New mr2 owner

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Is the MR2 mk1 as good as a Lotus Elise for handling?

Yes Lotus did a great job with the mr2!
No votes
No Lotus used the mr2 as a proving ground
100%

Total votes: 4

L8ERS

New mr2 owner

Post by L8ERS »

collected it Tuesday. Real happy with it. However, it is not a motorway mile eater at all. Still need to get the windscreen seal sorted - will do tomorrow (any ideas how much to get the top rubber strip sorted?).

Takes a bit to get used to it but i enjoy it. It really does plaster a smile on your face! I'd recommend using a road angel or similar, helps to keep your eyes on the road.

The car is real loud! But the stereo helps to cancel the noise. Quite a powerfull car with loads of feedback (more then a pirate radio satation? :lol: )

The pop up lights are great. The main reason i got the car over others. Can't wait until the summer for a club track day.

Not bothered about people beating me of lights or down the road etc, just enjoying the car knowing it's superior stats.
mart1975

Re: New mr2 owner

Post by mart1975 »

L8ERS wrote:collected it Tuesday. Real happy with it. However, it is not a motorway mile eater at all. Still need to get the windscreen seal sorted - will do tomorrow (any ideas how much to get the top rubber strip sorted?).

Takes a bit to get used to it but i enjoy it. It really does plaster a smile on your face! I'd recommend using a road angel or similar, helps to keep your eyes on the road.

The car is real loud! But the stereo helps to cancel the noise. Quite a powerfull car with loads of feedback (more then a pirate radio satation? :lol: )

The pop up lights are great. The main reason i got the car over others. Can't wait until the summer for a club track day.

Not bothered about people beating me of lights or down the road etc, just enjoying the car knowing it's superior stats.

around £55 for that strip from toyota, rip off if you ask me
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Couldn't answer that poll because neither are true. ;)

MK1 is great fun handling, but we shouldn't be under any illusion that the elise isn't in another galaxy handling wise. I'm not dissing the MK1, but honestly the elise is a much, much better handling car.

The truth is that lotus did FA with the MK1 apart from maybe drive it round a test track once or twice.
Last edited by Lauren on Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
sketch

Post by sketch »

^^^^^^^^^^^
what lauren said, :tongue:
i heard all that lotus/mr2 stuff, read Brookland's book's
Toyota mr2 gold portfolio, its all in there :lol:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

L8ERS wrote:collected it Tuesday. Real happy with it. However, it is not a motorway mile eater at all. Still need to get the windscreen seal sorted - will do tomorrow (any ideas how much to get the top rubber strip sorted?).

Actually we have an IMOC trackday on the 11th March at Anglesey. See the sticky thread in this or the general forum.
Sharpfish

Post by Sharpfish »

L8ERS wrote:However, it is not a motorway mile eater at all.

Mine always has been - done many happy trips up and down the M5.. always a blast (though being an SC+mods helps give it a bit more oomph so don't have to rev the nuts off it so much - could always do with a taller 5th or a nice 6 OD gear though ;) )

L8ERS wrote:Takes a bit to get used to it but i enjoy it. It really does plaster a smile on your face! I'd recommend using a road angel or similar, helps to keep your eyes on the road.

I remember the mr2 grin.. the SC grin added another few degrees to the curvature of the smile..

L8ERS wrote:The car is real loud! But the stereo helps to cancel the noise.

I prefer to listen to the noise usually, its fun!

L8ERS wrote:

Always been a fan of pop ups since I was a boy, however, I'll take the fact it's mid engine, has great handling and has such a wild shape over the pop-ups as the "main reason" I bought one anyday ;)

L8ERS wrote:

Honestly, this has never happened to me, even with a few motorbikes (in my old auto SC which was great from the lights). I've kept up with everything from GT4s to integras - if the road is ideal for it where our cars pay off. In a long straight line of course you will loose against the bigger engine cars - of course this again applies to force fed mark 1s + mods.

Anyway, enjoy the car - I've had mine nearly 5 years now!! and it's been out of action since june last year (no reason just don't need it as I work from home at the moment) but I'm getting ready to finally fix it up good and proper for the next 5 (until I can afford a nismo 350z or something ;) )
moogy

Post by moogy »

Lauren wrote:Couldn't answer that poll because neither are true. ;)

MK1 is great fun handling, but we shouldn't be under any illusion that the elise isn't in another galaxy handling wise. I'm not dissing the MK1, but honestly the elise is a much, much better handling car.

The truth is that lotus did FA with the MK1 apart from maybe drive it round a test track once or twice.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Dan Gurney of Gurney Flap fame test the prototype a fair bit? I'd take a contemporary of Jim Clark's input in R+D anyday !!

Just my 2p :whistle:
moogy

Post by moogy »

Lauren wrote:Couldn't answer that poll because neither are true. ;)

But maybe they only needed to test it a couple of times to provide extremely valuable advice on how to set the car up ?
mk1.5turbo

Post by mk1.5turbo »

Having had both the Elise is a way better handling car than the MR2. However, the MR2 is more fun because of the fact that the car and the parts are so cheap (not to mention tyres), and the fact that the MR2 doesn't bite as much as the Elise does.

The MR2 would be perfect with a bit more power or a bit less weight. Remember the S1 Elise only has 118bhp, its just that it weighs 300kg less than an MR2.
reanimation

Post by reanimation »

No idea at the mo driven neither...yet!

I was hoping to shed some weight from mine. 300kg eh?

However i'm staring to love the quirky leccy gadgets now they are working! Yay

The elise is one of the new cars i noticed and instantly wanted, looks like a serious machine. is that engine any good though?
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

reanimation wrote:No idea at the mo driven neither...yet!

I was hoping to shed some weight from mine. 300kg eh?

However i'm staring to love the quirky leccy gadgets now they are working! Yay

The elise is one of the new cars i noticed and instantly wanted, looks like a serious machine. is that engine any good though?

Think you will seriously struggle to shed more than 100Kgs really.

The K-series is a bit crap when it comes to reliability especially in the more tuned elises. I've driven a K20A engined one (Honda civic type-R engine and box) and that really flies:
http://www.jimbocam.com/blink/dash-cam-pip1.mpg
Vid is 0-100mph in 9.5 secs.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”