[Mk2] [NA] Leaking quarter light windows....rusty sills...linked!

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

STUAW11

[Mk2] [NA] Leaking quarter light windows....rusty sills...linked!

Post by STUAW11 »

I resealed both quarter light window seals about 5wks ago, the passenger side was letting water in but dont think the drivers side was...but done it anyway.
Whilst doing this i had i look down the cavity below the window...took the bit of foam out which had some rust on it...water had been running down into the cavity..see pic. looked like rust had got into what i presume is the upper back part of the sill and very difficult to treat, i also looked at the same area on the other side and was rust free!
I know the sills are a weak spot on the mk2 anyway but im glad iv resealed the windows. Any ideas how to treat this before it gets worse?

87 T-Bar Manual Supercharger
98 T-Bar Rev5 Sonic Shadow
synXero

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Leaking quarter light windows....rusty sills...linked!

Post by synXero »

I guess it's a case of cutting it out and replacing it?
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Pretty much.

Get some dynax s50 and go nuts. From that angle but also from outside in. At least if you can get some serious cavity protection on the go it'll minimise ant further corrosion and probs halt it tbh
STUAW11

Post by STUAW11 »

[quote="androo007"]Pretty much.

Get some dynax s50 and go nuts. From that angle but also from outside in. At least if you can get some serious cavity protection on the go it'll minimise ant further corrosion and probs halt it tbh[/quote

I bought some of this a couple of weeks ago..but havnt had a chance to do it yet..like you say anything to try and stop it getting any worse...
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

I'd say that's too far gone for cavity wax, which is a prevention rather than a cure. Get it cut out and replaced properly then wax it. I wouldn't wax it now cause you'll regret it when you have to weld it up.
STUAW11

Post by STUAW11 »

Yes I can see what your saying...but I can't work out what part that is that's rusted....and getting to it wouldn't be easy...looking at the sill below there's no rust bubbles just some slight corrosion to the seams

Any ideas where this rust is?
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Its the inner sill end box. Whilst its got rot there its not an MOT structural failure and would cost £500 per side to correct properly. Hence why I suggested cavity wax to slow it down as something has to be better than nothing
JD

Post by JD »

Yeah, Dynax S50 is pretty hardcore - just make sure it's nice and dry in there before you apply. If you have the £s then a cut and weld job would be ideal, but the Dynax or Dinitrol or whatever you prefer will be quite effective in slowing or stopping the rot.
Mullen

Post by Mullen »

STUAW11 wrote:Yes I can see what your saying...but I can't work out what part that is that's rusted....and getting to it wouldn't be easy...looking at the sill below there's no rust bubbles just some slight corrosion to the seams

Any ideas where this rust is?

You get at it by removing the fibreglass vent panel & cutting your way in from the exterior of the car :(

Return to “Mechanical”