Idling on an Auto N/A

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

si2040

Idling on an Auto N/A

Post by si2040 »

Guys

what should the car idle at on a N/A Auto. Then in drive?

Mine is 1000 in park and about 550 in drive. Does that look ok?

Also at times when I brake it feels like there is a lag in the gears shifting down any idea?
pnjmcc

Re: Idling on an Auto N/A

Post by pnjmcc »

Hi Si,

Not sure that mine is correct but it ticks over at about 850 whilst in Neutral / park

As for drive I am not really sure I think it drops to about 5-600 I will take it out for a spin at lunch and let you know

Regards
PaulM
92 G-Ltd.
waelwulfas

Post by waelwulfas »

si2040 wrote:

Also at times when I brake it feels like there is a lag in the gears shifting down any idea?

It may idle higher in P, try Neutral should be about 750-800, revs will drop if you hold in Drive on the footbrake as the gearbox is under load.
The ECU wont instantly drop down gears as you brake, hence that horrible sensation in an auto as you run into a fast bend in D of no brakes!! Check your kickdown works and that the gears change correctly up the box as you accelerate, remember the ECU adjusts continually so they won't always change at the same revs. Any concerns first point of inspection is the auto oil level, low oil causes most probs in the box.
pnjmcc

Post by pnjmcc »

OK mate,

Went home at lunch time to see what happens.

It ticks over on start up just above 1000 rpm (but I have seen this up at 1500 through the winter)

once warm that drops to around 7-800 rpm in P and then down to 4-600 rpm in D with the footbrake on.

The ECU wont instantly drop down gears as you brake, hence that horrible sensation in an auto as you run into a fast bend in D of no brakes!!

LOL yeap had that type of nervous moment myself, its better at engine braking when in "PWR" mode as when you lift off the engine will slow the car down, its also pretty good with the overdrive (OD) off as that will engine brake a bit too.

Just watch out for the odd "unexpected" gear change thought as mine has caught me out a couple of times when its dropped more gears than I thought it would or it hasn't dropped when I wanted it too !

HTH

Regards
PaulM
92 G-Ltd.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”