Installing cylinder head

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ufer

Installing cylinder head

Post by ufer »

Hi All,

I am changing the pistons and all necessary gaskets, seals and o-rings of my Bluetop MK1a (4AGELC). I will be very thankful if you help me with your advises.
1. May I install the intake manifold to the cylinder head out of the car (the motor, the block is in), so on the table, together with the TVIS, rear plate and water outlet? It will be much easier to re-torque the bolts in several passes and to install perfect the gaskets. I suppose it's possible but I'm not sure do I become another problems. I have a good winch to install vertically the head together with the manifold properly on the block. On that way I could save a lot of power and problems, connected with the work over and under the car because of the tight place.

2. Is it better to install the fuel lines, rail and injectors first before the wiring harness?

3. I have seen that some of you are using red (head) and blue (intake manifold?) gasket sealents. Could somebody gives more information about the extra sealing of the cylinder head and the intake manifold?

Best greetings from the Black sea coast
SuperRedMR2

Re: Installing cylinder head

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Hi Ufer,

1. You can install the head with inlet manifold, coolant pipes and outlet off of the car, but bear in mind it does get quite heavy after a while. You also need to be able to locate the head on the locating pin (IIRC), so with the extra weight this may make it more awkward.

2. The loom runs underneath the fuel rail so you have to install the rail afterwards.

3. I don't know about the colour of gaskets, but I use Wellseal on my head between the block and gasket and then between the gasket and head. I also use this on every other gasket.
ufer

Re: Installing cylinder head

Post by ufer »

Thank you very much, SuperRedMR2, for the perfect answer. I have a small winch I use to drop motor or different parts. It passеs exactly over the block and takes the weight. I have seen red and blue sealants in some photos of the club. Some colleagues here use sealants only for paper gasket. They install the head and the metal gaskets (T_VIS, oil pump, oil strainer...) clear, without sealant.

Have a nice day and thank you again!

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”