[Mk2] [Turbo] Lexus IS300 brake calipers

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

RedWitch

[Mk2] [Turbo] Lexus IS300 brake calipers

Post by RedWitch »

One of my front calipers seized up recently and I'd been quoted some silly prices for refurbing which would also mean sending the calipers away and being car-less for a while.

I'd replaced the standard brakes on my IS300 with a huge AP Racing 6-pot kit, so thought I'd try the standard IS300 brakes on the MR2.

The torque plate didn't fit, but the IS300 caliper block was a perfect straight fit - but still needs MR2 pads.

The stopping power is truely AWESOME!!!!! :thumleft:

Here's the pics:

EarL

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Lexus IS300 brake calipers

Post by EarL »

Excellent mod mate. Well done. :thumleft:
Sable Grey 2004 MkIII Roadster

Once an MR2 owner, ALWAYS an MR2 owner!
Rob

Post by Rob »

WOW! Care to offer any other details / pics?

Whats the torque plate part? I have overhauled my brakes before (Rev2) but im not up on the component names.

My brakes have always been disappointing so changing them would be great!
JasonB

Post by JasonB »

My wife has an is200 which I've always considered to have excellent brakes. I bought a set of Lexus iS200 calipers about a year ago thinking they'd be great on the MR2. Unfortunately I've not had the time to mess around with nthem.

Do you know if the 200's and 300's use the same calipers??
Also what's the torque plate you describe?? Is this the carrier that bolts to the hub??

I take it you're still using the MR2 discs or did you get the Lexus ones?

Please supply a few details on this as I can't wait to have a crack at this mod.

JB
MarcC

Post by MarcC »

i know they use the same brake pads so I should assume they have the same caliper. These seem to be the same for the GS models 98-04 aswell :thumleft:
Ja99a

Bracke Mod

Post by Ja99a »

This sounds like just the ticket for me to fix my pulling brakes and get an upgrade too.

Its a funny situation usually we get loads of text and no pictures this time we have loads of pictures and hardly any information. PML

I would also like to know if the IS200 caliper are the same, we have much more chance of getting these. Hellllppppppp :)
cantfindausername

Post by cantfindausername »

What is the difference in piston diameter of the IS300 and MR2 calipers?
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
RedWitch

Post by RedWitch »

The calipers on the IS200/IS300/Altezza/GS300Mk1 are all the same, so either will fit.

I'm not sure on the diameter of the twin pots on the IS calipers, but there is more travel on the brake pedal which suggests they are considerably bigger than the MR2's.

Ypu'll need to use MR2 size brake pads though as the IS pads are a slightly larger shape and obstruct on the torque assembly (that's the part which bolts onto the hub with 2 x 17mm bolts that are always seized tight)

And yes, I'm still using MR2 discs, the only upgrade here was to go for a slotted set.
Ian Geary

Post by Ian Geary »

so the torque plate is what some people are describing as the caliper carrier.

You used the MR2 stock carrier, MR2 pads, MR2 discs, and just bolt on the IS300 caliper?

Is this using the sliding bolts from the MR2 caliper, or do you need the lexus carrier to caliper bolts?

I recall these bolts have rubber gaitors on to prevent them (not very sucessfully) from getting seized up.

Thanks

Ian
nisnos

Post by nisnos »

have you done front AND rear or just front?
RedWitch

Post by RedWitch »

Ian Geary wrote:so the torque plate is what some people are describing as the caliper carrier.

You used the MR2 stock carrier, MR2 pads, MR2 discs, and just bolt on the IS300 caliper?

Is this using the sliding bolts from the MR2 caliper, or do you need the lexus carrier to caliper bolts?

I recall these bolts have rubber gaitors on to prevent them (not very sucessfully) from getting seized up.

Thanks

Ian

Simple - just a straight swap / bolt on using the MR2 bolts!
RedWitch

Post by RedWitch »

nisnos wrote:have you done front AND rear or just front?

Only the front. The IS rear caliper doesn't look a whole load bigger than the stock MR2 but I'll have a look.
JasonB

Post by JasonB »

One last question.

Does the Lexus caliper fit over the std. discs and allow the std. Toyota 15" wheel to be fitted without any clearance problems??

JB.
RedWitch

Post by RedWitch »

Sorry but can't comment on the stock 15's.......I have a 16" x 7" at the front and there is PLENTY of clearence.

And Yes, the calipers fit the standard MR2 discs (but must use MR2 pads, not IS pads)
Kenny-Boost

Post by Kenny-Boost »

hi sorry i'm a little daft when it comes to brakes....

but your running an MR2 disk and also MR2 pads? its just the calipers you have changed? (am i right so far?)

What is the gain if they lexus caliper and MR2 caliper are both twin pots?

Thanks
RedWitch

Post by RedWitch »

Yes, the MR2 calipers were replaced with the IS calipers - which have much bigger pistons...more stopping power

The discs and pads (which were worn anyway) were replaced with grooved MR2 discs and Red Stuff MR2 pads
Kenny-Boost

Post by Kenny-Boost »

and whats required to fit these to the car?

will this mess up the brake bias then? i worry about messing up my cars breaking and handling a lot lol :D
JasonB

Post by JasonB »

cantfindausername wrote:What is the difference in piston diameter of the IS300 and MR2 calipers?

Not sure about the MR2 piston dia. but I measured the pistons on a set of iS200 calipers last night and they are 44.5mm.

JB
Kenny-Boost

Post by Kenny-Boost »

anyone have a set of MR2 calipers sitting off their car to see what size they are?
JasonB

Post by JasonB »

OK, I had a go at checking this out last night.

I can confirm that the Lexus calipers fit directly onto the MR2 caliper carrier / torque plate / the bit that bolts to the hub with no issues.

With no brake pads in place the std. 15" alloy (flat face spokes as fitted to the rev.2 on) went over the caliper and I heard a slight rubbing when the wheel was turned.
Removing the wheel I could see where it had rubbed. The wheel has a series of raised edges on the insdie and one was catching a part of the caliper. A Dremel removed less than 1.0mm and the wheel was able to turn with no rubbing.

I then fitted the (newish) brake pads and bolted everything up. The wheel was locked solid.
I could see that the outer pad was in contact with the brake disk and removing the one pad made evrything OK again.
When I get some more time I'll check that the Lexus caliper pistons are fully retracted. The disk is also a bit rusty as the cars been stood for about 18months so I'll clean that up.

Let you know how it goes.

JB

Return to “Mechanical”