[Mk2] [Turbo] Power Steering

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

toxo
IMOC Committee

[Mk2] [Turbo] Power Steering

Post by toxo »

Not sure whether this should be in Mechanical or Electrical - I guess the answer to the problem will decide!

First some background. About 8 months ago I parked my car in a hedge, which had hidden about its person a rather thick oak fence with concrete posts in it. After picking up the various pieces of fibreglass and apologising profusely to said hedge's owner (£700 worth of sodding shrubbery and oak panels!), I drove my car home very slowly and carefully, watching out to see if any bits fell off in the process. None did! I have spent the last few months (on a very shoestring budget) pieceing the car back together again, and learning a lot! It really is amazing the extent to which a good body shop can repair fibreglass kits.

Most things have been very easily resolved, thanks largely to the sheer amount of technical information and helpful people to be found here on IMOC UK. However one thing is still bugging me. Ever since the crash, when I first turn the ignition on, the power steering motor starts whining. A touch of the steering wheel stops the whine. I am presuming the power steering motor is causing the whine, it's coming from that area of the frunk and whatever is making the noise is clearly linked to the steering wheel. This leads me neatly to the crux of the problem; my power steering doesn't work. At all, not while stationery, not while in motion. I've checked obvious things like the fuses, as much wiring as I can find that could have been cut in the incident, etc. Tonight I am going to check for ECU codes as well, as it is clearly now driving weather!!

It is quite possible, in fact I'm almost convinced of it, that the wheel alignment is way out following the crash. A laser alignment session is on my list of things to do. The only other thing I can think of that's relevant is that I have an aftermarket TOAD alarm fitted, which will obviously do things to the electrics (but shouldn't really touch the PAS).
Last edited by toxo on Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Power Steering

Post by toxo »

Just to add a bit more detail - I have tonight checked for ECU error codes and there were none. I also tracked down the noise and it's definately coming from the motor to the left of the battery, mounted in the floor. I can't get under it until Friday to take a look at the other side, but that's my next plan. I checked both the metal PAS ECU-type box and the rubber-shielded one that are to the right of the battery and both seem fine, all wires connected and getting power. Checked power steering fluid level as well, all still seems to be there.

Out of interest, I can't find a fuse labeled power steering. Bizzarely I have a fuse in the ABS socket when as far as I'm aware the car doesn't have ABS, but I presume the PAS goes through an AM fuse?

Return to “Mechanical”