Question From Newbie Here

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Drewski

Question From Newbie Here

Post by Drewski »

Hi everyone,

I've just picked up an MK1b that's been standing in the elements for a very long time...I estimate about 10 years. The body is better than I expected but before deciding to restore the car to its former glory, I want to make sure the engine isn't wrecked. Is there anything perculiar to the MR2 I should check before attempting to start up to prevent any further damage.

Many thanks, Drew.
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Re: Question From Newbie Here

Post by LimeyMk1 »

I'd change the oil and put some fresh fuel & plugs in for starters, while the pugs are out crank the engine by hand (socket on the bolt for the crank pulley).

Alternator may well be seized up from being sat for so long. If you can loosen up the bolts for it and remove the belt then you can check it rotates, same for the water pump.

Distributor cap and rotor could probably do with a clean up (oxidised).

Don't be too surprised if things like the starter motor needs work as well.

Any signs of rust on the chassis rails?

Oh yeah belts will def need changing but there should be enough life left in them to see if the engine will run.
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

These are known for the fuel pump to fail, if left in fuel for years, as the fuel go's off, I've had this with a barn find mk1, the fuel was utterly stinking. After eight years parked up. Tank and pump ruined. As the fuel had crystallized the insides.
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Along with the above, the fuel will probably have clogged the filter and the injectors, it may not run even with clean fuel to the rail.

It may well fire up though, i've had a few long term dead cars that have started right up, but i agree with the chaps above, fuel pump, alternator, tank may well all need looking at.
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

Thanks.....sounds like the usual routine. Is the fuel pump servicable?

LimeyMk1......considering how long the car has sat, most of it on grass, and reading through the forums about problems others have had, I'm pleasantly surprised at the lack of rot. The rear wheel arch to sills have gone on both sides but both sills, front panels, floor pans, all 4 wheel arches seem relatively unscathed. I grabbed a couple of pics of the underside and there are a couple of places that need looking into, gearbox mount for one, but the rails, while suffering some surface rust, look sound to me. I've only had a couple of fairly short inspections so far...and the car is new to me, but I decided that the rest of the car whilst covered in crud, was so tidy that, for what I paid, I can't lose on it. I'm prepared to invest some time and money though and the main aim is to get it back on the road and to keep the car for my enjoyment, (never, ever owned a sports car and I'm a big fan of '70s & '80s cars and bikes). The respray may have to wait a bit but if I can get it through an MOT without having to spend a fortune, I'll be over the moon. I was vicously gazumped on this car by the "mate" I'm buying it off only to see the it deteriorate over the years, whe originally for sale, I would have described it as "near mint" with only 62K genuine miles - very sad :(
I'd appreciate it if some of you could look through the pics I have so far and let me know what you think.

Many thanks again and all the best, Drewski.

EDIT; Ah...sorry, can't put up pics until I've posted more. :oops: Can I PM the link to someone to post? If not, I started a thread on the MR2 MK1 club in the newbie section if any use.
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Feel free to PM or email me the piccies and I'll post them up for you. :thumleft:

the 15 post rule for piccies is a bit of a PITA, it could do with possibly being reduced to 5. :-k
Last edited by LimeyMk1 on Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

LimeyMk1 wrote:Feel free to PM or email me the piccies and I'll post them up for you.

Nice one, doing it now.
You can remove the email addy if you like :thumleft:
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Slide show that Andrew sent:

http://s77.photobucket.com/user/Drewsko ... 0MR2%20MK1

Doesn't look all that bad considering.
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

Thanks for posting that, much appreciated :wink:

One of the places I havn't checked is the windscreen surround. If it was rusty there, would it show up?
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Doesn't look too bad actually. Obviously there is still a lot of work there. Expect rear calipers to be gone and there's all the brake and clutch lines to check and the bushings one might suspect.

Bit of a project, but it could be done. Good luck! :+:
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

Thanks Lauren. What goes on the rear calipers? Stuck/rusty pistons? Blown seals? Are they servicable?

Drew.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

They sieze on the pistons. You can get refurbed ones which is the easiest way to sort it. Unfortunately they are a crap design and nearly always cause issues.

I think you can still get refurb kits.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”