Brake pad reccomendations Ebay bargain ideally!

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

masterbateson

Brake pad reccomendations Ebay bargain ideally!

Post by masterbateson »

As per the above, whats the reccomendation for Pads at a reasonable price?
Mintek or pagid?

Anyone running just bogo standard ones and they are alright?

Think the ones in are just basic ones, Ive got drilled and grooved disks.
Race Idiot

Re: Brake pad reccomendations Ebay bargain ideally!

Post by Race Idiot »

oem toyota are good and resonable price. also it might not be a good idea to skimp on components that help you come to a stop.
craig

Post by craig »

Race Idiot wrote:oem toyota are good and resonable price. also it might not be a good idea to skimp on components that help you come to a stop.

^This.

I wouldn't run ebay brake pads if you paid me. Get some OEM Toyota pads on there.
Hez

Post by Hez »

shoot me down, but out of all the standard pads ive had the EBC ultimax have been the best ones by far. #-o
super

Post by super »

Check http://www.eurocarparts.com/brake-pads

Pagid are a great OEM replacement. :thumleft:

Cheers,
John
chambers360

Post by chambers360 »

I was literally just going to ask this question myself, i was thinking of going with the oem toyota ones, ive had pagid pads on other cars to be fair and theves always been alright tho
Hez

Post by Hez »

Just to add i had pagid ones on before the ebc ultimax and i found the pagid ones pants compared to these, even though the pagid ones might be considered a premium pad over these.
masterbateson

Post by masterbateson »

Oooh! :wink:
Lookey ere now.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OEM-TOYOTA-MR ... Sw54xUYLWi

Cor blimey Mr! :clap:
masterbateson

Post by masterbateson »

But.......... #-o yeah but no but....

5 quid more and ebc ultimax? :?: :-k :-k :-k

Confused.com or flip a coin job?

But then which is heads and which is tails.

Indecisive me? :lol:
masterbateson

Post by masterbateson »

Why is nowt straight forward for me ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Just bobbed out and whipped the wheels off quickly and my rear callipers dont match :roll: #-o one side is a 16v and other side is a 22v like it says on the eblag listing.

Both fronts match and are the 36T30 ones, all corners have a fair amount of meat left on them apart from the passenger front corner,which surprise surprise was the one that seized up solid on me on sat resulting in one red hot disk and a brake pedal superman couldnt shift.

So now what do i do? wonder if the rears altho different stampings are the same size pads? :-k

And should i maybe just buy pads for one corner from say these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-MR2-MK ... UKWu8O6agw

Now Im a bit confused .com again am i right in saying that the 36t30 callipers are the rev2-5 ones and presumably rev 1 calliper is stamped differently?
And whats the crack with the rears? have i got half rev1 and half rev2 or half turbo half na???
:?

For now the main thing is will the mr2ben pads fit my 36t30 callipers?
Im going to lie down in a dark room for a while.
Hez

Post by Hez »

the rears are the same across all revisions iirc
MartinF

Post by MartinF »

Sounds like somebody's fitted an incorrect caliper to the rear of your car at some point in the past.
Blue Lexus RCF
Black MKIV UK Manual Supra
Green MK2 MR2 Tin Top
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

Don't think the ones you linked on Ebay are genuine pads, they're way too cheap. Also, why would you even consider buying used pads?! It's just not worth doing :lol: Buy from a known seller or Toyota I reckon, even if it costs a little more. The Ebay pads MAY be fine but personally I wouldn't chance it.

As mentioned above, wouldn't advise skimping on brakes or tyres but it's entirely up to you - just don't crash into me :whistle:
masterbateson

oddness

Post by masterbateson »

guess there must be some sort of difference with the rear callipers as the stamping is different :? now i dont know if same thing as with the fronts apply and disks on rears maybe different size too.

As for the used pad thing well, if you look at the ones for sale they look virtually new, and they maybe second hand but are they bad coz there used? thet nay be pagid,ebc,mintex pads with 80-90 percent left so :-k

only toyed with idea because as i said the other 3 corners of my car pads are fine so only really need some for pas front.
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

I had an Audi a3 for a few years, just before I sold the car I was slowing down for a roundabout and heard a clonk before the brake pedal hit the floor.
To get home (and after some pumping of the pedal ( it was metal on metal )), I found the inner pad had come loose from the metal part of the pad and fallen out on to the road.
I bought the car with these pads, I could have been in a totally different situation with my son in the car, could have been a different story I am telling...

Either buy a genuine item or uprated, don't skimp on a few pounds for things like brake pads :-k
craig

Post by craig »

Buying used brake pads?? :shock: #-o

Don't scrimp on brakes. Fit oem Toyota pads.
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

RedMR² wrote:Buying used brake pads?? :shock: #-o

Don't scrimp on brakes. Fit oem Toyota pads.

I have a set of 2nd hand red stuff pads in the shed, I was going to keep them as spares but with the amount of dust coming of the carbotec pads I am tempted to use them now :-k

2nd hand pads can be ok if they are a quality item, just not cheap ebay pads imo :-k
abovetherim

Re: oddness

Post by abovetherim »

masterbateson wrote:guess there must be some sort of difference with the rear callipers as the stamping is different :? now i dont know if same thing as with the fronts apply and disks on rears maybe different size too.

As for the used pad thing well, if you look at the ones for sale they look virtually new, and they maybe second hand but are they bad coz there used? thet nay be pagid,ebc,mintex pads with 80-90 percent left so :-k

only toyed with idea because as i said the other 3 corners of my car pads are fine so only really need some for pas front.

For the rears;
16V is rev1
22V is rev2+
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

I used to find Pagid a good alternative to OE but over the years find the quality has gone down. The problem is fitment with aftermarket pads, slightly off and they're knocking everytime you brake, or go backwards etc , not always but they do have a tolerance. But original for trouble free.
masterbateson

Post by masterbateson »

why when i do a search on an ebc suppliers page is it saying akebono callipers?
thought they were aisin? :?

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”