Rev2 turbo 300ish bhp

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

AdsMr23sge

Rev2 turbo 300ish bhp

Post by AdsMr23sge »

I have a rev 2 turbo and I'm aiming for around 300bhp

Mods so far

Japspeed de cat downpipe
Fujitsibo cat back exhaust
Some sort of cone filter
Fcd

Its definitely running more boost than stock however theres no electronic or manual boost controller fitted so I'm guessing the previous owner has adjusted the actuator to get more boost? It must be above 13 psi as it smells really rich but I have no boost guage or a wideband at the moment so I dont really no however I do have a aem wideband and a aem boost guage on the way

Can anyone point me in the right direction to get near this figure safely and reliably?

I was thinking

Emu ecu
Charge cooler set up
Walbro 255lph fuel pump
550cc injectors
Apexi air filter
Ct20b turbo

Any advice would be great as I just want to start ordering parts!

I've got hsd coilovers
Decent fast road pads and rubber
So it stops and holds the road well

Cheers
Hez

Re: Rev2 turbo 300ish bhp

Post by Hez »

You're not far wrong with that, pretty much a rev 3 conversion. Do that and turn the boost upto 15-17PSI and you wont be far off that 300. The standard rev 3 turbo ecu will manage too. Of course go for the aftermarket ECU if you intend to take it further in future but the next step is a big one, forged pistons etc. If you don't intend to then you might aswell save the money.
AdsMr23sge

Post by AdsMr23sge »

I was going to go complete standalone as j might build the engine in the future however for the moment I was just wanting a safe 300bhp but I was still going to go standalone so I can sort the fuelling aswell

What parts would I need if I were to go rev3 conversion to get rid of the afm ?
tottacrolla

Post by tottacrolla »

You need a way to measure air volume and a 3 Bar MAP sensor is what you need to delete the AFM
AdsMr23sge

Post by AdsMr23sge »

Yeah I thought so , I think I'll just go standalone as I'll need it in the future anyway , what afternarked injectors will fit the rev2 rail?
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

You're on the right track. Don't bother with rev3 fuelling. It's way more cost effective to go standalone IMO. Do exactly what you've suggested and you're good to go!
AdsMr23sge

Post by AdsMr23sge »

Thats great ill start ordering some parts , has anyone got any idears what aftermarket fuel injectors will fit a rev 2 rail?
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Hez wrote:You're not far wrong with that, pretty much a rev 3 conversion. Do that and turn the boost upto 15-17PSI and you wont be far off that 300. The standard rev 3 turbo ecu will manage too. Of course go for the aftermarket ECU if you intend to take it further in future but the next step is a big one, forged pistons etc. If you don't intend to then you might aswell save the money.

Hey Hez....My current car is your old yellow rev3. I chased back the history of the car years ago. When I seen your name on here I knew I recognised it. Had to go through google but eventually found your for sale ad for it. I got it from a lad in edinburgh, I swapped him an RX8 for it.
nathan.z

Post by nathan.z »

I'm in the same boat - slowly bringing a Rev2 Turbo to 300WHP. You're missing the Metal Head Gasket- Rev 2's apparently blow above 1 bar/14.5 PSI ish with the stock composite head gasket so there's a risk of it going.
s. jones

Post by s. jones »

nathan.z wrote:I'm in the same boat - slowly bringing a Rev2 Turbo to 300WHP. You're missing the Metal Head Gasket- Rev 2's apparently blow above 1 bar/14.5 PSI ish with the stock composite head gasket so there's a risk of it going.
ATS racing say the rev2 gasket is good to 350whp, i have run mine at 15psi for 10years
nathan.z

Post by nathan.z »

s. jones wrote:
nathan.z wrote:I'm in the same boat - slowly bringing a Rev2 Turbo to 300WHP. You're missing the Metal Head Gasket- Rev 2's apparently blow above 1 bar/14.5 PSI ish with the stock composite head gasket so there's a risk of it going.
ATS racing say the rev2 gasket is good to 350whp, i have run mine at 15psi for 10years

If that's the case then that'll save me a bunch money. I think it's just an additional risk to be aware off that may have stemmed from Rev 2 Turbos having the boost cranked on the stock ECU with the CT26 blowing hot air. I imagine if it's got a good after market tune reducing knock with larger injectors and the CT20b then the risk is reduced and so the boost can be cranked safely.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”