[Mk2] [Generic] BC Racing + Whiteline adjustable ARB at stiff setting

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Peterwolf

[Mk2] [Generic] BC Racing + Whiteline adjustable ARB at stiff setting

Post by Peterwolf »

Hi all!

In May 2010 I bought BC-Racing coilovers with the following specifications:
BR Series Coilover : Type RA.
Chassis/Engine : SW20/21. BC Racing SKU : C-12
Front Coilovers : Camber pillowball Top Mount (upgraded).

I've instaled the coilovers at the same time with Whiteline adjustable ARB at the front using the OEM front droplinks. The droplink was engaged in the outside hole (soft tension) and everything worked fine. Also I've set the camber to the max negative settings possible at the top mount.

Months ago I've moved the droplink to the inner hole (hard tension) of the Whiteline ARB.

This week I'm doing suspension checks and overhauling and noticed that the droplinks are bent with marks of touching the droplink bracket in the coilover lower mount. Fruther investigation indicates that the droplink hits the bracket when on full steering lock.

I know that BC Racing have revised the droplink brackets and include front droplinks in the newer coilovers. Is that what I need to fix this issues?

Also, in one coilover the droplink is hitting the collars when on full lock. In the other is nearly close to the collars. Is that normal?

Are known issues between BC Racing and Whiteline adjustable ARB when in full stiffness (inner hole)?
What can I do to fix the issue and avoid that the droplink hit the bracket?

From my opinion maybe running longer droplinks to get clearance or mounting the droplink outside of the bracket may solve the problem.
What are your experience?

Thanks for the help!

bobhatton

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] BC Racing + Whiteline adjustable ARB at stiff setting

Post by bobhatton »

If BC have made changes then they know they have the problem.
Get on to them and get the parts that will fix the problem
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
Peterwolf

Post by Peterwolf »

I've already contacted BC Racing UK and I'm waiting for a response, in the meanwhile I'm checking if someone had this issue before and how they solved it.

Let me correct the first post, I've said that the droplink was in the outer hole since the beginning but that's wrong. I've used the droplink in the middle hole since I've installed the BC Racing and Whiteline ARB. In that setting I've never had issues (still the droplink nearly touches the bracket when on full steering lock).

Yesterday I took some measures and checked the clearance between components and got to the following conclusion:
- The droplink length is 260mm (mounting points);
- I'm using the reinforced droplinks from ´93 upwards cars so they are thicker than the standard ones from '90 to '93;
- In the outer hole of ARB droplink hits one side of the bracket on full steering lock;
- In the middle hole of ARB it nearly hits the bracket but it works (as used since 2010 without issues);
- In the inner hole of the ARB droplink hits the other side of the bracket on full steering lock;
- Tried to mount the droplink outside the bracket but when steering it hits the brake pipe (that comes inside the frunk);

What to do:
- Wait for a response from BC Racing, they might have a revised version of droplink bracket (I think mine is the later one, the other type of bracket is like the OEM but I've read people saying that the backet was changed for this one because it bents with use);
- Find a ride weight where the droplink have clearance with the locking collars;
- Use the '90 to '93 thinner droplink it might give clearance to avoid hitting the bracket, but as it's thinner it might bent with the forces generated by the ARB and steering components;
- Grind the brackets to get clearance, but it might weakens the bracket and could lead to snap or bent them;
- Use longer droplinks but that might bring clearance issues with LCA and because it's longer it might bent due to the forces involved and loose efficiency;
- Chop the brackets off and weld them more on the inside so I can use the droplink outside the brackets without hitting the brake pipes. Need to powder coat the lower mount and make sure that the welding process is well executed.

Also I need to try a shorter droplink, but I think that I'll have more issues than with a longer one.

From that all I'm considering grinding the brackets and/or using thinner droplinks as a less effort fix, or chop the brackets off and weld them in a new position so I can use the droplinks from the outside as a more "professional" fix.
Even so, if BC Racing have a solution that's even better :)

Thanks.

Peterwolf

Post by Peterwolf »

BC Racing UK has responded and they will send me the new design lower mount free of cost :)

Problem solved!
Thanks to all.

Return to “Modifications”