolant is not a difficult job. i have done about 6 different MR2's and the only ones which didn't bleed up EASILY had problems
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

3sgte wrote:that pic shows one of the cams is not at tdc position .you can see where the marks are there is a dab of white paint on the tooth which should be pointing upwards .luke will suss that out when he puts the belt on.

When is the ETA for starting it up :?: .Bleeding the coolant is not a difficult job. i have done about 6 different MR2's and the only ones which didn't bleed up EASILY had problems

mmm, thats how the head has been given back to me as well tho, the inlet cam slightly to the right...i asked nathan and he said it was fine..then again i think he was talking about the dissy teeth, not the cam, got a bit confusing...

the white marks have disappeared on the backing plate, but still on the cams....

would this sort of out-age, be robbing me of power? as thats how it looked when we removed the head...ETA possibly this or next weekend...
i think the block face is ok....i havent managed to get a skimmed looked to it, still slight fade of the old gasket, but it is really smooth to the touch....i need some pics to show really...
3sgte

Post by 3sgte »

the inlet cam will need to be set to the top when the belt is installed ,it has been pushed round by some of the valvesprings pushing on cam lobes .nothing to worry about.
all you need to make sure when th ebelt has been installed, turn the engine over several times and make sure all the timing marks on the 2 cam sprockets ,and the crank pulley line up pukka .
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

3sgte wrote:the inlet cam will need to be set to the top when the belt is installed ,it has been pushed round by some of the valvesprings pushing on cam lobes .nothing to worry about.
all you need to make sure when th ebelt has been installed, turn the engine over several times and make sure all the timing marks on the 2 cam sprockets ,and the crank pulley line up pukka .

so make sure the tops of the cams remain the same after a few runs...
crank pully, you mean that turn crank to 0tbc and see if cams still line up to the top?
cam you move the crank and cams at the same time..if they were out, id asume the belt would need to cme back off?
3sgte

Post by 3sgte »

Yes correct. the cams both need to be lined up with their marks with the crank at 0 degrees .part of the procedure for fitting the cambelt is to apply tension to the belt manually, then turn the engine over twice (2x engine revolutions = 1 x cam revolution. then recheck the marks all still line up. then the tensioner is fitted ,and the belt is fitted .i always just to satisfy myself then turn the engine over 2 more times (1x cam revolution) just to recheck that all is good before fitting all the cam covers back on and pushing the crankpulley back on the crankshaft .But Luke will see to all of this so no need for you to worry
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

when you mean turn the engine over, you mean just turn the crank manually? not actually start the car, lol...that nearly confused me, but i get it now.....
so it doesnt matter that i wont have all the IM, injectors installed, not part of the process correct?
3sgte

Post by 3sgte »

yeah thats right
dont start it yet lol
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

ok cool, so cam check, coil off when starting for first time so turbo get oil pressure..
thats probably it then.
craig_mr2_mk1

Post by craig_mr2_mk1 »

when your ready to get the oil pressure up, i unplug the coil lead from dizzy and remove all 4 plugs and crank it over till the oil pressure light on the dash goes out. then put the plugs in and reconnect the lead on the dizzy and away u go.
Thats the way i do it anyway.
Craig.
3sgte

Post by 3sgte »

i wouldn't even bother faffing about doing all that TBH ,the engine runing will get oil up to the turbo /head in milliseconds
just pour a load of oil over the cams/ shims etc before you put the cam cover on ,it will be ok :thumleft:

Return to “Mechanical”