[Mk2] [Turbo] Error 52 Knock Sensor

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

benfacer

[Mk2] [Turbo] Error 52 Knock Sensor

Post by benfacer »

I started this in my members profiles section but guessing I should post here for more views/responses.

I have been doing a lot of searching and reading around so feel I am quite clued up on common issues, I am aware this error has been covered many times!

I bought my first MR2 two weeks ago and unfortunately towards the end of the test drive it started hesitating and threw the error 52 knock sensor code. I managed to negotiate a discount off the price (I felt it was already pretty cheap) so I took the car with the fault.
I bought a new pattern knock sensor with some other bits as above from TCB parts (found through this forum, thanks!) but this did not cure the problem.
At this point the engine light would not come on straight away, I would get a minute or so of full power then engine light and limp mode. If it turned ignition off and on again I would get the same, but wouldn't be 100% smooth a higher revs.
I started going through possible issues so replaced the dissy cap, rotor arm (as they where in poor condition anyway), fuel filter for piece of mind and I have got some ignition leads on the way, current ones are cheap looking after-market and look a bit worse for wear!

From reading around I thought that the issue may be using a pattern knock sensor, so took a deep breath and ordered a genuine knock sensor from TCB. Wanted to replace the above parts in case there was a issue blowing the sensor before fitting the expensive one!
Reading through many forums regarding the error 52 one user suggested getting a new sensor and connecting it, not installing it in the engine just running a earth wire to the block instead to isolate the sensor so there is no way it could see any knock. I did this with my brand new Toyota sensor (after ECU reset) and the error came up with a gentle rev as before. Engine light coming on a about 2.5-3K revs. I did a code check before engine start and revving and there where no codes present so happy ECU reset was done correctly.
I am guessing this is showing the wiring is at fault.

I have just tested continuity on the wire now and it seems fine... Maybe something wrong with the shielding?

It's running standard boost. I have done a compression test and is 140psi on 3 cylinders although cylinder 3 spark plug was in very tight so couldn't get that one out to test. Will try again after a good run out today see if the heat helps loosen it.
I can't see any evidence of it running raised boost, all lines around the actuator look very old and original with no sign of clips being removed.

It was running worse before dissy cap and arm change so maybe that caused knock that killed the original sensor..... Now runs pretty smooth through the revs, a slight hesitation at about 2.5K revs but then smooths out but holding back due to safe mode. Before dissy cap change it was very jerky at higher revs..... Or maybe the original sensor is fine and it's purely a wiring fault...

I am getting very frustrated with this now as running out of cash, and just want to drive it in this lovely weather!!

Any ideas?
benfacer

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Error 52 Knock Sensor

Post by benfacer »

I have manged to get spark plug 3 out and it is also 140PSi ......
benfacer

Post by benfacer »

Forgot to add I got a timing light on it and it is 10deg BTDC as per manual with the diagnostic bridged.
Nic

Post by Nic »

benfacer wrote:It's running standard boost. I have done a compression test and is 140psi on 3 cylinders although cylinder 3 spark plug was in very tight so couldn't get that one out to test. Will try again after a good run out today see if the heat helps loosen it.
I can't see any evidence of it running raised boost, all lines around the actuator look very old and original with no sign of clips being removed.

Does the car have a boost gauge fitted to confirm the standard boost? I'm thinking out loud here, did the car overboost on the test drive, causing the fault code and knock sensor to fail? Might be worth checking the wastegate actuator is working.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
benfacer

Post by benfacer »

Hi Nic thanks for the reply.

No there is no boost gauge fitted. It did feel fast on the test drive, but I have had a diesel for a while now so that isn't a surprise!
I do have a boost gauge that I could fit, but cannot get full boost due to limp mode (maybe at lower revs). I might try this but it doesn't seen excessive.
Is there a error code for overboost? Would the ECU boost control not kick in as it is still enabled? This seems to limit boost in limp mode.

