[Mk2] [NA] High first initial idle.

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

kirk

[Mk2] [NA] High first initial idle.

Post by kirk »

Hi guys, I've currently got a very annoying issue, mostly when cold, where the engine idles up to around 2k revs and takes a good 5 minutes before it drops to around 1k. It does eventually settle at around 850 ish but it just feels like there's excess air entering the engine although I can't find no leaking vac lines. Now I used to have similar issues with my supra which was a simple fix, clean the idle control valve, I'm presuming this is a common theme on the 3S as well?
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Re: [Mk2] [NA] High first initial idle.

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

It's meant to do that.
kirk

Post by kirk »

Seems a bit excessive to me. Are you sure? I've never known any engine to idle so high for so long. Surely it could possibly be the flap inside the IACV or ISCV, as it seems to be referred to in these circles, sticking a bit no?
fred130111

Post by fred130111 »

Luke is right, my old rev 2 did this.
caldridge7

Post by caldridge7 »

these other two are useless... no luke is wrong your mr2 mk2 is not suppoesed to do that.

mine is doing the same...air leak o2 sensor, check fault codes etc
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

Mine on cold start up revs around 1.5-1.7k then drops to around 900 when engine is warm.

Caldridge is speaking out his lowe r mouth i think :lol:

Cars are meant to rev higher when cold
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

:roll:

What experience do you have to tell me I'm wrong?
caldridge7

Post by caldridge7 »

no
Last edited by caldridge7 on Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Ha. Being a 'technician' you shouldn't have any trouble with say, an o2 fault code would you! Or God forbid a fluctuating idle? Some of the simplest things to diagnose and fix. Quite clearly you don't know xxxx, so don't make out like you do.
mr2garageswindon

Post by mr2garageswindon »

They DO rev to around 2k upon initial start up from cold then drop down slowly to idle speed. 5 mins seems a bit excessive but it has been pretty cold recently. It would drop quicker if the engine was driven rather than let it idle. Whats the temp gauge at when fully warmed up? Maybe the thermostat is sticking slightly taking it longer to warm up?
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

caldridge7 wrote:First off I'm a technician, I have a MR2 mk2 rev 2 UK model and mine does not stay up at 2000 revs.

People are so dumb.

You will have to tell me a car thats just been made that is supposed to start up and stay on 2000 revs for 5 mins.

If you're going to call people dumb, you really should spell things correctly and learn where the shift key is on your keyboard.

In very cold weather, they will get up to around 2k on a cold start. This is normal on an MR2. Shouldn't go significantly higher than that, and it should be stable and gradually drop as it warms up.[/b]
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

caldridge7 wrote:these other two are useless... no luke is wrong your mr2 mk2 is not suppoesed to do that.

mine is doing the same...air leak o2 sensor, check fault codes etc

Is it really? Funny that. Post back when you've fixed it. I bet it magically fixes itself when it warms up in a few months time. :roll:
caldridge7

Post by caldridge7 »

gazza, you seem to have to much time on your hands, correcting me and all... if you can read what they guy actually put it was something along the lines of revs at 2000 revs for 5 mins.... NO CAR IN HISTORY SHOULD DO THAT.

shant argue with two loners that love a good text battle. ](*,)
Nic

Post by Nic »

As already confirmed, when started from cold a 3S-GE MR2 will idle at around 1800-2000rpm, then as it comes up to temperature drop gradually to around 850rpm. The 2JZ-GE Supra behaves exactly the same.

The turbos (3S-GTE and 2JZ-GTE) idle slightly lower at initial start up.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

caldridge7 wrote:gazza, you seem to have to much time on your hands, correcting me and all... if you can read what they guy actually put it was something along the lines of revs at 2000 revs for 5 mins.... NO CAR IN HISTORY SHOULD DO THAT.

shant argue with two loners that love a good text battle. ](*,)

:lol: You're the one who dragged up an 8 month old thread to call people useless.

Fact is, they do take minutes, rather than seconds, to settle down to natural idle on a very cold start, as several people here have confirmed.

I'm sure you know better though.

Return to “Mechanical”