mr2 sputters and hesitate, with boost, without it runs fine

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

shymirror

mr2 sputters and hesitate, with boost, without it runs fine

Post by shymirror »

I have an mr2 turbo that sputters and hesitates when i try to give throttle With a turbo that is giving boost, and it runs fine when there is no boost present at all

i have a ct26 mounted on my car now and it hesitates and sputters when i try giving throttle and it gets on boost

but when i had my ct20b that i did not noticed had damaged compressorwheel blades thus not giving boost, it worked fine and would og to redline

so it seems my car does not like getting turbo boost
all the piping from turbo too the intercooler and intake manifoil is tight and not leaking.
Willenium

Re: mr2 sputters and hesitate, with boost, without it runs fine

Post by Willenium »

Start checking your ignition components (leads, distributor cap, rotor arm etc).
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Boost leak
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

boost leak +1
shymirror

Post by shymirror »

willenium: i have just changed all of them so they should be good,
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

having just changed hoses that cause this issue, maybe one (or more) of them are not as tightly fitted as they could be?
simpson_eh

Post by simpson_eh »

i had this turned out the spark wasnt strong enough on boost changed the coil pack perfect had big crack in the side
If you see an MR2 with a raised engine cover, the bottom line is it's probably faster than your car.
tedweirdo

Post by tedweirdo »

Don't forget the basics! I had the same on my Rev 3, I checked my leads, replaced the dizzy cap, rotor arm and fuel filter. Turned out to be the plugs themselves. I had removed them and visually checked for cracks etc. Looked perfect but still gave trouble on boost.
Mike

Post by Mike »

If you have completely ruled out vacuum leaks then as others have said look at your ignition components.
Check everything is where it should be and nothings loose or arcing.
Then I would change the spark plugs. Go for copper core plugs (I use NGK BKR7E) rather than platinum or anything that claims to be "high performance" etc. If that fails then like most other issues it becomes a process of elimination. I'd say the most likely culprits are the ignition leads and the coil pack, unfortunately OEM leads (dont bother with aftermarket) are expensive and the coil pack is a b1tch to get to. This time of year the coil packs tend to crack and let in water, which considering the recent weather could be your problem.

MR2 Turbos are very sensitive to ignition components. Good luck.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”