[Mk2] [Turbo] Clutch problem? I assume

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

unyonion

[Mk2] [Turbo] Clutch problem? I assume

Post by unyonion »

Ok I was pulling onto the M6 (J6 north for reference) in 3rd booted it up to about 6k then clutch down to change gear moved gear lever and it wouldn't go into gear.

Clutch pedal 'feel' was not there and it wouldnt go into gear,
I pulled over thinking the clutch fluid may have overheated (used to lots in my old 2 and was told this could be a reason).

Clutch pedal kinda stuck to the floor and I had to 'pull' it up again. anyway couldnt select gears with car running, turned it off selected 1st gear clutch down tried to start and I kangarooed forward using the starter motor.
The car went fine once in gear but I only tried 1st to pull away.

Anyway let the car cool down for 40 mins while waiting for the AA guy and still had no feel at all in the clutch. I then tried it in gear and started it didn't pull forward but grinded? so quickly turned engine off and thought of the damage :cry:

Can anyone give me an idea as to the possible cause? figured couldnt be driveshafts etc. as ran ok when in gear. I didn't think the car would still move in gear if the clutch was knackered?

Sorry for the long message guys

Thanks Mark.
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Clutch problem? I assume

Post by Martin F »

sounds as if the clutch itself is fine but youve lost the pressure between the clutch pedal and the clutch itself...could be a fluid leak somewhere or air in the system...that area would be my first port of call :thumleft:
rmarr1980

Post by rmarr1980 »

Had this problem with mine clutch pedal sticks to the floor atc replacde your clutch fluid if its all black then its full of crap.

If it happens again the replace your master cylinder as that is what will make your clutch sit on the floor when you depress it!!

:thumleft:

HTH
unyonion

Post by unyonion »

Im just a bit pi$$ed off as there was NO warning whatsoever! the clutch has only done 8K since replacing (guarantee 20K!) hasn't slipped or had ANY problems at all.

Oh well I'll try replacing the fluid etc. at the weekend, No Santa Pod for me ](*,) bu88er!

Cheers for the ideas Mark
rmarr1980

Post by rmarr1980 »

Your clutch will be fine its just pressure loss between your pedal and the release bearing hence pedal on the floor! Replace your fluid and bleed it well and your clutch will come back but it sound like the seals in the master cylinder have split or worn out so replace master cylinder which is not a bad job to do mate!!

Santa Pod is still on the cards for you yet. :thumleft:
JasonB

Post by JasonB »

After a longwinded and expensive engine rebuild mine is showing similar symptoms.
Went to bleed the clutch on the weekend and the pedal just sprang to the floor like it was on elastic.
Pulled it up and again it jumped right up. And so on for ages with no pressure ever building up
I know I've lost pressure as everything's been disconnected for ages. But even when bleeding there is very little effort in the system to push through the air bubbles.
My fluid is murky and black and I just can't get any pressure.
reckon the master cylinder seals have gone?
Do they dry out if left unused with low fluid level for 18 months?
Is there a master cylinder rebuild kit available??

JB
Fred

Post by Fred »

Just had this kind of problem myself , pedal would go to the floor , I could pump it up by hand and get some pressure but it would leak away again . No fluid leaks were visible at the master or slave cylinder so I guessed the master had failed internally .
£100 for a new master cylinder and it was sorted , flushed the fluid out too as it was black , probly caused the failure :oops: .
unyonion

Post by unyonion »

Ok so put on a new master cylinder, pumped it up and bled. Clutch pedal feels fine now. So started the car, clutch down but it still wouldn't go into gear!

I opened the door to listen for ay noises; when the clutch is depessed after 0.5 seconds or so it starts to make a faint rattling noise!

I am assuming that my orginal idea of knackering the clutch is now correct
If I put it in gear then start the car it bumps forward and runs, if I then put the clutch down it will stop me moving but makes the rattling noise. But it won't let me put it into gear again.

Help again please. Is my release bearing rattling around or something?

Thanks Mark
unyonion

Post by unyonion »

Ok so clutch is gone! ](*,) confirmed!

Right so my question is which clutch do I get? I have never dyno'd my car so have no solid figures for what it is pumping out.

I have a Sard K27 turbo kit (tubular manifold, ex wastegate n 3" down pipe) running through a greddy power extreme zorst. I have a greddy I/C with manual boost controller set at 1bar.

Now I am assuming that I am around the 300 bhp but if I was aiming for around 350-380bhp (ob with other supporting mods) what kind of torque figures would I be gettting? I.e. will I need a 390ft/lbs clutch, 450, 525 etc.? I was guessing 400-450 would be ok and then what manufacturer would peeps recommend?

Also on the flywheel front - the fidanza is 55% lighter than OEM and the Chromology is 5.5kgs lighter than OEM but what weight is the OEM to start with please? + recommendations

Thanks Mark
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

im sorry to hear that about your clutch mate :(

if the fidanza is 55% lighter then how heavy is it(the fidanza) and then work it out from there :-k
ive been trying to find out how heavy the standard flywheel is too ](*,)

rps have a proven record...try tbdevelopements website :thumleft:
mikey2

Post by mikey2 »

As far as i know and remember the standard fly wheel is 11kgs.

going back to the original problem, have you got the box off? i ask cos i had a very similar problem, it turned out to be the release bearing that failed, it ended up on the wrong side of the release fork!!!! but when i rebuilt it the clutch plate was sticking to the flywheel, so i couldnt get it into gear or change gear when running, no probs when stopped. i ended up driving it in first and braking ( not by choice!!!) and that released the plate. the squeeking is the release bearing as it presses on the springs most likely, if you have the box off then try rebuilding it, might sort your problem.

mike
unyonion

Post by unyonion »

Ok so on the Flywheel side from my working out and (thanks Mikey) it stands as:

Standard OEM Flywheel = 11kgs
Fidanza (55% lighter) = 4.95kgs = £260
Chromology (5.5kg less than OEM) = 5.5kgs = £190

Both from GTS Chris, I know which I will go for

And with regards to the box I'm a little concered as to the weight of the box, how to do it etc. Putting in a new turbo, manifold I can do but under the car on Axle stands (as cannot drive up the ramps ](*,) ) with the engine hanging off a mount? I don't think I want to really. Unless someone fancies giving me a hand? :thumleft:

Cheers Mark

Return to “Mechanical”