Oukie's SC thread

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

oukie
IMOC Organiser

Oukie's SC thread

Post by oukie »

Hey hey lookie what oukie got :lol:

peek a boo

Got a few little jobs to do, first job, replace the Gods of THUNDER exhaust,
On my way home, overtaking my mate in his Mini Cooper, he had the window open and he later compared the exhaust to a Mitsubihi Zero on a strafing run At Pearl Harbour :lol: #-o

So as you do I just had lying around in my garage, a full nearly new Janspeed Stainless steel exhaust, anyway it needed a good clean and polish as it's been lying in the corner of my garage for half a decade.

The offending Trumpet of DOOM and ARMAGEDDON, next to the replacement ss system.

Got a few other jobs to do but :lover: :lover: :lover: :lover:
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)
PW@Woodsport

Re: Oukie's SC thread

Post by PW@Woodsport »

A word of advice, cut out the Janspeed centre joint and replace it with a flange with a good 6" flexi, it will save you much heartache later on, that system will crack on you as it does not have enough flex in it.
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

I had heard about that but, I do very little miles so thought it could wait :lol:

But advice not ignored, where am I likely to get that done, not sure where to look TBH,

Also I assume your talking about where the down pipe meets the rear section, roughly where the Magnex has a flexxy section.

The Janspeed does interest me, I read some time ago that it was the only exhaust system that had a proven % power increase, although that was on an N/A not sure how this would work with forced induction.

Thanks

Chris
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

It is something i could do for you, if you send it to me when the time comes i will tig weld a flange and flexi in for you, only charge for the parts, i'll do it for free to help out.

That Janspeed is going to be loud though, for me the Mongoose has the best sound to it on a Mk1, my daily driver SC is glorious under load on a Mongoose, perfection.
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

PW@Woodsport wrote:It is something i could do for you, if you send it to me when the time comes i will tig weld a flange and flexi in for you, only charge for the parts, i'll do it for free to help out.

That Janspeed is going to be loud though, for me the Mongoose has the best sound to it on a Mk1, my daily driver SC is glorious under load on a Mongoose, perfection.

Props for super dooper offer, I'm now thinking road trip.

I have a magnex on my other road going mk1, its a really nice noise,

The Janspeed cant be any where near as loud as the Zorst of POWWWAHHHH,

Can it,

I do have some factory specs for Db, the fitted exhaust is getting the car advisories on the MOT and also xxxx trying to race me even on my way home from buying the car, he was in a vectra :lol:
Me being the grown up..............! blew him off :oops:
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

Our sprint car used to register around 100dba static with a Janspeed/SC if you need a reference. I loved the sound but it was unnecessarily noisy for track work so I swapped it out for a Mongoose to allow me to keep my options open, they're fine for an occasional road car though.
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

Don't know why I never thought about this but.
I just thought about about my brother in law, he is a charge hand in a an engineering works, he made me a stainless steel water blade for my pond a few years ago,

I'm sure he could do it he builds things under far more stresses than an exhaust.

Where is the best place for the flexxi, on the down pipe or even have two, one either side of the flange.

Edit, been on flea bay, there is a plethora of them on there, any recomendations.

Chris
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Anything in stainless with the correct ID will do, you can leave the stock joint alone and fit one on the pipe running parallel to the silencer if you cut the bridging bracket off, which cracks anyway.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

PW@Woodsport wrote:A word of advice, cut out the Janspeed centre joint and replace it with a flange with a good 6" flexi, it will save you much heartache later on, that system will crack on you as it does not have enough flex in it.

+1

Mine has been welded up a few times now and has cracked again in different places. Such a **** design.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Thats b1ch1n bud .. what a nice car =P~
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Looks like a awesome SC. :thumleft: Will we be seeing her at JAE this year Chris? 8)
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

LimeyMk1 wrote:Looks like a awesome SC. :thumleft: Will we be seeing her at JAE this year Chris? 8)

Oh yeah 8)
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

2mad wrote:Thats b1ch1n bud .. what a nice car =P~

Cheers :mrgreen:
munter

Post by munter »

There's nothing wrong with that exhaust Chris!!

Btw someone on here was interested in it if I remember right, so if you're swapping it out might be able to flog it to them?

Enjoy ;-)
pkmr2

Post by pkmr2 »

That's a beautiful looking SC you got there oukie, starting to become a real rare beast these days :thumleft:
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

munter wrote:There's nothing wrong with that exhaust Chris!!

Btw someone on here was interested in it if I remember right, so if you're swapping it out might be able to flog it to them?

Enjoy ;-)

He he, I know it's just perhaps a bit loud for me
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Awesome car oukie ... how much you want :D :thumleft:
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

Not for sale :mrgreen:

Exhaust is growing on me, well it gives me time to get the Janspeed sorted with a flexi, had a good blast yesterday, had a twit in a saxo try race, me, I just made his ears bleed as I pulled away.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

oukie wrote:Not for sale :mrgreen:

Well it would be silly not to try :) .. best of luck .. shes bad ass :mrgreen:
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

She is aint she, the buddy club front splitter really makes the front more aggresive I :thumleft: it.

But the it's the whole package makes the car really pop, Paul (munter) previous owner did a sterling job of keeping the car in good shape.

My list of jobs.

Change relay in passenger door as central looking is not working as it should,

Fit new rear ball joints,

Possible needs new rear wheel bearing's (hard to tell can't hear :lol: )

Replace exhaust.

Quick question to anyone who might know, are the rear ball joints just standard mk1b jobbies or are they specific to the SC.

Chris

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”