[All] [Turbo] De-Cat Side Effects

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Scotster

[All] [Turbo] De-Cat Side Effects

Post by Scotster »

Ello folks,

Got my De-Cat pipe fitted yesterday and i've noticed a few things since. I'm just wondering if the last one is normal.

Firstly, when the turbo spools now its like a boot up the rear end which is absolutely fantastic. I never thought in a month of Sundays that there would be such a difference lower down the rev's.

Secondly, where on earth did that noise come from. My exhaust wasn't exactly the quietest before the de-cat but now??? Roarrrrrrrrr. Was in the carpark last night and one of the guys thought a spitfire was landing.

Great stuff so far, now onto my concern. I'm pretty sure this is perfectly normal but i just want to make sure. The smell of exhaust fumes now is absolutely unbelievable. It almost smells like the fuel is just trickling out of it. Is this normal? I expected there to be a bit of a difference but not for it to be quite as strong as it is.

Oh, just remembered one other thing. I reckon my intake temps are getting pretty high because the IC fan isn't working. After a bit of a drive the light comes on my dash warning me the IC fan isn't working but last night, just before the light, i got some major holding back from the engine. I have never noticed it before the de-cat so i wondered if having it meant the high intake temps are now even higher causing the ECU to hold the car right back. Last night in the carpark the car would stop revving around 6-6.5k (i just checked it in neutral to see, it didn't actually stop it just didn't like it, kinda chugged, and i didn't want to push it.). Checked it this morning after warming it up and it flew round to 7.5ish but just before i got home the car was holding right back as soon as boost came on. It was almost kangarooing above 3k revs so i held right back with it. Was only for a hundred meters or so and as soon as i stopped the car the little light came on again so i guessed it was down to the intake temps.

Roll on chargecooler.

Scott =op

Its this one Image
buish

Re: [All] [Turbo] De-Cat Side Effects

Post by buish »

i think the catalytic converter breaks down the harmful compounds. without it, that's what you smell.
IronMike

Post by IronMike »

mate what downpipe you get and who fitted it if you dont mind me asking? 8)
Scotster

Post by Scotster »

IronMike wrote:mate what downpipe you get and who fitted it if you dont mind me asking? 8)

Fleebay special for 140inc delivery and the Garage in Wishaw fitted it. Think they took around 3 hours for it.

Scott =op
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

I'm no expert, but your IC fan problem sounds like it is un-related to you fitting a down pipe. Check fuse?
Scotster

Post by Scotster »

mattcambs wrote:I'm no expert, but your IC fan problem sounds like it is un-related to you fitting a down pipe. Check fuse?

Oh yeah sorry, its nothing to do with the downpipe i just mentioned it while posting lol. Its been like that for ages and i just want to get a handle on it. Tried the fuse and the relay with no joy.

Cheers

Scott =op
rookie-racer

Post by rookie-racer »

scott, you will probably find that you are running a few pun of boost more han youu wee before.

i am residing in a neurological ward tonight so bear with me....

however bbecause you have remvoced the rstriction from the exhaust gas going to the turbo, i gets theregoing faster, turning the turbine faster making it push more boost at the mainfold.....

pascals law... pressure heat etc.... meaning intake temps will be up... causing ecu t panic and revert toSAFE MODE
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

For the IC fan, unplug the black sensor on the underside of your engine lid to see if its the sensor that's gone. Mine did the same thing so I just unplugged it. It now spins up as soon as you start the car up which is safer anyway.
Scotster

Post by Scotster »

mr2nut123 wrote:For the IC fan, unplug the black sensor on the underside of your engine lid to see if its the sensor that's gone. Mine did the same thing so I just unplugged it. It now spins up as soon as you start the car up which is safer anyway.

I tried that, tried the fuse and the relay too. Think its the controller thats away.

Scott =op

Return to “Modifications”