[Mk2 NA] Apexi induction fitting

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

JohnnyC

[Mk2 NA] Apexi induction fitting

Post by JohnnyC »

Simple question, do you remove the part of the original induction that sits right at the very back of the engine bay (right behind the passenger seat) - the big plastic part that feeds air into the original air filter box?

The Apexi instructions show this in the diagram, but all the text is in Japanese so I'm unsure whether it needs removing or not.

I guess it's personal preference, and eventually I'll be putting some sort of cold air feed from the side vent - but in the meantime what do the Apexi instructions say?

:-k
spindle

Re: [Mk2 NA] Apexi induction fitting

Post by spindle »

I removed all mine. Didn't see much point in it being there. i too intend to duct the air when i get a spare moment.
I love the noise from the apexi, especially with the t-bar panels out. :D
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

Yeah, think you're right, I'll do the same and remove it.

Looks to be very restrictive for when the car is in motion.
I can see it's benefit of when the car is stationary in traffic though - that thing holding cold air, completely sealed off from the hot engine bay air.
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

Well I just fitted it \:D/

Took a while (compared to the 10 minutes it took to fit an induction kit to the wifes FTO) - so much gubbins to remove!!

This is my very first 'performance' mod. I've never really understood why people mod their cars before, but the Lakes run last year was the turning point, hearing all those aftermarket exhausts (so justified being on car that's a sports car to begin with - Corsas aren't!!), and the wife getting an FTO with Mongoose exhaust was the nail in the coffin so to speak :lol:

Wasn't impressed when I started the car up, annoying whistle/screech at any revs below 1500. That soon disapeared though. Gave it some revs on the drive - errr nothing different :cry:

I'd heard they sound good at above 5K rpm...
Took it along the road, at as little as 2500rpm it roared - this is how my face looks now - :mrgreen:

Big thanks to Tim @ xxxx for supplying it at a good price :thumleft:
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

Couldn't resist a couple of pics...

Out with the old...

In with the new (and some re-used bits)...

Next step is to mesh side vent (drivers side is already has a mesh from standard), perhaps put some ducting to direct air directly to the air filter - or preferably replace the standard induction pipe & resonator box and have the filter closer to the rear corner of the engine bay.

Return to “Modifications”