sticky gear change

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

sticky gear change

Post by Ryan S »

What have people done about this? Mine has always been a bit shitty. It appears to have an ebay short shift kit that came in the car. It has the absolute waste of time Sbits skateboard bearing in the shifter cables. What a waste of 8 quid as they just fall out.

I'm sure it's an issue with these "bearings" and the shortshift but any other steps I can take to make it feel silky?
SonicSW20

Re: sticky gear change

Post by SonicSW20 »

Fit a Rev3+ (might be Rev2+?) shifter as this is the shortest factory one not counting TRD, and get either polybushes or spherical bearings for the cables. They need to be able rotate a bit which the skateboard bearings do not allow them to do.

You changed out the square bushing too?
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

SonicSW20 wrote:Fit a Rev3+ (might be Rev2+?) shifter as this is the shortest factory one not counting TRD, and get either polybushes or spherical bearings for the cables. They need to be able rotate a bit which the skateboard bearings do not allow them to do.

You changed out the square bushing too?

not done anything other than fit those useless skateboard things bud. Yeah i'm keen to go back to a stock shifter. It's unnecessarily short the one that's in there now.

You got any links to what's best to use? Obviously a shifter i can find no bother.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

amazing man, thanks a lot!

i think the racer X ones look pretty good!
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Bought the ones from "banned trader". Hopefully makes a big difference. The skateboard ones are the biggest waste of money I've ever spent on the car 😂
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

If your stock bushings are so wallowed out the ID is egg shaped then the bearings are an improvement. They are absolutely xxxx compared to a polybushing or spherical bearing. It needs that small amount of articulation.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Parts cat suggests that the shifter assembly itself is the same from Rev2 on for EU and Japan.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Ah great i'll get on the hunt for one. Yeah I just bought the wee polybushes for it. Looking forward to getting them in. The gear change isn't the worst but it deffo could be better! With everything else being done to the car I don't want to leave it.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Ryan S wrote:Ah great i'll get on the hunt for one. Yeah I just bought the wee polybushes for it. Looking forward to getting them in. The gear change isn't the worst but it deffo could be better! With everything else being done to the car I don't want to leave it.

Another thing to check is your clutch pedal height, process in the workshop manual for that one. If its not dead on, your clutch may not be fully disengaging, which will make it difficult to get into and out of gear if its dragging just a little bit. While you're down there, check the hole for the clevis pin that attaches the clutch master cylinder pushrod to the pedal, as these are known to oval out over time.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

I'll have a look mate thanks. I actually did adjust the height when I put the car on the road again. I actually have a feeling the clutch needs bled again too so i'll do that as well as adjust it. Thanks for the help dude!
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

All good - I've seen on the FB groups some people have drilled the hole out if it's ovalled an put a collar in there to bring it back down to the right size. Dunno if thats a commercially available product, if it is I would guess its from the US side!
Juliuswws

Post by Juliuswws »

I got the spherical bearing installed 8 years ago along with the cube shaped bush. Works perfectly since. I spray some lube on it time to time just for good measure.

Last time I had shifting issue (selecting 1st gear from standstill), I had to adjust the rod slightly at the master cylinder.

In my opinion if you want good shift feel:
- Take the gear lever assembly out - clean it and relube it with new grease.
- Some lube at the linkage end (cabin side) won't hurt
- Linkage end boots must be intact
- Shift lever boot on the gearbox (33531-17030 )should be intact. I just changed mine as it was in several pieces. (Flushed the dirt out and re-lubed before installation)

I've done all the above and my 2 shifts beautifully.
I have good gear fluid, but we all have that.

Mine looked like this in 2012 when bought the car...

I have never been a fan of short shifter. I think MR2 has a short shifter from factory. Anytime I sit back to my 2 after driving some other yoke, my reaction is: WOW, short shifts 8)

Cheers
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Ah this is good info bud. This is the kind of this i want to hear. Yeah i feel the same about short shifts on these. It's hardly a long shift to begin with!
jbliss

Post by jbliss »

Biggest improvement I found was when I changed the Gearbox oil to Redline MT-90.Expensive, but worth it.
I have a TRD shifter and also solid shifter bushes.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

I am due a gearbox oil change so will go with that. Expenses aren't really something that I care about with the car anymore haha. Just whatever works :)
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

I really fancy the hybrid shifter that hux makes

https://www.huxracing.com/online-store/ ... p122557284

It's the unit that honda k-series guys use, but then you lose the ability to fit a shifter surround also 600 quid lol
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Race Idiot wrote:I really fancy the hybrid shifter that hux makes

https://www.huxracing.com/online-store/ ... p122557284

It's the unit that honda k-series guys use, but then you lose the ability to fit a shifter surround also 600 quid lol

Wow that's a pricey piece of kit eh! I bet it feels great! Too much for me at the moment though :cry:
jbliss

Post by jbliss »

Ryan S wrote:I am due a gearbox oil change so will go with that. Expenses aren't really something that I care about with the car anymore haha. Just whatever works :)

Id definitely recommend some MT-90. Best price I found was JJC on eBay. bought a US gallon and had some left over
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Hopefully my bushes arrive this week. I'll do them and the oil at the same time :)

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”