Oil pressure sender - Where to fit?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

kirk

Oil pressure sender - Where to fit?

Post by kirk »

I'm about fit my new gauges but before I do I was wondering where do people generally take their oil pressure from? Do you T off the OEM sensor or plug in else where?
almeida1234

Re: Oil pressure sender - Where to fit?

Post by almeida1234 »

Get a sandwich plate mate.
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Sandwich plate, oil pump or T.

No sandwich plate on Rev1/2.
shinny

Post by shinny »

Rev3+ engines have really useful sender locations just above the filter:

Sandswich plates work OK and are a well understood solution that work on many cars. But these ports are mechanically better - the thread, with a the best-practice PTFE tape, will seal better that the rubber seal between sump and sandwich plate (which can sometimes leak) and you don't disturb them on every oil filter change like you can with a sandwich plate. They're roughly cost equivalent for two sensors and cheaper for a single. Due to their location, the readings are equivalent to sandwich plate readings too - I converted from a sandwich plate to those ports about 4 years ago when I fitted a thermostatic plate for my oil cooler and have never regretted it for a second.
mr2magic

Post by mr2magic »

I always place the oil sender at the point farthest from the pump. This is usually the spot where a drop in pressure will be noticed first. That means I place it in the stock location :wink:
craig

Post by craig »

Had a sandwich plate on my rev 3 turbo with oil pressure and oil temp senders. Never had an issue with leaks or the sandwich plate since it was fitted in 2008.
shinny

Post by shinny »

mr2magic wrote:I always place the oil sender at the point farthest from the pump

This is a good thing

The oil gallery (using a T-piece on a braided line) is probably the ideal location for pressure. I don't use it because comparative readings are really useful on a single engine and I know what my engine does at the filter location, so know if it's doing something odd. It's saved my engine a few times when I had bad mods fitted :thumleft:
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Yeah that's what I did - on the Rev 3 at least the T piece won't fit if you want to keep the existing sensor. A braided line however does it perfectly. I got mine from deamontweaks I think, LMA I think was the make.
kirk

Post by kirk »

So a remote mount away from the block is the best way. I'm not a fan of sandwich plates personally and mounting it next to where my oil temp feed is isn't ideal in my head.

Any pictures Androo?
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Hmm let me see if I can dig one out
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Sorry chap don't have one at the moment. The converter i bought was:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LMA-Oil-Press ... 1312551952
JD

Post by JD »

I found an original cool guy 90s japan tat G-Reddy sandwich plate the other day but the shipping was toooooo much tho.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”