[Mk2] [Turbo] Fuel pump resistor.

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

kev8611

[Mk2] [Turbo] Fuel pump resistor.

Post by kev8611 »

Hi.

When running there is a constant very fast ticking noise coming from the engine bay. I have narrowed it down to the fuel pump resistor.

The resistor also gets really hot after a while. Car is fitted with a walbro, sard 800's and a sard fpr. It has only started doing this since fitting these.

What is the cause or is this normal?

Thanks
mr2magic

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Fuel pump resistor.

Post by mr2magic »

I would imagine that the walbro pulls way more amps than oem. This is prolly not good for the resistor pack.
kev8611

Post by kev8611 »

Yeah i thought that would have something to do with it. Would it cause an issue or does anyone elses do this?
kev8611

Post by kev8611 »

I have read somewhere that i can bypass this as it is used to control the speed of thee pump? Is this something i should consider or that i need to do.
mr2magic

Post by mr2magic »

1) An aftermarket pump should never run off the stock wiring! You can use the stock wiring to switch a relay that opens up a circuit for the aftermarket pump.
2) You can ditch the resistor completely. It's only there to reduce pump voltage at idle and low load.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

How to bypass the two speed and run permanent 12v .. did this on my car for easier tuning Image

Hope this helps 8-[

Article ..
http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/kb.php?mode=article&k=20
kev8611

Post by kev8611 »

Thanks for the input guys much appreciated.

I have already ran some heavier duty cable to the pump and took a feed from battery and so on.

I will do this mod aswell.

Thanks again
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Best of luck mate , hope everything goes well :thumleft:
kev8611

Post by kev8611 »

Very productive day.

Done this earlier today and was finally happy with everything so done some 3rd/4th gear pulls gradually upping the boost. Got to 1.1bar (was already pretty nippy) and it started hesitating. Tracked it down to HT leads which are not that old. Got another set i had still in the box and bunged them on. After burning alot of fuel I have finally got it at 1.7 bar and pulling like a train. Thats enough for me.

Knock levels around 30 and injector duty at 80% so can tweak it when i get more time but everything else seems in check according to my datalogit and wideband

Return to “Electrical”