[Mk2] [NA] Passenge footwell carpet soaked!

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

STUAW11

[Mk2] [NA] Passenge footwell carpet soaked!

Post by STUAW11 »

I've recently bought a T bar rev5 and when cleaning the carpets noticed the passenger side football carpet was soaking wet! I know there prone to leaks but didn't expect this much...I had just presure washed the car! what parts of the t bar rubber should I check first......
87 T-Bar Manual Supercharger
98 T-Bar Rev5 Sonic Shadow
craig

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Passenge footwell carpet soaked!

Post by craig »

T bar seals.

The rubber gets hard over time and doesn't seal properly. Could try eccentric T bar guides, rubber rejuvenator, then new T bar seals.

Don't be tempted to bodge it with silicone, chewing gum etc.

Another thing to investigate is heater matrix leaking?
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

It is not always the tbar seals that leak.

When you open the door you should see a dirty line around the door shuts in the hinge area where the road grime does not get passed the door seals.
If you don't have that dirty line and its not something you have washed off then water can get passed that door seal.

In the footwell there are 2 vertical strips of plastic trip that overlap a little bit. If one of them has dropped as the glue has failed over the years then it can also channel the water into the footwell that has got passed the door seal.

With cars this old, all the rubber seals need to be treated with rubber rejuvenator/restorer from time to time otherwise it will shrink/harden and let water in.
Jay1b

Post by Jay1b »

I had this in a Celica and it was the heater matrix. In that case it had a very slight orange tinge to the fluid from the coolant.
STUAW11

Post by STUAW11 »

Its coming from the roof glass rubbers...where they touch the t bar rubbers...but iv hopefully sorted it..
87 T-Bar Manual Supercharger
98 T-Bar Rev5 Sonic Shadow

Return to “Mechanical”