This doesn't explain why my brand new Toyota knock sensor is throwing a error straight away without even being fitted into the block....
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

If you have checked the knock sensor and the wiring then next step is ECU. I know you done the reset but is it possible to borrow someone's ECU?
benfacer

Post by benfacer »

No unfortunatly I am very new to the MR2 scene so don't think I know anyone with a ECU I can borrow.

Anyone on here from the Leeds area that could lend me a ECU to try? I am happy to travel a bit and try it at your location.
benfacer

Post by benfacer »

Had some development today!
Got my sparky friend to run in a new cable with me which initally didn't make any difference. I had my origional knock sensor fitted at the time.
I changed this to the pattern sensor on my lunch but this didn't make any difference :evil:
When I got home I had the ECU apart and all looked good inside...
Though I would try the genuine Toyota sensor I got, and success! Engine light now gone and full boost achieved on test drive!

First couple of pulls where fine, but then at about 5500 rpm it started to struggle, didn't sound nice, like a tinkering from the exhaust.
This isn't a noise I have heard before, but I am guessing this is a fuelling issue as didn't seem just juddery like ignition issue (and the ignition is all brand new) :evil: :evil: :evil:

I changed the fuel filter at the weekend..... I don't know what to try next! I am drasticly running out of cash, but am very concerned I get this sorted quick as I don't want to kill another sensor!!

Any ideas?
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

are you using shell 99 or Tesco 99 octane fuel?
benfacer

Post by benfacer »

Shell V power
benfacer

Post by benfacer »

I was under the impression that the Rev 3 was less sensitive to octane rating? I have been running it only on Shell Vpower anyway just to be on safe side!
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

yep they need to be on high octane

where abouts in leeds are you?

im in pontefract, but work in Sherburn in Elmet, dont mind having a look over it for you if you like
benfacer

Post by benfacer »

PM sent
androo007

Post by androo007 »

that tinkering was probably detonation - not a good thing.

Ben - You're in Leeds... get over to SBits who is near you - i fear the first sensor went because of excessive knock, and it'll happen again - I've a feeling its a ticking timebomb. I'd recommend getting it professionally evaluated before it blows the ringlands or worse.
benfacer

Post by benfacer »

I am coming to the same conclusion androo007 :cry:

I have managed to borrow a fuel pressure tester so will see what it's doing...
I have heard the fuel pump change is a b#tch of a job but would rather go through that than a blown engine!!
androo007

Post by androo007 »

What makes you think it's the fuel pump? I'm not convinced.

Honestly mate get it to Peter, he is a mechanical god and you can't go any better than him - your money is well placed with him.
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

Swapping the pump is an overhyped job, it's half a days work yes it's a pain being up and down from under the car alot and a spare pair of hands is very useful but it's not difficult.

Also don't try and remove the nut that joins the filter line to the tank just unbolt it from the fuel filter itself or it will snap the hardline
benfacer

Post by benfacer »

androo007 wrote:What makes you think it's the fuel pump? I'm not convinced.

I am thinking it is the fuel pump as it seems like it is struggling at higher revs/demand. The problem now occurs at about 5500 rpm, and when running in limp mode it seemed OK (less boost, less demand). The ignition system (arm, cap and leads) have just been replaced by myself and the plugs just before I bought it (checked and looked OK) so I think I can rule that out.

I am fortunate enough to work with some very skilled/experienced engine guys one of which who has a lot of experience with Japanese turbo cars (mapped a couple of MR2s but is not a expert on this engine), he has also suggested it sounds like it could be the fuel pump.
I am hoping a fuel pressure test will give me a more definite answer.

I am happy to hear other suggestions though! As I said before I am very much running out of money to throw at it!
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Hmm yeah its hard to say. Let us know how the fuel pressure test goes.....
benfacer

Post by benfacer »

Finally managed to get the pressure test done today, tester was a bit worse for wear so needed some adjustment to the adaptor to work correctly!
Side vents proved very useful for this test!

All seems OK..... Static is about 39psi with the terminals in the DIAG port bridged, about 33 at idle and goes up to about 50psi at high revs with no drop off when I get the dip at 5500rpm (which cleared when got higher in the revs).
At least I don't have to pull the tank out!

Anyone got any other ideas??

Return to “Mechanical”