Woodsport and my sickly Rev 2

We all need a little help or parts for our cars from time to time. Let us know who has helped. Please read the sticky before posting.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

outrun

Woodsport and my sickly Rev 2

Post by outrun »

Not really sure where to post this, but here seems to be the best place.

Being local to Woodsport, I rang Paul on Wednesday afternoon, regarding my poorly running Rev 2 turbo, to see if he would have time to look it over and/or give me a few pointers, and he said he would cast an eye over if for me.

I bought the car with a slipping clutch and unknown timing belt etc, so over the winter have done a fair bit of work to it, with help from Nails.
Such as cam belt, water pump, rebuilt alternator, clutch, resurfaced flywheel, all ignition components, removed A/C, alloy rad, all fluids, uprated intercooler, rebuilt brakes etc.

Needless to say, a lot has been removed and refitted, and the car was at the stage where it just would not idle, seemingly an air/boost leak.

So on Friday, I headed over.

Paul took a look at it straight away for me, and spotted loose clamps on the intake to turbo and intake to AFM (:oops: ) and then the bottom hose popped out of the intercooler, when investigating the crap, temporary jubilee clips holding the top boost hoses.

These were recommended to be changed... :lol:

Paul flashed the ECU for codes, removed the intercooler piping and fitted his own bypass pipe from turbo to TB, and he narrowed the problem area down.

He sprayed Easy Start on and around the TB and it became apparent that the air leak was sitiuated there.

He stripped the TB apart, and found that the metal gasket wasn't seated properly. Well, not seated at all. It had slipped off the dowels and was lucky to still be present and useable, imo.

I had the TB apart, when removing the cam cover to line up the timing marks, so I have no shame in admitting I dropped the ball, there!
(Even though I was aware of the two dowels and thought I had it seated..)

Paul re-seated the gasket and added some sealant to the rather ancient looking O-Ring, and she ran great, afterwards!

He also replaced a perished vac pipe from cam cover to TB.

After all of this, he would not take a penny in payment!
Luckily, I need a few parts from one of his breakers, so I am more than happy to at least be able to put some money into his hand.

It's a good job that Woodsport exists, be it for bespoke bodywork, crazy conversions, or just to pick up the pieces after numpties decided to pull their own car to bits!

The car wasn't really ready to go back on the road, but I needed to drive it, to see what kind of issue this really was, as just idling on axle stands doesn't really paint the full picture, so my hand was somewhat forced.

Not sure I would have passed that MOT, had I remembered to attend. :mrgreen:

Thanks again, mate.
I really appreciate your time and effort! :thumleft: :lol:

Oh aye, I also had a good look at the Devil Dog. That thing looks like serious brown trouser fun! 8)
PW@Woodsport

Re: Woodsport and my sickly Rev 2

Post by PW@Woodsport »

You're very welcome, thanks for the feedback :thumleft:

Return to “Trader Feedback”