Tints = Disaster

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

heathy

Tints = Disaster

Post by heathy »

I have tried to tint my mr2 before and ended up in disaster, exactly the same happened when me and my dad tried to tint his 200sx.

Both times I said I would never try it again.

But I just can't afford the £300ish to get my windows done so I'm going to give it one last go.

Does anyone have any useful tips how to do it so I don't end up with a bin full of tint film for the third time.

matt_mr2t

Re: Tints = Disaster

Post by matt_mr2t »

Do them in a warm dry dust free environment. Make sure the windows are chemically clean using proper cleaners. Perhaps some prep wipes used before painting things.

I think the pro's use warm water with a little soap in so they can be slid across the window surface easily. I think you need to get perhaps a hair dryer and gently heat it up once applied as well.

TBH though it'll never look great compared to a professional job.
pete h

Post by pete h »

spray the window with soapy water first (not to soapy tho) put film on, work it into position, cut around the corners, water evaporates, film sticks.

Havent done it to car windows but to the windows at work, but i think there pretty much the same.

HTH

pete
Steve W2

Post by Steve W2 »

Or just spray your windows with paint and forget the soapy water :mrgreen:
heathy

Post by heathy »

Had disaster number three
DEFINATLY NEVER TRYING THAT AGAIN!!!
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Lol, surely just getting the rear 3 windows done would only cost about £100?
ginga

Post by ginga »

The trouble is you are trying to apply a flat film to a convex/concave window.... They need to be shrunk into place..

Fimmo over on OC sells pre shrunk and cut film for the mk2.
heathy

Post by heathy »

Someone has said they can do the rear window, two rear quarters, two side windows and t bar pannels for £100

Sounds good to me :D
si2040

Post by si2040 »

calll a professional. Dont waste money and time on something you need to b skilled for
Neil_turbo

Post by Neil_turbo »

remove the window and do it inside! This way you can do it comfortably with no wind! If you get any small bubbles after heating and squeegeeing (not spelt right) out willy a small hole with a scalpal and gently ease the air out - you will never know!
dan!!

tinting

Post by dan!! »

hey i did mine my self and they turned out ok ,wot i did was made paper templates of the windows first cut the film to fit the templates loads of soapy water a hot gun and a credit card later and hey presto there u go
Neil_turbo

Post by Neil_turbo »

:shock: :shock: :shock:

I typed willy a small hole and it now says willy :P

:-k
Neil_turbo

Post by Neil_turbo »

:shock: :shock: :shock:

I typed *p r i c k* a small hole and it now says willy

:P
Mikey P MR2

Post by Mikey P MR2 »

I tinted my back windows last week, also made paper templates. Unfortunately the film I used was crap as came from eBay for about £2.00 and was scratched before I put it on, however I did manage to get them on without bubbles or gaps and was quite impressed with my handy work so will defiantly have another go with better quality film. Its all about taking your time and lots of soapy water.

Return to “Modifications”