[Mk2] [Turbo] Arc super box induction fitted today / induction kit question

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

alan1150

[Mk2] [Turbo] Arc super box induction fitted today / induction kit question

Post by alan1150 »

My arc induction box arrived yesterday all the way from japan, cost £200 from nengun performance. It looks the biz now its fitted and would have been a quick install apart from having to re-position my alarm which sat just behind the old filter housing.
Regarding induction kits in general has anyone noticed any difference when out driving i.e more power.
Cuz only noticable difference i found is the sound of the turbo spinning up is pretty loud. And the way my back aches from leaning over engine bay for 1hr 1/2.
If anyone else gets an arc i found the best way of mounting the sensor thingy was to use one of the old rubbers off original air filter and press this into the hole and push fit the sensor into this, works lovely.
Will have to get some pics to follow shortly.
alan1150

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Arc super box induction fitted today / induction kit question

Post by alan1150 »

A couple of pics of my new induction box :

Looking in thro' the side vent
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

I think uprating your induction kit is a good idea (especially to an ARC as it has a large filter area and a cold air box), but may not actually gain you that much on a turbo car. The ARC should improve flow a bit, but not to a noticeable amount.

Mine came into the UK with a brand new looking ARC already fitted so I was well chuffed.

I recently fitted an ARC intercooler and even though the stock ECU is keeping boost limited to 13psi, you can feel a difference.
alan1150

Post by alan1150 »

Intercooler was gonna be my next mod, gonna go for a berk to match my exhaust. Just need to save up some pennies first.
Was bit dis-appointed at first after fitting but i do like the sound it makes, is gonna make changing the filter at service time a bit more of a job thou.
tubby_tony

Post by tubby_tony »

If you were not using the recirc dump valve then you can get the Arc box alot further into the corner so that it is completely covering the side inlet with a few mods. The bracket in the top right corner of your image needs to be straightened out and then a twist put into it. The bracket on the left side of your image does not get used. The bracket underneath needs to be straightened out a bit so that the angle is not so acute. The secret is then to turn the hard pipe around so that the recirc inlet is pointing to the passengers side of the car. This gives you more manouvrability of the box due to the different side lengths on this angled hard pipe.

Link here

Excuse the plastic ties holding the silicone hose in place. The clamps arrived today.
Last edited by tubby_tony on Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:27 pm, edited 6 times in total.
alan1150

Post by alan1150 »

Your one does look like its postioned better, i might give it a go once my back ache calms down.
zebidi

Post by zebidi »

Excellent bit of kit I have oneon mine. In a turbo car changing the airbox should gain you around 5bhp. (I'm not a Max Flower reader by the way)

I've noticed with the ARC box that the throttle response is quicker as what the ARC box does is it keeps air within the box ready for as soon as the throttle is open just a little it uses the stoed air that is in there (Kept cool by the alloy box of course)

It's one of the mods im the most chuffed about to be honest.

I also understand the back pain, its a big box and a pain to fit.
buish

Post by buish »

i got an ARC too, but mine is gen2. first time installing it took me couple hours trying to figure out where everything went. yeah, changing the filter takes awhile, but i don't drive the car much, so i don't really change it often.

zebidi

Post by zebidi »

Where do you get the filters form? I havent changed mine yet but im sure that you can wash them.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Arc,love them!!! :thumleft:
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

zebidi wrote:Where do you get the filters form? I havent changed mine yet but im sure that you can wash them.

Sumo Power.
The old ones were pleated paper, so not washable, but the new ones are foam and so are I believe.
buish

Post by buish »

zebidi wrote:Where do you get the filters form? I havent changed mine yet but im sure that you can wash them.

ARC filters are expensive. you can use stock 93+ rx7 turbo air filters. they do work. couple years ago, i took the arc filter measurements and cross reference to the closest fit air filter that match. i use a NAPA brand rx7 filter on my car. cost me $12 USD.
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

buish wrote:

ARC filters are expensive. you can use stock 93+ rx7 turbo air filters. they do work. couple years ago, i took the arc filter measurements and cross reference to the closest fit air filter that match. i use a NAPA brand rx7 filter on my car. cost me $12 USD.

What type of filter is the RX7 one? Paper or foam?
mr2neil

Post by mr2neil »

had an arc on when i bought mine, took ages to source a replacement filter ended up costing 85 quid from somewhere in uk, changed the filter and had a huge difference in noise and good difference in response, i got another one from nengun for around 47 quid i think, but if u can clean the foam ones :oops: then i have a spare brand new one u can have cheap :thumleft:
zebidi

Post by zebidi »

buish wrote:

Thats sexual :P
buish

Post by buish »

mattcambs wrote:
buish wrote:

What type of filter is the RX7 one? Paper or foam?

not sure. the NAPA brand(its an auto chain store here in the USA) was a paper with what looked like the k&n oil spread on it. just get any air filter for the 93+ rx7 turbo that fits in their stock airbox.

if you want foam, i guess the HKS is foam. not sure if the picture is actual or not.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-HKS- ... enameZWDVW
if you want paper, this should be what most of the filters are.

Return to “Modifications”