URGENT - Confusion over twosforus delimter/ mph converter...

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Import

URGENT - Confusion over twosforus delimter/ mph converter...

Post by Import »

Hi all,

Sorry about the panic, but I'm running out of time.

I've taken everything step by step, but something is confusing me.

I've replaced my clock face with a 180mph UK Turbo face - CHECK!

Fitted the twosforus delimiter/ converter, I've taken off the self test beacuse I didn't want it on.

With the switch in the MPH mode, the speedo reads as if the old KPH face is still on (30mph being about 1/3 up the scale)

Whereas when I flick the switch into the "up" position (KPH) then it seems to slow the needle down, and its confusing me which one is correct.

The simple tests I've done are:

2k rpm in 3rd = 30mph
3k rpm in 2nd = 30mph

If this is correct, then I'll keep the switch on KPH, despite it being in MPH.

Another thing, my tripometer, and mileage counter are still whizzing up as if its kilmoetres

HELP PLEASE!!!
steve

Re: URGENT - Confusion over twosforus delimter/ mph converter...

Post by steve »

as long as you have a 180kph speedo i.e. an import, the KMH switch will turn it into MPH.

what speedo have you got fitted behind your 180mph face? what did the speedo go upto before the 180mph face?

if you leave the sweep test function on it will sweep to 120mph then 60mph then 0mph when you turn the ignition on :D
Import

Post by Import »

:lol: i'm such a numpty!

behind my 180mph uk face, i have KPH clocks

before i changed the face, my speedo went to 180kph, and 110mph
steve

Post by steve »

thats cool, just flick the switch onto KMH then - job done :D

if you want to turn the sweep off, have it on KMH, then with the ignition on, flip it to MPH then back to KMH ;)
Import

Post by Import »

sorted!

turned the test/ sweep off for now, as I'm curious to see how many miles I get from a full tank, and with the sweep on - everytime it happens it puts miles on the tripometer :lol:

Thanks for your help Steve!
steve

Post by steve »

no problem mate, glad i could help :D
Stef Derner

Post by Stef Derner »

The idea behind the switch is if you have a KMPH speedo you set the switch to KMPH. If you have a MPH speedo you set the switch to MPH. In both cases the speedo will read in MPH.
Import

Post by Import »

I thought the switch was "what do you want it to read in"

Not "what clocks do you currently have"

:lol:
unyonion

Post by unyonion »

Just looking as I am after a delimiter/convertor, does the self test really put miles on the trip? and if so how many?

Also if anyone has got one for sale I would be interested as Twosrus have sold out

Mark
Moo

Post by Moo »

Import wrote:sorted!

turned the test/ sweep off for now, as I'm curious to see how many miles I get from a full tank, and with the sweep on - everytime it happens it puts miles on the tripometer :lol:

Thanks for your help Steve!

When I have my delimeter in test mode in adds .1 miles to the mileage reading every time I turn the ignition on. Very handy function to have though, especially if you take off the speedo needle, loose the spring pre tension and need to re-calibrate the speedo again :whistle: Managed to put 5 miles on the car that day without actually moving :lol:
bburn13

Post by bburn13 »

unyonion wrote:Just looking as I am after a delimiter/convertor, does the self test really put miles on the trip? and if so how many?

Also if anyone has got one for sale I would be interested as Twosrus have sold out

Mark

Stef emailed me last night. Back in stock
I ordered one tonight
Dave
89 SC - Beauty.
89 Track n/ail - The Red Dwarf
84 Blue 1.5 Tin Top Rummy, 54 RX8 -Rex
helencooke01

Post by helencooke01 »

Also to answer the question about the sweep - yes it does put miles on the clock :lol: :lol:

Just one of those little annoying things, but really when you consider the mileage you probably cover, it's negligible (well doesn't really bother me anyway).

Just out of interest, does anyone know why it performs the sweep?

Helen
C50

Post by C50 »

Isn't it so you can calibrate it?! Say, you remove the needle its a pain to put back the needle in the original position as you cant just put it at 0 or the rest pin. The speedo will read wrong and instead of driving around with a gps and maintaining that speed with the dash out and trying to stick the needle back in at that speed (right place) whislt keeping an eye on the road. The sweep goes to 120? as to check if your speedo it correct, thus making it easier to calibrate.

That's what i've read up somewhere.. :roll:
Stef Derner

Post by Stef Derner »

C50 wrote:Isn't it so you can calibrate it?! Say, you remove the needle its a pain to put back the needle in the original position as you cant just put it at 0 or the rest pin. The speedo will read wrong and instead of driving around with a gps and maintaining that speed with the dash out and trying to stick the needle back in at that speed (right place) whislt keeping an eye on the road. The sweep goes to 120? as to check if your speedo it correct, thus making it easier to calibrate.

That's what i've read up somewhere.. :roll:

The sweep test is there for two reasons, 1) because people asked for it. 2) so people can check if the needle is in the right place.

If you flick the switch across to the other position and back while the ignition is on, it turns off the sweep test. There are some people who wanted the sweep to look cool, but because of the way the speed and ODO are inextricably connected they have to suffer the clocking up with each test.
Caribbean_Blue

Post by Caribbean_Blue »

The sweep is also a good test system check too. If it doesnt sweep and you have that activated you know its broke. :thumleft:
Running: 313.8BHP @ fly and 285lb torque on 1.15bar.
MY MR2 FOR SALE: http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=109986

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”