[Mk2] [Turbo] Better air intake temp sensor and positioning.Results page 6.

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Race Idiot

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Better air intake temp sensor and positioning.Results page 6.

Post by Race Idiot »

Is this the one?
http://wannaspeed.com/home/9-fast-reacting-iat.html

I'm assuming this is worth getting if you have a power fc?

If we could find the part number of the sensor shirley it should be fairly easy to just pop down to a triumph dealer for the part.
shinny

Post by shinny »

Race Idiot wrote:Is this the one?
http://wannaspeed.com/home/9-fast-reacting-iat.html

I'm assuming this is worth getting if you have a power fc?

If we could find the part number of the sensor shirley it should be fairly easy to just pop down to a triumph dealer for the part.

That's not the same as the one Jim and I bought, so I can't comment.

However I would suggest that a fast reacting IAT sensor is better for all ECUs, provided it gives the same readings as the stock sensor (or your ECU can be setup correctly to cope with a different sensor)
jon

Post by jon »

Race Idiot wrote:If we could find the part number of the sensor shirley it should be fairly easy to just pop down to a triumph dealer for the part.
Triumph part no. T1292004 looks like the one I have.
shinny

Post by shinny »

jon wrote:
Race Idiot wrote:If we could find the part number of the sensor shirley it should be fairly easy to just pop down to a triumph dealer for the part.

Mine too.. but looks and electrical properties are two very different things.
jon

Post by jon »

shinny wrote:
jon wrote:

True, that's why I said it looks the same.
Nails

Post by Nails »

Looking on the net I can't find a part number either but the frequency of people on about them on different forums all wanting then for the same fast acting reason leads me to believe at least it should be that one.
I'm guessing the threads different though? Its definitely something I'd be interested in.
Be nice to see a before and after on a dyno too.
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

shinny wrote:
jon wrote:

obviously, but hardly difficult to check.

it would seem there's more than one sensor that's applicable as the yanks are/were using the green sensor - T1290510 which was fitted to pretty much every late 90's/early 00's triumph (speedtriples, daytona, tiger, sprint ST) and the black sensor T1292004 which seems to have superseded the other sensor as it's also listed for pretty much every triumph bike made.

the difference being that one sensor has the shielded sensor head, the other doesn't.

worth mentioning,

the price linked above ($90) is a little more then the $33.51 price from triumph (not sure of the UK price)

and, the P&P RX7 harness will not fit an MR2 as the wiring plugs are different.
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

Nails wrote:Looking on the net I can't find a part number either but the frequency of people on about them on different forums all wanting then for the same fast acting reason leads me to believe at least it should be that one.
I'm guessing the threads different though? Its definitely something I'd be interested in.
Be nice to see a before and after on a dyno too.

yeah mate, the thread is much smaller (M10) so just needs an adaptor boss to fit the inlet manifold
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

An update to this,

My sensor arrived, its from a 1050 speed triple, and is the t1292004 sensor - I paid £10 inc p&p

I cant find an off the shelf M16x1.5 to M10x1.25 adaptor anywhere, so have bought a brass M16 blanking plug which I will drill and tap when it arrives

I bought a connector with wiring tails which I'lI splice into the oem loom, plug and play would be nice but really, if these sensors are better than stock therers no need to keep the stock plug.

I'm not really interested in making a kit for this as im too busy with work but I'lI do a 'how to' with links to where I bough the parts.Maybe next weekend when I'm home.

I expect the total installed price to be about £20. Including a used sensor.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

nice work.
:thumleft:
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

here we go...

take one M16x1.5 brass blanking plug, I got mine here

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321673636609? ... EBIDX%3AIT

centre punch the, erm, centre and then smash a hole through it, I picked the first small drill I picked up, in this case it was 4mm

then go through the hole again with an 8.8mm drill - the correct tapping drill for M10x1.25. if you haven't got an 8.8mm drill you could use 9mm, it'll mean the thread engagement won't be as strong but that's your decision to make, we're all adults here. and it's not like it's a load bearing thread like a wheel nut or head bolt.

then tap the hole, you'll need to buy an m10x1.25 tap set if you haven't got one, they're not expensive.

take the sensor and wrap a couple of turns of thread tape around it, don't go mental with it. you could use thread lock instead but I wanted to keep the sensor and adaptor as two separate entities in case the sensor ever stopped working

thread one into the other

here it is assembled with the wiring plug, which I got here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121661907202? ... EBIDX%3AIT

fitting

obviously you need to remove the original sensor, it's really simple.

remove the oil catch can for access, its just three hoses and one clip to pull it clear, if you can't manage this consider taking up a new hobby.

unclip the wiring plug - this can be fiddly if you've got fat hands - I find using your finger to release the clip then a screwdriver to "help" it off the sensor is easiest - it would have been easier if I'd removed my strut brace but I couldn't be bothered

here you can see the standard sensor removed from the manifold, keep the copper sealing washer from it, you will need this for the new adaptor

you can now install the new sensor in the manifold, no need to hang off it like its holding the car together, just a little nip up will do.

now the point of no return.

cut the plug off the wiring loom for the OE sensor, strip some insulation off and solder the tails from the adaptor into the loom, I aligned the adaptor so the "clip" section faced upwards the same as the standard plug, so the brown wire went to the side of the plug that has a "1" moulded into it, hopefully that makes sense?

make sure you use heat shrink over the joins, tape the wires up and clip the new plug onto the new sensor and put the catch can back where it belongs.

I then checked with my PFC commander that the sensor was reacting (AIMT voltage) and it is. Job done.

total cost - £17.21
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Amazing!

Nice work
Lefty1991

Post by Lefty1991 »

Rob - East Coast Imports wrote:An update to this,

My sensor arrived, its from a 1050 speed triple, and is the t1292004 sensor - I paid £10 inc p&p

I cant find an off the shelf M16x1.5 to M10x1.25 adaptor anywhere, so have bought a brass M16 blanking plug which I will drill and tap when it arrives

I bought a connector with wiring tails which I'lI splice into the oem loom, plug and play would be nice but really, if these sensors are better than stock therers no need to keep the stock plug.

I'm not really interested in making a kit for this as im too busy with work but I'lI do a 'how to' with links to where I bough the parts.Maybe next weekend when I'm home.

Can I ask where you got the sensor from?
I'm looking to do the same mod seeing as you did it so well
Cheers
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

Lefty1991 wrote:
Rob - East Coast Imports wrote:An update to this,

Can I ask where you got the sensor from?
I'm looking to do the same mod seeing as you did it so well
Cheers

eBay, search for triumph airbox sensor
Lefty1991

Post by Lefty1991 »

I have but everywhere I've seen is £30 not £10
Nails

Post by Nails »

Looks a real nice cheap mod. Just the way I like them. Nice work rob
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from= ... or&_sop=15

plenty there for sensible money.

@nails, if you decide to do this yourself you're welcome to use my drill/tap set if you need to
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Cheers rob. The danger of coming back from work after a couple of drinks, I've bought from both your links just now, thanks! (I think)!

I'll investigate the adapter, but ordered the sensor and clip anyhow.
Cheers.

Hope it works as well as I remember.
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

Re: the adaptor, I looked everywhere for an off the shelf item, not just automotive places, and couldn't find one.

I could make a batch up, but the only chance I get to use the lathe is when I'm away at sea which means it'll be a good few months before I could get them out to people - so the easiest thing to do would be to drill a blank like I did.

Or, if anyone has a lathe/pillar drill in their garage they may be kind enough to turn out a few for people that don't have the tools. it's only 5 mins work (literally) so I can't imagine someone wanting more than a fiver to do it.

maybe this thread is worthy of being made sticky or whatever?
ashley

Post by ashley »

I could probably be persuaded to knock up a few out of ali, but I don't want to be seen to be "selling" them as a trader :thumleft:

Oh- and I'd need some hex bar ali as well, the main cost being delivery from someone like http://www.clickmetal.co.uk/

Return to “Modifications”